PDA

View Full Version : Micro Pauses?

MisterMark
09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I know this has been covered but I can't seem to find a straight answer to fix the problem...

I have a pretty decent machine and I run with 'moderate' graphic settings, don't fly with more than a few 4 plane flights in the air and I'm getting pauses during the game. It doesn't seem consistent enough to pin it down to a particular circumstance but off hand it seems to happen during some of the radio chatter as well as more graphic displays of pane damage (explosions, fire, etc.)

What can be done... I had this problem with the original IL2 and I had a super fast machine for the time. Seems this problem would be fixed by now?

Please help,

Mark

blairgowrie
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
This belongs in Community Help. Thread moved.

X32Wright
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
You have to find out what is causing the stutter. It could be your soundcard or lack of soundcard which affects your framerate and ultimately freezes when there's too much load like flak and ground objects. SO to test if the issue is the soundcard, run the IL-2 SETUP and turn off SOUND and see if you get the stutter too.

Now once that's out of the way try to find new video drivers and test ecah one and see if you find anything that would remove the stutter. Try old drivers as well as new ones.

In most cases stutters are also caused by LOW RAM. This game needs a min of 1 GB ram and runs smoother at 2GB and up.

FInally you can try to use the PCI LATENCY UTILITY TOOL from guru3d and set your video and sound latency to 64 if not 32.

MisterMark
09-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Ok seems it is some sort of sound related problem... Once I turned the sound off the pauses were gone.

I tried turning down hardware acceleration in XP sound control, streamlined my graphics card to highest performance settings, and turned all the sound and graphic settings in IL2 to minimum. Despite these efforts I am still getting the pauses!

My system is a laptop with pretty good specs (intel core2 t7200 2ghz and 2 gigs of ram). The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600GT but the sound it probably some sort of on board sound solution. Could this be the problem?

Back in the days when IL2 first came out I had a well above average machine and I experienced the same sorts of pauses and that machine had a full dedicated PCI soundblaster card.

I wonder if sound related stutters are due to some sort of 'unpacking' protocol by IL2? Meaning since there are no .wav files in the IL2 directory this means they are embedded in some sort of proprietary file type. Once the game is running and a particular sound is needed, IL2 retrieves the sound by 'unpacking' the sound file.

I know when I was playing EAW years ago I got a similar problem of stutters when I UPGRADED my machine. A few of us in that community figured out the problem... It was the fact that EAW had compressed sound files and only loaded them when needed. On an average machine, you wouldn't notice these paused because the 'average' frame rates allowed the program to get the sound files without being noticed. On a faster machine, it was as if the sound file retrieval was now the bottle neck. The problem was solved once we found the compressed sound file and unpacked it's entire contents manually to wave files.

I don't know just a thought. Any IL2 program tweakers out there that can chime in on the subject?

Thank you,

Mark

WhiteSnake_76
09-09-2008, 02:31 AM
A soundcard would normaly fix it but that gets a bit harder to do with a Laptop, altough there are a few external soundcards available for laptops that are pretty good Expresscard models and even a Soundblaster X-Fi Go USB card.

Dont think the way the sound is packed should be a problem here especialy since your using a Dual core and usualy you will only get a freeze from a sound once as it gets loaded and after that the problem is gone.
For example some people notice a slight freeze the first time they fire there guns at an enemy, so to solve this they fire a short burst on the ground before take off.

MisterMark
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Well that's exactly what I am saying... Maybe the sound is not much different than what is going on with the graphic in the sense that the first time a graphic is used the program goes and gets it from some sort of a compressed master file. Once it has been accessed, it doesn't cause a problem because it is now loaded. If I had to guess a graphics probably loads faster than a sound file.

WTE_Galway
09-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Vista or XP ???

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Sound is usually the issue for stutters. If you do not have a quality sound card such as a Audigy or X-FI you should minimize your sound quality. Having 2GB of RAM certainly helps as well but from my experience its more sound related.

S!

MisterMark
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
XP

Freiwillige
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Run the setup program and in your sound settings turn off your hardware acceleration or something acceleration. not at home so I cannot look. That should fix it as that is a common reason for stutter in my experiance. Hope that helps!