PDA

View Full Version : Oleg's response to my "new.exe." question.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-25-2004, 05:04 AM
I explained to Oleg that the new.exe seemed to help my 9800Pro, and that it seemed to cause stutters with my 6800GT. Here was his response.

"New exe is a beta, so there is some problems. This type will need much more work and may be will have it finally woking well not too soon... Its why we still keep the old one as well at the moment.
Just one notice. New exe need 1,5 times more memory (RAM) use. So stutters could be due to this fact on your PC. All that has more than 1Gb of RAM reported the more smooth gameplay than with the old one."

I only have 700+MB's of PC-2700 RAM so that is probably the reason I get stutters with new .exe. I didn't get stutters with 9800pro, but then I didn't run the game at nearly the level I can with 6800GT. Just thought some might find this information useful. I guess I'll start pricing memory http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Oleg_Maddox
11-25-2004, 05:22 AM
I confirm his post.
I simply unable to remember all that need to be told user.... So that new exe eat more memory I simply missed in readme for V3.01

PS. And I haven't special department just for the writing all the things... I do all things myself. Please take it in account and sorry for this.

Aero_Shodanjo
11-25-2004, 05:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
PS. And I haven't special department just for the writing all the things... I do all things myself. Please take it in account and sorry for this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im speechless... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif But you dont have to say sorry. I believe most - if not all - of us agree on this.

Just please take care.

S!

Hunde_3.JG51
11-25-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks Oleg, and please don't be sorry.

I'm sorry for making our e-mail exchange public, just thought it might help some people. I would never post anything that I felt was not meant to be posted on a public forum, I just wanted you to know that as well.

Take care and thanks again.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Hi,

Odd...as I have 512MB RAM and I get smoother play with the new exe.

Cheers,
Norris

Tooz_69GIAP
11-25-2004, 06:38 AM
I've got 768mb DDR RAM and I certainly have much smoother gameplay with the new .exe, although I have had some mystery lock-ups during coops, so I have switched back to the old .exe to see if there is any difference in the lock-ups.

SeaFireLIV
11-25-2004, 06:38 AM
Bugger, and I`ve just given away half of my Ram as well. (down to 512).

JG53Harti
11-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Ok so i hve to write that i have 2 Gigabyte RAM and have the stuttering too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Its not a stuttering like i cant play for sec. but its not as smooth as the old exe.
So maybe the point with more than 1 Giga and smooth running is not that point.

with the old .exe i can play with perfect settings and have betw. 40 and 100 fps.

my spec

AMD64 3500
ATI X800
Nforce3 Ultra Board MSI
WD 74 GB 10000 U/min

use newest driver and use 4.11 Catalyst

VW-IceFire
11-25-2004, 06:55 AM
The new EXE for me seems to work about the same as the previous EXE. I've only got 512mb of RAM right now so maybe thats why I don't see much difference.

It certainly loads quicker. Whatever its doing, it seems to work fairly well.

Oleg_Maddox
11-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Stutters with low memory may be seen when size of loaded map in RAM is greater than the RAM itself. It is correct for both types of exe. But for New exe, if virtual memory not optimized or slow speed hard drive for example, then these stutter could be more visible with new exe with low RAM memory

Easy to test with Fnlang Gulf map for comparison and if you have 512 Mb RAM - this will be shown very good.

klemlao
11-25-2004, 07:57 AM
512Mb RAM, 9600XT, 2.4GHz

new .exe loads faster and gives a few more fps. Occasional micropauses - yes (maybe a missed frame?) - but I can live with them now and again.

Intend to buy more memory anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

klem

VW-IceFire
11-25-2004, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
Stutters with low memory may be seen when size of loaded map in RAM is greater than the RAM itself. It is correct for both types of exe. But for New exe, if virtual memory not optimized or slow speed hard drive for example, then these stutter could be more visible with new exe with low RAM memory

Easy to test with Fnlang Gulf map for comparison and if you have 512 Mb RAM - this will be shown very good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting. The game seems to run fine on most other maps (I have not tested extensively) but when loading Gulf of Finland missions the game crashes between 20%-30% loaded. This is only with the _new.EXE. Standard works just fine.

I will continue to try the differences between the two.

tsisqua
11-25-2004, 09:43 AM
I appreciate all of your hard work, Oleg, but due to Ubi's anti-paying-customer protection, I think I will stick with the old .exe .

Tsisqua

NorrisMcWhirter
11-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I've had a lockup during a co-op with the new exe, too, but I wasn't sure whether it was a network dropout as my missus was on the blower at the time.

Anyone else had lock ups?

Cheers,
Norris

antifreeze
11-25-2004, 09:56 AM
> anti-paying-customer protection

Sorry, what does that mean?
I haven't run into any CD protection problems, except that you need the disk in the player, but that's usual these days.

tsisqua
11-25-2004, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antifreeze:

I haven't run into any CD protection problems, except that you need the disk in the player, but that's usual these days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a musician, and a teacher. I use Clone CD to create image files of my, and my students' recordings. I also use Daemon Tools to mount and examine my images. PF will not run while these are on my hard-drive. If you have them, you will get a message to disable them. Well, disabling is not enough. You have to uninstall them. The new .exe makes my workaround for this impossible, and I am not going to uninstall, then reinstall my legal software every time that I want to run a different application.

This type of copy protection doesn't stop pirates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I have purchased every product in this line, and have all the boxes, reciepts, and literature to prove it.

It's a shame that people think that it's ok to steal software. It's even more of a shame that Ubi punishes me for what thieves do.

Tsisqua

p1ngu666
11-25-2004, 11:00 AM
oleg, does the new exe cache more? or isit abit leaky with memory loss?

most stutters onwhine are due to planes spawning, would it be possible to store planes in ram, to reduce the stutters?

NorrisMcWhirter
11-25-2004, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antifreeze:

I haven't run into any CD protection problems, except that you need the disk in the player, but that's usual these days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a musician, and a teacher. I use Clone CD to create image files of my, and my students' recordings. I also use Daemon Tools to mount and examine my images. PF will not run while these are on my hard-drive. If you have them, you will get a message to disable them. Well, disabling is not enough. You have to _uninstall_ them. The new .exe makes my workaround for this impossible, and I am not going to uninstall, then reinstall my legal software every time that I want to run a different application.

This type of copy protection doesn't stop pirates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I have purchased _every_ product in this line, and have all the boxes, reciepts, and literature to prove it.

It's a shame that people think that it's ok to steal software. It's even more of a shame that Ubi punishes me for what thieves do.
Tsisqua <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect. PF does work mounted from an ISO with daemon tools; I know - I do it because my Toshiba DVD combo won't read *my original CD* more than once following a reboot.

What PF does object to is the virtual drive that is installed with clonecd; if it detects this, it doesn't work. Get rid of that and you should have more joy.

Cheers,
Norris

tsisqua
11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm not mounting PF. Eliminating the V-Drive didn't help, it was still detected on my system. I was originally running it from the cd, just like anyone else. I even renamed the D-tools folder, as well as the Clone CD proggy.

But thanks for the attempt at helping me, anyway. The sim is well wortgh the troubles that I have had so far. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tsisqua

ustahl
11-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Like Norris said, Clone CD is the bugger. When installing my legally bought PF, I removed Clone CD, Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120. After PF installation complete and working I reinstalled Alcohol and Daemon Tools, leaving Clone CD out, and made an image of the PF 2nd disk. I have this image mounted permanently on a virtual drive and my original CDs safely stored in their case on my bookshelf. No need to ever put the original CD2 into the drive when starting FB/PF 3.01m with the new.exe.
I'm sure the image is not 100% identical to the original disk due to protection, and it cannot be used for making illegal physical disks, but it's good enough just for starting the game from a virtual drive.
I'm sure this procedure has nothing to do with piracy, which I object to strongly.

Cheers,
Uffe

Blackjack174
11-25-2004, 12:43 PM
about memory usage , i think its caching more stuff (if not everything from a loaded map)
the factor 1,5 told by oleg is nearly correct , so it is wise tu turn on S3TC texture compression , because with 32bit textures il2FB had taken away nearly 1 GB phy. ram , now its almost the same with texture compression turned on ! without i most certainly would need not 1GB but 2,5 GB or more http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

tsisqua
11-26-2004, 09:54 AM
After reading some of the replies to Oleg here today . . . as well as after reading Oleg's replies . . . in particular the ones about piracy . . .

I want top say that whatever means are required to prevent piracy . . . I am ok with. I'll work around whatever I have to. "Jump the hoops" as it was put in another post. My gripe is fairly petty, compared to what 1C experienced during release.

Tsisqua

P.S. Thanks for the posts offering help, everyone. I was just having one of those days http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

crazyivan1970
11-26-2004, 10:22 AM
New exe occupies more memory on initial start up , but with mission loaded it manages memory incredible well and at the end it actually uses by far less memory and bandwith then old exe. At least from my experiances.

Jettexas
11-26-2004, 06:43 PM
"I again remind that new exe need more RAM in 1.3-1.5 times greater for the smooth play witghout stutters."
O. Maddox

Could someone clarify if this is just a by product of a not fully optimized beta patch, provided for testing purposes (for advanced users as was clearly stated in the beta release post) or if we can expect the majority of users to need a ram upgrade to achieve the same performance level when the final version of these "improvements" goes into effect?
Frankly This quote gives me case of the heebie jeebies, and Im not a rabid, whiner..axe grinder....or malcontent.
Im a loyal customer, with all three titles (and reciepts) and am very happy with the Il2 series.

Can someone less technically ignorant than myself please enlighten the curious? Is the bar being raised permanently in terms of ram required to run the game well.

Thanks,

Jettexas