PDA

View Full Version : P-40 Blues

asurob11963
02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
My name is Rob Roberson and I am a P-40 addict.

I admit it. I hate myself for it but I love the P-40. I love to fly her, I love to fight online with her. The problem of course is...she is so outclassed online versus 109s, Mustangs and others its painful to always be the prey. Any advice on how to get the most out of my ride?

thanks

asurob11963
02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
My name is Rob Roberson and I am a P-40 addict.

I admit it. I hate myself for it but I love the P-40. I love to fly her, I love to fight online with her. The problem of course is...she is so outclassed online versus 109s, Mustangs and others its painful to always be the prey. Any advice on how to get the most out of my ride?

thanks

Slechtvalk
02-01-2005, 12:00 PM
It's very good in turning, always try to maintain your energy and lure them in a turnfight whenever possible and use combat flaps when needed. The engine is a weak point, it often get hit by enemy fire fast (keep this in mind). When you encounter a good bf109 pilot and he got more energy you will have a very hard time. In this case your clouds are your best friends (when they are near).

VW-IceFire
02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Dive on the target, use turn and dive speed to advantage, and then hope that nobody every catches you at a disadvantage.

The P-40 has an excellent dive, excellent control, and decent firepower. Its pretty tough except for the engine. Its a good plane, in the PTO its not bad throughout the entire war really...but elsewhere its pretty badly outclassed.

PBNA-Boosher
02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Outclassed? ARE YOU KIDDING? The P-40 is NOT outclassed. High roll rate, incredible armament (6 .50's or on the early versions, the okay armament of 4 .30's and 2 .50's) High dive speed, great elevator authority, incredible reliability, and can withstand a ton of punishment as long as you protect that Allison up front.

P-40's need a lot of discipline, but with practice, you can beat a 109 or 190, almost every time.

Akronnick
02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Fly in a server where the Warhawk is bad-***, Zekes vs Wildcats has a map where red has a choice of four planes, Wildcat, Buffalo, SBD, and wait for it, P-40! Yeah, the P-40 will get owned against later planes, but in early war scenarios, the P-40 is tough to beat.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Early war the P-40 can be used very effectively as an energy fighter against Japanese planes and it excells at low altitude energy tactics in Russian front scenarios against 109s and ealy FWs. I prefer it to Soviet equipment because of the increased speed and ability to sustain very high speed dives. In late war scenarios its tough to win with the P-40 because its powerplant and design are just so out of date. When North American asked if they could produce their own fighter, the Mustang, that was kind of the end of the P-40. Once that thing got in the air how much of a priority could the P-40 be.

bolillo_loco
02-01-2005, 09:17 PM
I run a afrika korps server sometimes. It is the online mt map (desert). the plane set is 1941 england vs germany. hurricane, tomahawkIIb vs 109F4. now the 109 does have a speed and climb advantage on the tomahawkIIb, but the P-40 has a definate roll and turn advantage on the 109f4 and at high speed or high altitude the roll/turn advantage is drasticly in favor of the P-40. the P-40s guns tear up the 109 where as the single mg 151/20 in the 109 seems pretty ineffective against the P-40.