PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone here play Silent Service?

operezm
04-08-2005, 09:51 AM

JamesGuerro
04-08-2005, 10:32 AM
You forgot the NES option, thats where I first learned of sub simming.

PsychoFritz
04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I played the NES version too...I still have it somewhere...maybe I will have to play that all summer when I'm away from my computer for 3.5 months.

Capt._Tenneal
04-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Did I ever ! Silent Service is what got me hooked on sub sims (no, simulations in general). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I still fondly remember it. I played the PC versions, though. Microprose was a great game publisher.

LordBane2005B
04-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I played it on my Amiga/500. I think it was a 500 anyways.

S VIIC_41
04-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I played it on an A500+, or maybe that was Silent Service II... or both... I definitely played SSII but I don't know about 1... I think so.

Jose.MaC
04-08-2005, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt._Tenneal:
Did I ever ! Silent Service is what got me hooked on sub sims (no, simulations in general). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I still fondly remember it. I played the PC versions, though. Microprose was a great game publisher. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! I got the PC versions, and I've ever loved Microprose games. Still playing both SS and Tank Platoon.

Caseck73
04-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but do you remember GATO?

alanschu
04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I played the first one on an Apple IIgs.

Although I sucked at the game. I didn't like how you moved slower while underwater, so I always surfaced....and didn't understand why I died all the time.

ping-me
04-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Hell yes! Silent Service was the first game I ever played on a computer (not counting my old Atari console)

My dad was a submariner, and when he was skipper of a 637 boat I went to sea with him for a week, on a transit from Norfolk to Florida (they were on their way to AUTEC). One of the chiefs had a C64 (I think, might have been something else..long time ago) and the only game he had was Silent Service. PLaying a sub sim on board a sub was pretty **** cool. Especially the most defining moment...I made a crash dive to avoid a jap destroyer, at almost the exact same second the crew started running "angles and dangles" (is that what it's called?) and took a sharp down angle.

Then I got SS for my Tandy 1000 and the rest of my childhood was lost to stalking convoys in the pacific....

quillan
04-08-2005, 11:18 AM
On an Atari 800 here, ages and ages ago. Haven't played a sub game since, until this one.

marioh99
04-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I played the NES version, alot.

dquock
04-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I remember Gato! It was in brilliant CGA graphics. No mucking about in black and white, now you can play the game in lovely cyan, magenta, and a few other colors I can't remember.

Silent Service on my Apple IIe was what originally got me interested in submarine simulations. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt._Tenneal
04-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I did play GATO also ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I remember around that time a PT-boat simulation came out around the same time too, the name escapes me right now. I loved the Silent Service and Gato manuals, definitely SHIII's manual falls short compared to those. They even described how to do a manual attack on the TDC, complete with explanations of AOB, tactics, etc. It was like reading a textbook.

CapBackassward
04-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Yep. It and Microleague baseball got me into computer gamin'. There was something in Silent Service that I haven't seen in other sub sims and that was drift. You could be in an inlet, pass or straits and experience drift from the currents. Silent Service was a great sub sim.

Rick

cheesey69
04-08-2005, 05:09 PM
zx spectrum 48k remember them?

steve_v
04-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Yes, I did it on my Commodore 64

also have SH I

HeibgesU999
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Well on my ibm peanut acutally.

And I used to drive my college roomate nuts with that ticking sound the engine would make on high TC.

AnkleBitten-2k5
04-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Silent Service was the bomb way back when I was 14 on the C64... that was my first naval simulator..

Anyone remember Strike Fleet, also on C64 and possibly other systems?

Johnny_JG2
04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I played GATO also. One of the first computer games I ever played in the early 80s. I used to play it all night long- I loved it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ping-me:
Hell yes! Silent Service was the first game I ever played on a computer (not counting my old Atari console)

My dad was a submariner, and when he was skipper of a 637 boat I went to sea with him for a week, on a transit from Norfolk to Florida (they were on their way to AUTEC). One of the chiefs had a C64 (I think, might have been something else..long time ago) and the only game he had was Silent Service. PLaying a sub sim on board a sub was pretty **** cool. Especially the most defining moment...I made a crash dive to avoid a jap destroyer, at almost the exact same second the crew started running "angles and dangles" (is that what it's called?) and took a sharp down angle.

Then I got SS for my Tandy 1000 and the rest of my childhood was lost to stalking convoys in the pacific.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great story, and yes, it's called "angles and dangles". Those were great to experience on a submarine - those, and emergency blows. During emergency blows, everyone not on watch would go to the bow, since it felt like a roller coaster up there when we broke the surface. Great times..

SubQual
04-08-2005, 05:36 PM
There was also a great game about the BIG war ships, as well as a good game about old sloops of war :-)

Aviar
04-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Silent Service II was my first computer game. I loved it....got me hooked on computer gaming.

Aviar

Warmonger_sub
04-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Ahhhhh, the golden oldies!

SS1 on C64, SS2 on Amiga.

Say whatever you want, but no game today can revive the intense feelings we had when we played these games (or Tank Platoon, Gunship, Carriers at War, ...).

NaturalBornGoth
04-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Hell yeah! I played it! I played it on my C64, on my Amiga 500 and on my PC(s). And then there was Silent Hunter, then nothing submarine-related for a long time, and now Silent Hunter 3!

I never got around to playing modern sub sims like 688. Is there anything recent around that is fun?

Oooh! Tank Platoon and Gunship 2000! I loved those!! I also loved F-117 Nighthawk and some game about commanding a Patrol Boat... forgot the name.

Olebass
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Actually over the years there was a few. Hunt for red october, Attack 688 and a few others.
But ya Silent Service is what got me hooked gamewise to sub sims, I was already a WW2/naval nut. Played it many hours back in my Apple 2 days.

snowdawg1
04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Played that for hours on the PC Played a little 688 but it wasnt the same. Was really hooked on SS

Targ
04-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Mac 512K in 1986!
I loved that game plus that wireframe flight sim game, forget the name but it was fun flying through the wire of the golden gate bridge!

jfink252
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Hehe, Silent Service on the C-64.....it was sweet for the time, but owning a c-64 was harsh....the manual for Silent Service was packed with facts and set up each single mission wonderfully......and there was just one manual for all the platforms, so there were messages to the side of all the cool single missions saying they were just available for every version but the C-64.....which made you think "this is cool, but how cool would THAT be?"....also, you had to love the death screen, what with your captain at the conning tower view, and then blue filling up the entire screen from the bottom........hell, it was better then the death scenes for SHIII.....:-)

jfink252
04-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Sorry, you've caused too many flashbacks with this thread...........

I just tried LOAD "*",8,1 for the first time in years.

Silent Service was awesome....most everything Microprose did was sweet....Pirates, Gunship....anyone remember Airborne Ranger?

GATO was cool, but I got a copy second hand without the manual, and never did quite figure everything out.

Strikefleet was cool, and a huge step up from Pegasus....but it was irritating as hell, especially on the longer missions.....it always seemed that the Russians and their Kirov class cruisers were knocking all my missles out of the air, and all my AA missles missed all of theirs....plus, they had air strikes with those hellacious kingfish missles that would break 90% of your ships in half with one hit, plus they had submarines, and I never, ever, dodged one of their torpedoes.....

The funny thing is that sitting here looking at my modern day computer that has more power turned off than the C-64 did, I realize just how much they are alike....my external cd drive is just about the right size for a 5 1/4 inch drive, most things are all usb now, which is kind of like Commodore's interface.....but the cable modem is much, much faster than my original 300 baud modem for a C-128............

Sorry, flashback is over.

Johnny_JG2
04-08-2005, 08:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Silent Service was awesome....most everything Microprose did was sweet....Pirates, Gunship....anyone remember Airborne Ranger <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I totally agree- Microprose was THE BEST game publisher. All of their games came with comprehensive manuals- real thick and pack full of facts about all of the weapons systems and tactics you would face. I played M1 Tank Platoon, F117, Gunship, all those classic Microsprose games, and all of them were incredible.

blue_76
04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
missed out on SS, but i did play SS2 which i enjoyed very much.. have to agree about microprose . all their games were awsome.

http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/S/silentservice2.png

druss911
05-24-2006, 01:20 AM
wasn't there a game called up periscope, or down periscope? The opposite of the comedy movie. That was a fun game, had a big a$$ campaign mode. played it on the c64 back in the day

VikingGrandad
05-24-2006, 04:37 AM
I played Silent Service on my ZX Spectrum+ when I was at high school. My homework was late many times because of my commitments to the USN!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/VikingG/silentservice2.jpg http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/VikingG/silentservice.jpg

Happy times! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fizilbert
05-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Holy cow, Sid Meier did Silent Service? Never knew that.

I played it long ago on the atari 2500. It wasn't even on a floppy disk, it was a cartridge you put into the top of the atari computer. I'm just too old now.

longam
05-24-2006, 05:38 AM
Oh yes, the good old days. SS on an Apple IIgs, the wire frame flight sim sounds like MS flight sim ver #1 I played on the apple IIc. IBM clones after that, not enough games for the Apple.

Kingcobra24
05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Definitely brings back many memories. Played almost all of Sid Meier's Microprose games on the C-128 way back when - before I had grey hair http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
Let's see, there was Silent Service, Silent Service II, Red Storm Rising, Fleet Defender, Aegis, Hunt for Red October, 688, plus the air sims like Gunship and Gunship 2000, F117 Nighthawk, A6 Intruder, 64 Apache, that then made their way to the PCs, including Longbow, Silent Thunder, F-15, F-15 II, F-15 III, Falcon 3.0, Falcon 4.0....

past memory overload!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

U-SCOUNDREL
05-28-2006, 10:21 PM
It was actually my quest for silent service and a desire to relive the simming of my youth that brought me across SHIII. It's amazing how little, and yet, how much has changed in 20 something years. That game was certainly ahead of it's time in terms of its sophistication. Ahhhh, the good old days!

1.JaVA_Hornet
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
- commodore 64 silent service 1
- amiga 500 / 1200 silent service 2
- amiga 500 / 1200 silent hunter 1
never bought silent hunter 2 because of
the bad previews.