View Full Version : T/O in high wind

baddshot
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
need help taking off in high winds - any suggestion much appreciated - thx

B16Enk
04-12-2006, 07:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What AC?

Tail draggers are particularly difficult, I found that using tail wheel lock was essential, and toggling it during taxiing was necessary in order to make the turns required to get on the runway.

Short bursts of throttle work better than continuous high revs too, lowering revs once the rudder starts to respond.

Use of toe brakes too.

Sorry it's a little hard to explain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif, I tried a mission once that had thunderstorms and high winds. I chose the Spit to taxi and take-off in.
The wind was moving the plane around at spawn time!
I got the engine started then applied sufficient throttle to get the AC moving in the direction I wanted, too much throttle would result in a loss of control as would too little.
Once AC was headed roughly straight ahead I set the tail wheel lock, then tickled the throttle to maintain headway and direction.
The tail wheel lock can be overcome using throttle and rudder, so they need to be used judiciously.

When making turns it was a case of releasing tail lock, applying rudder in the relevant direction, and a brief increase in throttle. Re applying tail wheel lock when AC is headed in correct direction.

Take off itself was fairly easy, tail wheel lock engaged and rudder used to maintain direction, once tail was up it was then pretty much a normal take-off.

I suggest mapping tail wheel lock to a convenient button...

Landing was interesting, but a lot easier http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hope my rambling makes some sense for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FlatSpinMan
04-12-2006, 07:49 AM
I immediately apply tailwheel lock as soon as I spawn. Then your plane won't be blown about while stationary.
Then just throttle up gradually. I actually use regular brakes to correct the ground looping, even when I'm gathering speed. A quick application of brake will often straighten you up.

Haigotron
04-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Is the tail wheel locking historically accurate? Im sure the wind is blowing hard on the body of the plane, more than the puny wheel at the ground...

or is it because you lock it, it prevents the plane to drift with the wind to one side?

rnzoli
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
it's historical, the P47 training video mentioned that lots of time

it prevents the wind from turning your tail around

also good for handling torque and propwash effect

BUT (and a big BUT): you have to align properly with the runway heading before locking the tailwheel

baddshot
04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
had tailwheel locked - High Wind in some coops -

NonWonderDog
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
BUT (and a big BUT): you have to align properly with the runway heading before locking the tailwheel

I haven't really found that to be the case, but I probably don't fly as much as most of you guys. Perhaps it's different for different planes, depending on the lock mechanism?

The mechanisms I've seen don't just stop the tail wheel from castering, they use (in the simplest implementation) two brake pads on a flared wheel stem to lock the tail wheel into a longitudinal orientation. You can engage the lock with the wheel at any orientation, but you have to jiggle the plane a bit to get it to settle straight. I've seen at least one mechanism (forgot where) that enabled tail-wheel steering when you turned on the lock! I guess the mechanism could lock the tail wheel backwards, but I don't think the caster angle is really all that important once it's locked.

I'm not sure what happens in game, now...

On a historical note, tailwheel lock was required during taxiing in brisk winds. The tailwheel lock was recommended for nearly every takeoff and landing in planes so equipped. The P-51 actually had an automatic tailwheel lock (AFAIK not in the sim) that engaged when you pulled the stick all the way back, precisely so you couldn't forget to use it on landing and the early stages of takeoff.