PDA

View Full Version : Two features for new patch or BoB?

CVK_Monkey
07-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Hello all,
I am not pressing anyone or whinning. I just want to share two features which would make this sim more realistic:

1. Machinegun and cannon jamming... As I remember in early version this feature was in game. Why it was removed? Now we can see spraying and spraying and spraying... This is unrealistic. Gun jamming was quite common in that times.

2. If any plane apply its engine boost there should be also some "smoke burst" at first and then some "smoke" from exhausts. As some real pilots said it looked like such plane was damaged. Also this smoke burst looked like that plane was hit. I think it should look like now looks Me-262 when flying on 110%. You can see this gas smoke, but why this is not implemented for propeller planes?

So maybe you can add these two things to this game. I think it should improve general gameplay a lot.

Salute!

CVK_Monkey

CVK_Monkey
07-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Hello all,
I am not pressing anyone or whinning. I just want to share two features which would make this sim more realistic:

1. Machinegun and cannon jamming... As I remember in early version this feature was in game. Why it was removed? Now we can see spraying and spraying and spraying... This is unrealistic. Gun jamming was quite common in that times.

2. If any plane apply its engine boost there should be also some "smoke burst" at first and then some "smoke" from exhausts. As some real pilots said it looked like such plane was damaged. Also this smoke burst looked like that plane was hit. I think it should look like now looks Me-262 when flying on 110%. You can see this gas smoke, but why this is not implemented for propeller planes?

So maybe you can add these two things to this game. I think it should improve general gameplay a lot.

Salute!

CVK_Monkey

FritzGryphon
07-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I remember Oleg saying that exhaust smoke was tried for IL-2, but nixed because of performance issues.

Hopefully we'll see it in BoB. From the videos of the warbird 109s, you can see the engine makes visible (though thin) smoke even in normal flight.

TimTam27
07-28-2005, 07:43 AM
A couple of days ago I set up a quick mission with Ki-100's vs B-29's at the highest altitude allowed. I looked at the external view of my plane (Ki-100) and noticed thin streams of black smoke coming from each side of the cowling where the exhausts exit. When I went to a lower altitide the smoke dissappeared. Try it yourself and see if you get the same results. Looks like at least one aircraft leaves the exhaust smoke at full throttle. But only at high altitude.

stubby
07-28-2005, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
I remember Oleg saying that exhaust smoke was tried for IL-2, but nixed because of performance issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd. Right now if you run a plane at 120% mix, it will vent black smoke. Seems that could use that setup to simulate exhaust smoke. Everytime you watch a show footage of those ol' WWII planes, everytime they throttle up, it spits out black sooty smoke. Would be cool to see.

JunkoIfurita
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
TimTam, you would also have noticed your engine RPMs going down when you reached the altitude with the thin streams of smoke.

That smoke is one of the visual indicators that your fuel mixture is too rich - it's unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust.

If you pulled your mixture richness back to 80% for example, you'd notice the smoke disappear and your RPMs kick back up.

----

AerialTarget
07-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Gun jams have never been modelled. If your guns are not working, they are either out of ammunition or damaged by enemy fire.

Perhaps you are thinking of Red Baron 3D?

Dash_C.
08-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Random failures in general would be nice in BoB. Engine trouble, guns jamming, radio inoperability, etc. shouldn't be overlooked.

VVS-Manuc
08-05-2005, 04:42 AM
It could be an option as in MS Fligt Simulator. There you can even determine the rates of failures

VW-IceFire
08-05-2005, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimTam27:
A couple of days ago I set up a quick mission with Ki-100's vs B-29's at the highest altitude allowed. I looked at the external view of my plane (Ki-100) and noticed thin streams of black smoke coming from each side of the cowling where the exhausts exit. When I went to a lower altitide the smoke dissappeared. Try it yourself and see if you get the same results. Looks like at least one aircraft leaves the exhaust smoke at full throttle. But only at high altitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Set supercharger to stage 2 and reduce fuel mix. The mix is too high for that altitude. Thats a much thicker trail than what you get from say a 109 flying in the air.

Also, most warbirds I've seen...a 109E, Hurricane, Spitfire, Corsairs, Firefly, and other types usually emit quite a bit of smoke when throttling up from say a takeoff start.

Gato__Loco
08-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Random failures would be an excellent feature for extra realism, and I'm still amazed that they haven't been included in this sim. I think they should be optional (add them to difficulty settings), and should include a large array of pro blems, including gun jamming, stuck landing gear, tires blowing off during takeoff or landing, engine sputters and radio failures. I hope we will see this in BOB!