PDA

View Full Version : How many Gigs of RAM ya got on your system?

JadehawkII
04-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey all,
I have 2 Gigs of RAM currently but this weekend my local electronics store is having a sale on RAM memory and wondered if it would do any good to get 2 more Gigs od RAM for a total of 4 Gigs. Would this help the gameplay?

Your opinions please! And Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

FritzGryphon
04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
You don't need any excuse to buy RAM.

If you do think you need one, just think of the cost of all the drugs you're not doing.

WWSpinDry
04-14-2007, 10:43 AM
You can never have too much RAM. I just upgraded mine to 2GB in anticipation of KotS. If my system could hold more I'd have gone even bigger. Go for it!

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I got 2GB of Corsair XMS PC5400.

2GB is the sweet spot for games. You really do not need more for todays games. At least for the remainder of the year in my opinion. Unless you own FSX! Then you probably need like 6GB, lol.

When I went from 1GB to 2GB I saw a marked improvement in all my games pretty much. The biggest improvement came in the Project Reality mod for BF2. It cured all lag I experienced with only 1GB. The lag came from the new maps added with tons of new objects and large view distance.

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-14-2007, 10:54 AM
2 gigs here too and things are peachy. No need for more until Vista has grown more roots and exterminated some of the most common bugs.

horseback
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Depends on your video card, processor, mobo drivers, and maybe your soundcard. If one of these is your bottleneck, the RAM will have negligible effect.

I'd check my mobo drivers first, simply because downloading new drivers for it would be the least painful solution.

However, assuming that you're willing to put out the equivalent of $200 USD or so for 2Gb of RAM, it would be fair to point out that there are newer and more powerful processors and/or video cards out there in that price range as well, depending on your situation.

cheers

horseback

Hawk_345678
04-14-2007, 11:14 AM
i jsut got another Gb of ram this week, bringing me to a total of 2GB, and it did help project reality as well, along with some loading times for some other games, like said befor 2GB is the sweet spot, you really dont need more, but it cant hurt.

LStarosta
04-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I got two gags on my lapschtop.

PBNA-Boosher
04-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I have only 1 Gig on my computer here at school. At home, I think i have 512. Still runs pretty well.

JRJacobs
04-14-2007, 11:35 AM
4GB here.
XP cannot properly address more than 3GB (you need to add a switch in the startup line) but if you go vista or plan on going to vista before your next computer upgrade (as i am) it's definitely worth it.

Old_Canuck
04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
2 gigs. no probs here.

Superluminal_8
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
You don't need any excuse to buy RAM.

If you do think you need one, just think of the cost of all the drugs you're not doing.

Yes you do if you got Rambus like me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Bearcat99
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
2Gs for me also.

JR_Greenhorn
04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I've also got 2GB on my Il-2 computer.

I've got 2GB on my computer at work, as well. I was having problems with the CAD program I use, and another guy at work showed me how to add a line to boot in "3GB mode." Since making that change, I haven't had as many crashes running with really large page files (over 1GB). Maybe running 3GB of RAM with no page file would be even better?

JG52Uther
04-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Swapped out my 2 X 512's a couple of weeks ago,so now have 2 X 1 GB's.Happy as could be.

capt_frank
04-14-2007, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRJacobs:
4GB here.
XP cannot properly address more than 3GB (you need to add a switch in the startup line)/QUOTE]

4 here also.

Would you please expound on the "switch in the startup line"?

Thanks!

slipBall
04-14-2007, 02:35 PM
4X512 as well...

Haigotron
04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
1GB ddr kingston, and il2 runs like Oprah after a meal

JRJacobs
04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by capt_frank:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRJacobs:
4GB here.
XP cannot properly address more than 3GB (you need to add a switch in the startup line)/QUOTE]

4 here also.

Would you please expound on the "switch in the startup line"?

Thanks!

it's easy but if you make a mistake your computer may not boot - so print out these instructions first

Right-click My Computer and select Properties. The System Properties dialog box will appear.

Click the Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings. The Startup and Recovery dialog box will appear.

In the System startup area, click Edit. This will open the Windows boot.ini file in Notepad.

In the [Operating Systems] section, add the following switches to the end of the startup line that includes the /fastdetect switch: /3GB

Save the changes and close Notepad.

Click OK two times to close the open dialog boxes, and then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

(i.e. multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB)

capt_frank
04-14-2007, 04:08 PM
One last question before I venture into the "great unknown"...

I've got XP home edition, is this still okay for this version?

Thanks!

pacettid
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
3G

T_O_A_D
04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
2 Gigs Corsair

jarink
04-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I was just reading up on this subject last week.

