PDA

View Full Version : Should the carriers be able to move in online maps?

VonShlagnoff
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
It seems daft that most carrier planes cant take off with any substantial ordanance /fuel load because the carriers themselves cant move, a couple of tiny tims and 25% fuel seems the max for an F4U, when in reality they could fly from carriers with a much greater external stores load.

In real life the ships would have steamed at full speed into wind, even on a calm day this would give 20kts over the wings of a stationary A/C therfore shortening the takeoff run. I know that in multiplayer D/F maps the carriers would not be steaming from one place to another but could you not make it so that they could steam in a large circle?

VonShlagnoff
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
It seems daft that most carrier planes cant take off with any substantial ordanance /fuel load because the carriers themselves cant move, a couple of tiny tims and 25% fuel seems the max for an F4U, when in reality they could fly from carriers with a much greater external stores load.

In real life the ships would have steamed at full speed into wind, even on a calm day this would give 20kts over the wings of a stationary A/C therfore shortening the takeoff run. I know that in multiplayer D/F maps the carriers would not be steaming from one place to another but could you not make it so that they could steam in a large circle?

fluup
10-30-2004, 02:07 AM
I can get my A20 with torpedo in the air from a carrier that's not moving. I agree in some way that they should be moving, though I can also see many difficulties if you'd move them.

My key to ketting heavy aircraft up in the air is to drive to the edge of the carrier (the beginning of the runway). Put chocks on, full power, pull the chocks away and WAIT for your flaps to lower themselves until the last moment and put them down to "landing" for maximum lift. As soon as you get ever the edge of the carrier retract your gear and you can just make it!

Have fun!

Troll2k
10-30-2004, 02:14 AM
That works when you are by yourself.It is tough to do that in a df map with people spawning and landing all the time.

fluup
10-30-2004, 02:29 AM
I was talking about DF maps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Did it A LOT yesterday on a full 16 player server. There's always space for you to drive back and take off. Just don't keep standing there for half an hour. Practice and thy will see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif