PDA

View Full Version : Is this a viable option for 56k users?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Noticed this in another thread, about the only constructive means to help out 56k users.

You can also ask a buddy who has broadband to download it for you and then burn it to CD which is what I've done for my mate, he just need to buy his own licence...simple!

Say I can get a copy of said file that was downloaded from the Ubi site. All I have to do is order my copy VIA Ubi site with my plastic, obtain the key that is needed, install the boonty box thingy so that it sees the file and loads it as per normal .exe file?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Noticed this in another thread, about the only constructive means to help out 56k users.

You can also ask a buddy who has broadband to download it for you and then burn it to CD which is what I've done for my mate, he just need to buy his own licence...simple!

Say I can get a copy of said file that was downloaded from the Ubi site. All I have to do is order my copy VIA Ubi site with my plastic, obtain the key that is needed, install the boonty box thingy so that it sees the file and loads it as per normal .exe file?

georgeo76
04-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes, that will work. If your in the states, I'll burn you a copy. PM me your address

I think this is legal, since you can't run the program w/o the key.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok, thats a start. My main concern is now if I buy it, it gives me the way to the boontybox installation, then all I have to do is drop it into the boontybox installation folder were it would normally download it.

I would really hate to go through the trouble of paying for it and it not working.

I don't see how it can be illegal, I am getting the file that only boontybox can install and I need to basically pay for boontybox and key.

OMK_Hand
04-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi.

Just for information, I downloaded the file 4.05 from Ubi overnight using 56k modem with no problem.

Set it up before retiring, and this morning - there it was.
Did have to watch the default settings with this booty thing 'though, I believe that by default it was configured to delete the downloaded file after having installed it. Bit sneaky that...

Good luck.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Well I can honestly say I am happy for you, however my ISP provider can not be trusted when it comes to downloading large files, more often then not I get a corrupt download if the file is larger than 40Megs.

"I believe that by default it was configured to delete the downloaded file after having installed it. Bit sneaky that..."

Another one of Ubi's stupid tactics, take your money then take your file.

OMK_Hand
04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
This booty thing has pause and resume functions. Can it pick up from a broken conection, like 'free download manager' or sumsuch can?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm sure it can, my download manager GetRight can reestablish a lost connection, however its the chance of getting a corrupt file and having to try to redownload after paying once already.

GerritJ9
04-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I downloaded Pe-2 using 56k and yes, you can stop the download, shut down your computer, and resume downloading whenever it suits you- no problems. That is just about the only positive thing I can say about the Bootybox fiasco, though. It prevented me from d/l-ing at work since my employer's IT service prevents installing and running any unauthorized programmes. So instead of downloading in less than 30 minutes for free, I was stuck with a 12 hour+ download. Bootybox serves no purpose apart from adding unwanted content to my comp. Fortunately it can be removed once the add-on is installed, although it takes several steps to do so.
Oh I installed the add-on manually using Luthier's instructions- went without a hitch, Bootybox isn't needed for that.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-29-2006, 03:23 PM
So in short, I just need the downloadable file and to purchase my key. No BoontyBox?