PDA

View Full Version : Saving played missions

lechiffre
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I've recently become cofident enough to save the odd campaign mission or two(like the ones where I manage to shoot down at least one fighter and avoid getting my own *** shot off long enough to land safely, natch) Imagine my surprise (maybe you dont have to) when the replayed mission doesnt turn out the way I remembered.....everything seemed pretty much as I remembered it until the critical dogfight, when I seemed to be firing my guns at fresh air (no enemy in sight) while engaging in some pointless aerobatics. Then while on my way home (I distinctly remember making it back) I was shot to pieces. On another occasion I lowered my landing gear and flaps and attempted to pancake in the Pacific,with predictable results. This occurs when saving after the mission has been completed. My combat record is unaffected. I just wondered who else had come across this and if there was a fix. I think I've got all the patches, installed in the right order, I play IL2FB/AEP/PF offline only. After upgrading graphics to nvidia 6800GS I upped most of the settings including water. Systems 2800Athlon Barton 1gb etc etc okenty hard memory. All replies welcome and appreciated and if I cant fix this well maybe my curiosity'll be satisfied if nought else. Thanx for taking the time to read my gripes. Great fun otherwise.

Kuna_
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
The only way to save the campaign (campaigns) from crash is to backup your Missions and Users folder within main game folder.
Actually if you have some experience with windows files etc. you can try to backup only campaign files within Missions folder (since it contains graphic TGA files medals, and other files those are there by default). If you are not sure just back it up as it is.

You cannot save the mission status just the campaign as a whole.
------------------------------------------------

Anyhow your problem is not in saving mission but in the recording. You can cure it by making NRTK (online type of recording). Common offline TRK can get $crewed often due to desynchronisation (you can accelerate deccelerate time) and it causes TRKs to display incorrectly.
Also some maps (especially well populated ones) will often cause TRK to display incorrect track.

Just press "Record" button while you are in flight. Other cure to your problem does not exist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thefruitbat
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
i'm guessing by saving, you mean recording a track of your flight, not your campagin, as this happens automatically?

There is two different formats for recording tracks, trk and ntrk.

When you save the track at the end of the mission, it saves as trk format. I dont know the exact differences, but trk format dosent save as much info as ntrk, and the replays can get a bit screwy, espescially if you paused during flight.

I've never had any playback problems with ntrk though. To save using ntrk, you will have to bind a key to start/stop recording, and you have to manually start it recording at the start of your mission.

Another advantage, is that ntrk are compatible with different patch versions, unlike trk.

hope this helps

fruitbat

leitmotiv
09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info, thefruitbat, I've sometimes seen a really good brawl come out as my crashing into the water in the first few seconds. Most annoying of all, save a track and you get a window telling you it was lost---a very rare event but always happens after you do something incredible and you want that track!

lechiffre
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Well slap my thigh and burn my bannocks that was blooming quick......and thanks. I never realised there was a problem with .trk files because I've only just started saving them. I HAVE made .ntrk recordings in the past and had no problems with them. Its a shame cos I kind of like being able to decide retrospectively.......whenever I remembered to record the session beforehand I either got my a** shot off or trashed the plane. Meanwhile my few glory moments(these were early days, I've still got a lot to learn) went unrecorded :-( Oh well now I know and thanks again.