PDA

View Full Version : Getting the best performance out of your aircraft...

darkhorizon11
10-30-2005, 06:56 PM
While reading Mludner's post I thought I would throw one up on a similiar topic.

Getting the best performance out of an aircraft...

Its funny I'm a Commercial pilot in reality but I have trouble getting the best numbers out of a video game.

My main question is with prop pitch, now I know obviously that as you increase in altitude you increase pitch, but how much and at what rate? I ussually go 5% per 500 meters and it seems to work alright... is that the standard rule or is there something big I'm missing. Although supposedly if you go full fwd (at high alt.) you get more power however I haven't noticed any increase when I do this and in a lot of planes you'll overspeed it.

How about mixture? I havent found a rule of thumb for this I just kinda lean it back until I get the best performance which is a lot like real life I guess (since theres no manual to refer too).

han freak solo
10-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Bump. I'd like to know performance reccomendations, too.

So, increasing pitch is the opposite of firewalling the prop?

The game shows 100% pitch with higher rpms achieved. This is decreased pitch, right?

FritzGryphon
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Most planes have constant speed propellors. Pitch changes are made automatically, and you merely control desired RPM. The "prop pitch" message is misleading.

To get best performance, you'd leave this on 100% (max RPM).

Few planes have manual pitch. The ones that do usually have an auto setting as well (Bf-109).

Tully__
10-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
In most planes, almost all, you do not control the pitch. You merely control desired RPM.

To get best performance, you'd leave this on 100%.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif
In most allied aircraft the "prop pitch" is actually the governor control for the constant speed propellor. 100% setting is max power RPM and should give best performance at all altitudes. It should also overspeed the engine in very high speed dives on some aircraft when the required pitch setting exceeds the governors range, but doesn't seem to.

The German aircraft use a different system, but unless you toggle off automatic mode it's still not direct pitch control in most of them.

I generally don't mess with it at all, so I'm not sure how much good it will do in game terms to aid your performance.

darkhorizon11
10-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
In most planes, almost all, you do not control the pitch. You merely control desired RPM.

To get best performance, you'd leave this on 100%.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif
In most allied aircraft the "prop pitch" is actually the governor control for the constant speed propellor. 100% setting is max power RPM and should give best performance at all altitudes. It should also overspeed the engine in very high speed dives on some aircraft when the required pitch setting exceeds the governors range, but doesn't seem to.

The German aircraft use a different system, but unless you toggle off automatic mode it's still not direct pitch control in most of them.

I generally don't mess with it at all, so I'm not sure how much good it will do in game terms to aid your performance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha I know I had a governor break on me in flight in an Arrow one time started overspeeding like a mutha. Luckily I was close to the airport and I was able to get best glide and bring her just fine.

I use auto pitch for 190s and 109s... but what about the other aircraft that don't have this system?

AH_Gonzo
10-31-2005, 11:25 AM
100% setting is max power RPM and should give best performance at all altitudes.

Not sure how it works in the game, but....

100% Propeller Pitch setting is when the blades of the prop are set to the finest (Smallest bite) possible while keeping the propeller RMP within limits (The Constant Speed Unit takes care of this to a certain extent). This power setting gives the fastest engine response and also sets the propeller to a position where it is taking many smaller bites of air at a much higher speed. Once speed increases, the normal €œFine€ propeller pitch angle may be too small and this causes €œPropeller Slip€.

When you reduce the pitch you are making the propeller blades more coarse, taking larger chunks of air at a slightly slower rate. This setting allows for less propeller slip at higher speeds. (With a fixed pitch prop, the propeller has only one speed where it is identically matched to the air flow passing through it. At all other times it will be at a slightly different speed to the air passing around. This is called €œPropeller Slip€)

Having a variable pitch prop, allows the pilot to continuously adjust the pitch of the propeller blades to coincide with the relative airflow and thus reducing Propeller Slip. Reducing the propeller pitch angle also lowers the engine RPMs thus saving fuel. The trick is to balance the amount of Propeller Slip while saving fuel at the same time.

In real life, when maximum power is required from the engine (This is only needed at slow speeds. i.e. Take off, landing, slow flight, etc€¦) the propeller is set to fine (Smallest bite). During cruise, the propeller pitch is reduced (Made Coarse) due to the higher airflow this reducing Propeller Slip and allowing for greater speed (To a certain extent) and lower fuel burn.

Rule of thumb:

Fine pitch for Finals (And take off)
Coarse pitch for cruise.

OMK_Hand
10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Take a look at some real life manuals for planes in the game.
The pitch (RPM) settings on planes with manually adjusted pitch are very specific at different manifold pressure settings for different jobs like climb, cruise, etc.

E.g. Spitfire V:

Combat climb from sea level to 10,000' =
2850 RPM, +9 boost, with 170 MPH IAS for best climb. 1 hour maximum use.

This can be achieved by setting the boost to +9 (with the throttle), establishing an angle of attack to maintain 170 mph, and reducing the propeller pitch to the recommended rpm.

These 60 year old engine settings are useable in the game, via the instruments. I think that counts for something.

I'm keen to use the engine on any aircraft within its limits now, since I'm convinced that it's beneficial to do so.
I haven't overheated or even unintentionally stalled in combat since getting interested in this a week or so ago after installing the new patch and having problems.
I knew it was a problem with me rather than the patch, so I consulted and used real life data for guidance and now I'm happy.
Aircraft seem to behave so much better when the engine is sweet, working within it's limits, and they seem to go just as fast as when the engine is shaking itself to bits at full throttle/rpm all the time.
Whether this is new, or whether I've just noticed something old, or whether I'm imagining some effect I've no idea...

For manual mixture; full Rich for take off and final approach, and 100% and less for everything else is a common recommendation in real manuals.
I read somewhere here that 10% lean for every 1000m is a decent rule of thumb in the game, and I think this works. It could be 2000m... Hme...

Also the 'blower', turbo, supercharger or whatever it's called has a role in some aircraft other than just increasing performance at altitude, for instance being used to help in the climb from sea level.

It's an interesting subject, and putting it into practise makes one realise why systems were automated in later aircraft. It's a lot to think about in combat.

WOLFMondo
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by darkhorizon11:

I use auto pitch for 190s and 109s... but what about the other aircraft that don't have this system?

Don't use the auto pitch on the Antons. You won't get the best performance by a long shot.

Use 90% for climbing at 350kph, a very shallow angle but it climbs well. Use 80% for level speed and accelation and between 60 and 70% for diving. If you want to slow a a dive use 100%. Don't bother on the Dora, makes no difference but with the Antons its important to say the least.

OMK_Hand
10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
FW190 A5, A6

Climb and combat from sea level to I-don't-know-how-high:
2400rpm 1.32 ata 280 km/h for 30 minutes maximum.

I think. My German is bad, I used Babelfish. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The specs I've read recommend 0% prop pitch for diving and gliding for many different planes.

Kuna15
10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
I am not 'experten' but I feel that FW-190A-4 could run on 100% ppitch (I also run it with Emil too, sometimes). On stronger machines like those in FW-190D, TA-152 or Bf-109G/K it is dangerous since one could ruin engine fast on 100% prop.pitch (dive overheat).

What is the new situation in 402 I don't know I have noticed that ppitch reaction is considerably slower in Bf-109 series (in 401 it would jump on rpm fast, now it isn't so fast anymore in rpm gain).