PDA

View Full Version : Role of Wingman

sdcruz
09-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi all

I am playing IL2 the original version and flying for the Russians - and I am a wingman - what is the role of the wingman - do I stick to my lead like glue during missions or am I free to go for kills when bandits are spotted ?

Monterey13
09-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Protect him at all costs unless he turns you loose.

sdcruz
09-29-2007, 09:36 PM
will he actually tell me on the radio that I can go free?

bigbossmalone
09-29-2007, 10:17 PM
No, he won't -
but he WILL moan at you if you break off from the flight path!
My advice: protect him if he looks like he needs help, otherwise do your own thing; if you see some juicy targets, go get 'em!
He is just a silly AI, after all - and chances are, he won't help you when you really need it!
AI - very A, not so I !!!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BfHeFwMe
09-30-2007, 12:10 AM
You ain't protecting no one flying formation, break off and get in the fight. It's the best support and protection you can give. The dummy is going to get you killed if you stick with him.

Remember, he'll do even worse to you when you fly lead. Leave you the first sign of a fight and drop to zero altitude stealing others scraps where he can't help you even if he wanted to.

sdcruz
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
ok - its hard enough keeping up with the squad - i know it has been raised before - but geeze they seem to move quite quick and it takes me awhile to get into position - and thats if Its before arriving at the objective.

general_kalle
09-30-2007, 04:12 AM
AI = Absent intelligence

Hoatee
09-30-2007, 05:09 AM
'Til recently, I've never played wingman (qmb allows to fly only as leader). Other utilities like Mission Mate and UQMG allow to alter position so that you can play as wingman.

While you are free to fly solo as wingman, I'd try out the true role of wingman (follow and protect your leader) for a bit of variation. It requires a certain amount of restraint and discipline. Ai ain't necessarily dumb (since its skill can be set to one of four - and in UQMG can be set to random).

cawimmer430
09-30-2007, 05:13 AM
It's really funny when you're the flight leader say out of 8 airplanes and all 7 of your guys are fighting over a damaged and smoking airplane while the rest of the enemy is on your tail or picking off your guys! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif