PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 6800 bug - suggested developer fix

flyinj
03-12-2005, 06:57 AM
I don't know if the developers post in here or not-

As far as I understand it, there is a bug with how the NVidia GeForce libraries scale particles in the game.

The particles look fine when looked at through 1x magnification, but at any higher magnification they scale themselves incorrectly. This makes them appear much larger than they should when viewed through magnification. This then leads to them filling the entire screen. I don't really understand why this ONLY happens with Silent Hunter 3's engine... I'm assuming they are relying on some strange call to the core NVidia or Direct3d graphics library that is bugged. Why no other game has this problem is a mystery to me. Yet, I digress...

The fix the developers have proposed is to simply turn off all particle effects with a hot key when the player is using magnification. This would lead to losing all water particle effects while using any magnification from the conning tower.

Another more elegant solution would be to have all the particles that are close to the viewpoint (the particle generators associated with the sea spray off the bow of the ship) tagged differently than all other particles in the game. Have a setup option for whether the player has a GeForce 6800. If this option is selected, have the engine scale the relevant "bow spray" particle generators down to the correct size when any "magnified" view option is used (binocs).

This would eliminate the problem with the GeForce drivers until NVidia decides to fix them. Granted, it would also require a patch from the developers once NVidia gets around to fixing the problem... because once it is fixed, the player would want to have the "Have GeForce 6800" option not selected in the setup menu.

The main problem I'm seeing here is that NVidia can take a full year to address a problem with a game. I remember trying to play Rise Of Nations and having the farm flicker bug, rendering it unplayable. It took them 7 months to fix it.

negus1
03-12-2005, 07:08 AM
It is not only the 6800, also 5xxx cards are affected.

Even if it is a driver problem the devteam did a mistake. you can't release a game that has such a flaw with 50% of the graphic boards.

TASKFORCE1x1
03-12-2005, 07:09 AM
There is a new patch out now at nvidia.com. Maybe this will help.

TASKFORCE1x1
03-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Version: 71.84
Release Date: March 11, 2005
WHQL Certified

U.S. English
File Size: 17.9 MB

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html

negus1
03-12-2005, 07:13 AM
nope, it does not help. has been checked already.

flyinj
03-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Yes, the newest NVidia drivers do not fix the problem.

It takes NVidia forever to fix problems with the highest profile games. I cringe to think how long it will take them to fix problems in a niche-market simulator product.

JG27_Arklight
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry, but what your suggesting does not "fix" the issue, it merely provides a "workaround".

If there is a "workaround" provided in a patch then Nvidia will NEVER address it.

I want a fix, not a workaround.

Having to turn options off on a $400+ videocard is bull****.

Charlie901
03-12-2005, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Sorry, but what your suggesting does not "fix" the issue, it merely provides a "workaround".

If there is a "workaround" provided in a patch then Nvidia will NEVER address it.

Having to turn options off on a $400+ videocard is bull****. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree!

NOW CAN SOMEONE ADVISE IF THIS OCCURS WITH OLDER NVIDIA DRIVERS!!!!

negus1
03-12-2005, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:

Totally agree!

NOW CAN SOMEONE ADVISE IF THIS OCCURS WITH OLDER NVIDIA DRIVERS!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by "old"???

stevenwhiting
03-12-2005, 04:04 PM
As I've said many a time, it might be with those specific drivers so rolling back to earlier ones may or maynot fix the problem. And apprently its only that white over effect when your moving thats the problem. Aslong as you aren't moving it will be fine.

JG27_Arklight
03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevenwhiting:
As I've said many a time, it might be with those specific drivers so rolling back to earlier ones may or maybe fix the problem. And apprently its only that white over effect when your moving thats the problem. Aslong as you aren't moving it will be fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what the issue is and I'm not worried about that part.

What bothers me is providing a workaround and not an actual fix. If the dev team patches the game and includes a workaround as an option then Nvidia will have no reason to fix the issue. Therefore, if the issue persists with other drivers then Nvidia owners will be **** out of luck.

It is already a pain in the *** getting Nvidia to fix issues with their drivers and I don't want to make it even more difficult. lol

Charlie901
03-12-2005, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by negus1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:

Totally agree!

NOW CAN SOMEONE ADVISE IF THIS OCCURS WITH OLDER NVIDIA DRIVERS!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by "old"??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I consider "OLD" any Nvidia driver prior to the 66.93 series, duh!

If I'm assuming that they tested SHIII on an older series driver and it worked fine then we need to know how "OLD" the driver series is. That way we can possibly "Roll BAck" our drivers till a "FIX" is released.

thefalen
03-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Whats up flynj http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charlie901
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Lets hope someone with an early copy finds a driver that works!

hakentt
03-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a Nvidia fx 5700LE card. Do you think thats effected too?

Ubisoft says it is supported: *Supported Cards at Time of Release
NVIDIAā® GeForceā"ž¢ 3/4/FX series

Are they liars?

altstiff
03-14-2005, 12:17 PM
hakentt,

The problem is not with the game working it is a problem with the UZO and sea spray effects.

Your card will run the game fine but from what I have heard 6800 owners have issues when using the UZO.

Charlie901
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Apparently it's a driver issue so it might possibly effect all Nvidia Cards that use the same drivers.

Charlie901
03-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Lets all bombard Nvida so they release a driver fix A.S.A.P.

Anyone got an email address for driver fix requests?

mmyles
03-14-2005, 11:33 PM
*Pets his ATi card* http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

altstiff
03-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Keep petting it, the game has issues with some ATI cards too......