PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Damage

ebonheart_2_329
05-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Is it possible for the holes and things on the outside of the plane, show up in the inside as well? Like you have bullet holes going down the side of the cockpit.... could you see land through them? or if you had a large hole from a cannon round.. see a bunch of land through it.. or clouds or something? ;-D))

and what about wind noise from such holes in the cockpit? I dont think there is any.

GoToAway
05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
If there were holes in the fusage part of the cockpit in an area that the pilot could see out of, I don't think the pilot would be doing much flying. Whatever made such a hole would have almost definitely hit the pilot.

Fennec_P
05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Not necessarily. There is a lot of places the bullet to go, and not hit the pilot. It seems to be quite common in real life battle damage, especially with bombers.

For example, Igor Kaberov was flying a Yak (I think, it's a long time since I read that book), which took a shell hit on the bottom fuselage. It blew away part of the floor, letting him see the ground below, but leaving him unhurt.

This is possible with the game engine, but might take a lot of time to model complicated wreckage and holes. Also, these things would not correspond to exterior damange, since cockpit damage models and exterior damage models are seperate things.

fherathras
05-14-2005, 05:22 AM
bling

ebonheart_2_329
05-14-2005, 05:06 PM
What would have to be done to link up the interior damage with the exterior damage... just time and effort right?

Ya, especially bomber... Flak and stuff... and in a bomber the shell that does the damage could kill somebody, like the nose gunner, and than the whole nose might be gone... like in many B-17 photos. 8-O

ebonheart_2_329
05-14-2005, 05:13 PM
HERES THE PROOF EVERYBODY!!!
Atleast some of the pics... aviously other pics. say some of the crew were wounded or killed.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/fuselage.htm

What a sim that would be. 8-)

ebonheart_2_329
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Also.. it doesnt seem to me that the "bullet proof" glass in some of the windshields helps any... you still get bullet holes and things.

If you look at the second page from the above site, there is a ball turret that got hit by a 20mm right between the guns... but it was stoped (mostly) by the gunners center windshield.

I have also hered on the history channle of a P-51 pilot haveing a 20mm hit his windshield and was stoped... but he couldnt see through it after that.... I dont think it would be very hard to add cracks and holes to the windshields, instead of just bullet holes, not all were just thin glass, or plexy.

tigertalon
05-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi ebonheart, thank you for sharing the link. Would be cool feature to have, but IMO right now, at the end of Il2 series, there are more important issues to be resolved. But would be cool to see this in BOB.

Fennec_P
05-14-2005, 11:55 PM
In the actual damage system, armor does help to stop (or slow down) bullets.

For example, the FW-190 front window can stop 30cal bullets and even 50cal at long ranges. You can survive a lot of hits from bomber defensive gunners.

In the IL-2, the pilot is very well protected. You will rarely get injured while flying it.

Compared with, say, LaGG-3 with no armor glass. You get shot in the head right away.

ebonheart_2_329
05-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh, I know there are more 'important' things to work on... but everything matters, and this would certainly help. :-)

I dont have any of the IL-2s but I do have PF... I have noticed in a few aircraft there seems to be some protection... but I have definatly noticed that the IL-2 flyer will hardly ever get hit in Fighter Ace 3.5... its not near the sim as IL-2, but it is still fun, and getting pritty good, with all the updates and stuff. ;-)