The relationship between Virtual and Physical memory in Windows is a very technical and often misunderstood subject. Normally, Windows allocates 2GB of Virtual memory to it's core processes and an additional 2GB of Virtual memory to each application. Since this is Virtual memory, it has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory in your computer. It allocates 2GB/2GB whether you have 4GB or 256MB of RAM installed.

This is a good explanation of what "virtual memory" really is in the Windows world...

I think the problem is that people think that "virtual address space" means something other than just "virtual address space".

The term "address space" refers to how a numerical value (known as an "address") is interpreted when it is used to access some type of resource. There is a physical address space; each address in the physical address space refers to a byte in a memory chip somewhere. (Note for pedants: Yes, it's actually spread out over several memory chips, but that's not important here.) There is an I/O address space; each address in the I/O address space allows the CPU to communicate with a hardware device.

And then there is the virtual address space. When people say "address space", they usually mean "virtual address space".

<span class="ev_code_yellow">The virtual address space is the set of possible pointer values (addresses) that can be used at a single moment by the processor.</span> In other words, if you have an address like 0x12345678, the virtual address space determines what you get if you try to access that memory. The contents of the virtual address space changes over time, for example, as you allocate and free memory. It also varies based on context: each process has its own virtual address space.

Saying that 2GB (or 3GB) of virtual address space is available to user mode means that at any given moment in time, out of the 4 billion virtual addresses available in a 32-bit value, 2 billion (or 3 billion) of them are potentially usable by user-mode code.

About the /3GB switch:

From MS:
/3GB Increases the size of the user process address space from 2 GB to 3 GB (and therefore reduces the size of system space from 2 GB to 1 GB). Giving virtual-memory- intensive applications such as database servers a larger address space can improve their performance. For an application to take advantage of this feature, however, two additional conditions must be met: the system must be running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows NT 4 Enterprise Edition, Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Datacenter Server and the application .exe must be flagged as a 3-GB-aware application. Applies to 32-bit systems only.

again from MS:
Regardless of the amount of physical memory in your system, Windows uses a virtual address space of 4 GB, with 2 GB allocated to user-mode processes (for example, applications) and 2 GB allocated to kernel-mode processes (for example, the operating system and kernel-mode drivers). On systems that have 1 GB or more of physical memory, these two startup switches can be used to allocate more memory to applications (3 GB) and less memory to the operating system (1 GB).

Basically, the /3GB switch is only of benefit of your applications (typically MS Exchange or database software) has been designed to take advantage of it. I don't know if IL2 has been, but I'd doubt it.

By the way, I have 1GB in my PC.

Aviar
04-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I have 2GB. I've noticed that many players who sometimes have difficulties in my coops have 1GB (or less).

My personal opinion is that 4.08 requires a minimum of 1.5GB of RAM (Win XP) to handle 99% of the missions smoothly. The sweet spot would be 2GB.

Aviar

JadehawkII
04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies Guys N Gals http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
As for my system, I got 2 Gigs of RAM, Pentium D, ATI Radon X1800XL Crossfire capable video card. So don't think I have any bottlenecks!

I asked because I was not sure if more than 2 Gigs would be of any benefit for the gameplay. I see currently it's good for Il2 1946. But next question would be, would it be enough for SOW BOB?
I'm thinking yes it would on a minumum level, but I also believe that BOB will need much more and would think 4 Gigs would be the average. However, I have not heard anything to date how much RAM we'll need for BoB yet. Anyone know?

Thanks again Guys N Gals! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Treetop64
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
2 gigs Corsair. Had endless problems with bad sectors using Patriot so I made the switch.

papotex
04-14-2007, 10:56 PM
windowz home here, i can have a number of programs runing in the background,

track ir, joystick program, voice command program, IL2 or LOCKON and two or three other things and still the most ram i have seen in use is 1800 more or less..... right now anything more than 2 gigs you just wasting yo money

tigertalon
04-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Still on 1 GB, planing to upgrade to 2G upcoming week.

Tiny 512 on laptop...

WOLFMondo
04-15-2007, 05:34 AM
3GB under Xp64.

Sergio_101
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
4GB under Xp64.

4 gigs allows you to disable your virtual memory.
For some games you can make use of the extra memory
using a program like the "Riva Tuner" as extended
vide RAM.
I have assigned as much as 2 gigs to video
using the Riva Tuner.

it will not help in IL2, in fact it makes
a mess of things.
But in Quake4 or Doom3 it shows all the
texture the designers had to keep hidden
since video cards at the time lacked the texture memory.
Also helped in UT 2004.

If money is no object, massive amounts of RAM is good.

If money is a problem, spend it on video cards
and use 1 or 2 gigs of RAM.

If you are running only business applications
then 512 to 1gig is plenty for most.

Win2000 or Win98 run great on 256 megs of RAM.
Win XP likes 512 minimum.

Sergio

Sjeler
04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
1 GB. Had 512 but bought additional 512 just for IL 2. That was the first and probably the last time I bought additional/better computer component because of game.

R_Target
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
2x1GB Mushkin XP4000.

blit_ZEN
04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I have 4x512 for 2 gigs, once 1946 is loaded if u exit & restart the HD flashes briefly & u are back in business.

when flying a campaign with the same map no virtually no HD activity at all between missions.

tiger direct is selling ddr-400 1 gig sticks for $80 w/ a 30 dollar rebate, i was about to order a bunch to bring this machine upto 3gigs & build a e4300 w/ 3 gigs but I very rarely get rebates back & tiger direct seems to be troublesome to get rebates from.

If ya need ram & are good at fillin out forms..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...AIL&SRCCODE=WEM1337C (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2749433&sku=C10-5022&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1337C)

sale ends tomorrow.

They seem to have a lot of ddr2 stuff cheap but I just ordered a reconditioned saitek X52 & Pro flight pedals so thats it for extras for me for a while.

BTW total pricw w/ shipping for saitek setup $162.03 & they have seem to have more in stock.

GAU-8
04-16-2007, 01:44 AM
3 gigs as well. for TEAMSPEAK, my controller profile(for TS comms) track-IR, the actual game, plus all the dam process that need to run in the background... i thought "why not go 3..i cant hurt..."

(papotex..i completely disagree that 2 gigs is all you need)

glad i jumped up. i was at 2.

I too have page file turned off. hard disk sucks at trying to act like RAM.

woofiedog
04-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Running x2 1G, low latency, Patriot Extreme Performance PC-3200 boards.

PC3200 at 400MHz
Low Latency of 2-3-2-5

Does the Trick. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

mrsiCkstar
04-16-2007, 04:15 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM to one or two gigs... but I'm wondering if there are any advantages to having 1x2GB instead of 2x1GB... any thoughts?

WOLFMondo
04-16-2007, 04:39 AM
If you have a dual channel board then get 2x1GB. It will be faster.

PFflyer
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM
I am smooth with 1 gig. Those with any more are probably the same kind of people who have to make up for their "shortcoming" by driving some sort of fast car........

BrotherVoodoo
04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
2 gig of Patriot and have never had a second of issues with it.

bazzaah2
04-16-2007, 08:04 AM
2 gigs of Crucial - it's been just fine.

Worf101
04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
2 gigs Corsair. Had endless problems with bad sectors using Patriot so I made the switch.
Trust me, I feel ya. I RMA'd 2 gigs of Patriot RAM back to those guys almost a month ago and have heard nada from them till I started rattling my sabre. They came back with some limp-assed excuse that they've no more 1 gig modules avail to replace with. Are they kiddin' me? I'll never use them again. OCZ or nothing from now on.

Da Worfster

Lucius_Esox
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
1 gig Geil value ram here. Once loaded I don't seem to get any hard drive access at all.

Just out of interest to those in the know. I run 1024x768 at perfect setting with 4xaa and 8xaniso. Listening to some people they are saying they see a big difference by upgrading to 2 gig. I did buy 2 originally and saw no diiference in gameplay that I could detect so I took it back.

Would having a low screen res make my pc use less sys ram? I know video ram gets used more the higher the res, but sys ram.. ?

crazyivan1970
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
2GB here and there is a difference, but.....
only on the large maps. Keep in mind that there are maps in IL2 that over 500mb. Once you get on one of those, you`d wish that you had 2GB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lucius_Esox
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
2GB here and there is a difference, but.....
only on the large maps. Keep in mind that there are maps in IL2 that over 500mb. Once you get on one of those, you`d wish that you had 2GB

Yep I do tend to play online mostly in DF servers although am playing an offline campaign at the moment as well,, and come to think of it there are a few stutters in that,, have to look at my hd light.

Viper2005_
04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Only 1 gig of RAM here. I've been meaning to upgrade my system for quite some time, but never seem to get around to it...

woofiedog
04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Treetop64 & Worf101... sorry to hear of the Patriot problems.

After looking over the choice of memory at the OCZ site... I could have choosen better set of memory sticks. Wish I had seen that site sooner! But what can you say after drinking the poison.

JR_Greenhorn
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by PFflyer:
I am smooth with 1 gig. Those with any more are probably the same kind of people who have to make up for their "shortcoming" by driving some sort of fast car........ As a person who drove "some sort of fast car" for years, it's always fun to have to hear comments like this from those who can't justify spending their money on something merely for its performance value, while also harboring jealousy and contempt for those that have made that justification.

If I thought PFflyer could make a worthwhile point, I'd pull one of my 1GB sticks out and set it on the desk. Surely it's not doing any good in its MoBo slot. Maybe that exercise in futility would motivate me to finally buy another 2GB of RAM and eliminate page files. I'm sure that would be an even greater indication of compensation for "shortcomings."