PDA

View Full Version : Self-Sealing fuel tanks......

WarWolfe_1
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok, so as a skinner I have gathered many, and I do many books on A/c of WW2. I even recently bought one on the A-20/DB-7, that shows fuel cells being added to the bombbay, but it never mentions what they are made of.......
I go throught the rest of my library and can find nohting in anything else. Other than being noted as haveing them, but never says what they are.
So what where they made of, was it the same in all planes, or were diffrenet materials used in diffrenet planes or for that matter from nation to nation.

WarWolfe_1
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok, so as a skinner I have gathered many, and I do many books on A/c of WW2. I even recently bought one on the A-20/DB-7, that shows fuel cells being added to the bombbay, but it never mentions what they are made of.......
I go throught the rest of my library and can find nohting in anything else. Other than being noted as haveing them, but never says what they are.
So what where they made of, was it the same in all planes, or were diffrenet materials used in diffrenet planes or for that matter from nation to nation.

Taylortony
04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
fuel tanks vary from being a simply sealed wing structure to rubber bag tanks to metal tanks in the wing.... a self sealing tank is a sandwhich of rubbers that when penetrated the inner layer swells to seal the hole................ you have various thing also for fire extinuishers, the chinook itself uses fuel as the extinguishant, by spraying this in the tank it puts out the chance of fire by screwing the air oxygen ratio and hence kills the fire............ that also under heavy g crash landings was designed to have the fuel tanks literally shear off the outside of the fuselage seal all the couplings and roll off from the fuselage thus protecting the occupants if I remember correctly from my time on them.............

WarWolfe_1
04-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Ty Tony http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif