PDA

View Full Version : I need your guys' opinion: Saitek x36 HOTAS, yay or nay?

TeufelHund84
05-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I found someone who told me they're probably going to get rid of their x36 stick & throttle combo, just wondered if it enjoyed a decent reputation with you folks?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Well if its free, why not? Probably a gameport interface though not sure never owned one myself.

TeufelHund84
05-13-2006, 10:22 AM
No it's not free, I don't know what the asking price is yet either. I was just seeing what you all thought of it.

Hoenire
05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Nay

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TeufelHund84:
No it's not free, I don't know what the asking price is yet either. I was just seeing what you all thought of it.

Well if its not free I would not bother, plenty of perfectly good x45's out there going cheap and in good condition

SithSpeeder
05-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I own three Saitek sticks (Cyborg 3d Gold, X-45, and X-52) and they make a good product. They have very good support (forums, responsive email, etc.). So to answer your question, yes it enjoys a favorable reputation.

The X-36 is long in the tooth, however. I wouldn't pay more than $15 or $20 for a good used one. It's very similar to the X-45 which I consider to be a very good stick.

Refurbished X-45's used to go for around $40, but they are hard to find now.

Where do you live? (and if outside the US, what are the import laws?). What stick are you using now?

* _54th_Speeder *

NonWonderDog
05-13-2006, 12:02 PM
There were actually two different runs of the X36. The first is gameport, the second is USB. The USB variant whould work fine with the Saitek programming software in WinXP, but the gameport version will probably not be completely recognized in WinXP, and will most likely not work with any XP version of the programming software.

Find out which version it is, first. If it's the USB version, the X36 is almost identical to the X45 but without the rudder rocker and sci-fi styling.

triggerhappyfin
05-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
There were actually two different runs of the X36. The first is gameport, the second is USB. The USB variant whould work fine with the Saitek programming software in WinXP, but the gameport version will probably not be completely recognized in WinXP, and will most likely not work with any XP version of the programming software.

Find out which version it is, first. If it's the USB version, the X36 is almost identical to the X45 but without the rudder rocker and sci-fi styling.

The X-36 is actually identical to X-45 in it's function, rocker and all. What differes them is the inmates. X-45 has totally different processor inside and the program files are not interchangable. X-36 profiles dont fit in X-45's.
Otherwise same ****. X-45 just sci-fi..If not too expensive and with usb..go for it.

Taylortony
05-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I gave my x36 away and bought an x45 and there was nothing wrong with it, reason being it is not compatible with windows XP.......... it works ok and so does the throttle but you cannot programme the keys because of it being a gameport version....... IF it is the USB one you will be in luck as you should be able to use it.. saiteks blurb on the subject below

from the saitek

http://www.saitek.com/uk/supp/x36old_support.htm

Windows 2000/XP
The X36 Gameport is our oldest product and development ceased on the combo back in 1998, shortly before it was discontinued in production. Development will not be started again on this controller because it would be hampered by the fact that the X36 is unlikely to work on any PC that is powerful enough to comfortably run 2000 or XP due to the keyboard pass-through that it uses. This is the source of the programming ability for the stick and on modern-day faster PC's there is too much information coming through on this connection and the stick gets locked up, thus handicapping the full use of the combo. Therefore under 2000 and XP we will only be supporting our current, USB-connected controllers. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Wilburnator
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I have an old X36F USB and it's perfectly compatible with Windows XP. It has both a gameport plug and a USB plug. It's much smoother in operation than the X45, I feel it's a higher quality stick. At some point last year I decided to give the X52 a try, I saw it at a store and it seemed very smooth, like the X36 (not stiff and creaky like the X45) so I bought one. I gave it a week or so and decided it was an imprecise P.O.S. and went back to the X36 until my CH Fighterstick arrived in the mail.

If it's a USB model, it should be fine. If it's a gameport model, then it won't work with XP.

x6BL_Brando
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
unlikely to work on any PC that is powerful enough to comfortably run 2000 or XP due to the keyboard pass-through that it uses.

You ignore this piece of info at your peril. I have a Quickshot MasterPilot control panel, vintage 1998, that is unprogrammable on anything more powerful than a 486 running Win '95. I actually have a very old Compaq that is the only machine that can write to the removable program modules. Using 'compatibilty mode' doesn't help - you only have to say DMA out loud and it falls over.

Even for free the gameport version ain't worth having.

B.

Bearcat99
05-13-2006, 07:45 PM
DO NOT BUY AN X-36. PERIOD.

It is an old stick... and to tell the truth you sure this is a "friend" or an aquaintence.... frankly I cant imagine trying to sell a friend an X-36. I'd give it to him.. but not sell it to him. Go to eBay and look for an X-45 if you want a good stick or an X-52... but absolutely DO NOT PAY ONE PENNY FOR AN X-36.

BfHeFwMe
05-13-2006, 08:00 PM
If he wishes to gift it to you, fine, you can mess with it. Otherwise don't pay anything for an X-36, you will feel the pain, those were the days when saitek would not support their own junk.

The serial port version wouldn't even work acceptable in it's native win98. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Wilburnator
05-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I bought my X36 new after the original Il-2 came out, maybe in early 2002. They were still in stores then. I agree with Bearcat, it's hard to imagine a friend not just giving it to you, but as I said before if it's a USB version, and they do exist, it's every bit as good as an X45, better even, in my opinion. It has all the exact same buttons and functions, the major difference that I can see is that it has a different (better) centering mechanism, which is why it doesn't make any plastic on plastic creaking noises when you use it.