PDA

View Full Version : Good Flight technique - hints/tips

Buk_Nekkid
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could provide a list of hints/tips in regards to good flight technique.

What I'm after is any info on suggested flight training regimen.

For example:
1. In a turn, how much altitude should be lost/gained whilst turning?

2. Any info on the use of the throttle during turns/climbs/dives.

3. Any info on the use of trim during cruising/gaining altitude/combat.

Basically I'm after any info/tracks that will help to enable me to be a better pilot.

All help truly appreciated

Cheers, Neil http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

K_Freddie
06-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Jump in a plane and get out there....
Reading books and watching tracks on the finer points of flying, suddenly make no sense when in combat.
Maybe what you're really looking for is info on the tactics of winning.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xiolablu3
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Best thing you can do is get online, set up teamspeak and get onto a freindly server like Ukded2 or Historia. These guys will welcome anyone with a good attitude, and will be glad to fly with you. From what I have seen, there is much less 'competition' between pilots on these servers and they all help each other out, flying all sides and all planes.

You will earn more in an evening from chatting and fighting alongside others than you would from reading books for a week.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PM me if you need help getting started.

Persecutor_352
06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
To play a game, do as suggested above.

To learn a bit more about being a skilled simulator pilot, browse these (http://352ndfg.com/IL2/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=77) pages.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies!!

Xiolablu3
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Of course, we only play 'GAMES', whereas Persecutor plays the far superior 'SIM'.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

p-11.cAce
06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
This should be your bible. (http://www.av8n.com/how/)
The BEST source of piloting information on the net - period.

JG14_Josf
06-12-2007, 10:10 AM

1. Always climb before fighting. This is very basic. Even in teamwork the leader should make the guy who can't keep up to keep climbing – always. The leader should not cut throttle – get ˜tail end Charlie' climbing faster.

2. Cutting throttle in a decelerating turn will decrease turn radius and increase turn rate right up to the stall. This is very good to know when forcing an overshoot on a faster plane or turning inside a slower plane as you shoot down the slower plane. Pitching up while cutting the throttle further increases deceleration and therefore further increases turn rate and decrease turn radius in a decelerating turn, again, very good to know when forcing an overshoot against a faster plane. On offense the target dictates attitude (in other words your target doesn't abide by your preferences for going up, down, or straight and level).

3. Trim becomes a measure of velocity if you become familiar with trim. Become familiar with trim – you won't regret the effort.

CarpeNoctem43
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM

1. No altitude should be lost in a turn. A turn is not bank 90 degrees and pull back. A turn is made at a speed that your plane turns best at: At this speed you will have a a bank angle of something significantly less than 90 degrees. You use rudder to keep the "ball" centered and pull back / release stick pressure to maintain altitude.

2. In a climb, increase throttle to 100% or more (prop pitch should be 100% or there about Bf 109 excluded). In a dive, reduce throttle (unless you have a reason not to, i.e. chasing a runner) You can reduce pitch significantly in a dive. In turns, if you reduce throttle you can turn faster radially because you are going slower. However, turns are best made at best turn speed which means you need significant amounts of G-load. So therefore - you may want to increase or maintain a higher throttle setting.

3. trim settings: These are by feel - and should be used to reduce the stress you have to place on the stick. Technically you trim the plane to fly at a certain speed with a constant power setting.

Additional tips:

1. You will be told to pick one plane and stick with it. I wouldn't do that if I were you. Start off on the easier planes to fly, Yak's La's Spits while you get the hang of flying and dogfighting. Contrary to their own beliefs, everyone starts off in this game wanting to turn and burn. So do that while you become familiar with IL-2 flight models. Every so often, jump in your favorite plane and take it for a ride and pony up on a DF server. The gradually ween yourself off the easier planes. 4 months and you'll be flying with the best of them.
2. Hook yourself up with Team Speak! Nothing you learn will come close to the value of communications.
3. Get on a server that favors the plane you are flying. (Spit's v 109's for spits or 109s Warclouds for P-47 / FW-190 & P51 / 109s with spits and tempests thrown in for good measure)
4. Go to http://www.joint-ops.com/ and sign up for their classes. There is a lot to learn here and their advanced courses are simply outstanding!

-CN

hi_stik
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I personally think Warclouds is a bad idea, because of the annoying deathkick. If you're new, and you wipe out on takeoff, or taxi into something, etc., you're already behind the power curve. The other suggestions are perfectly on target, however.

Also try Zekes vs. Wildcats. It rulz.

Akronnick
06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by hi_stik:
I personally think Warclouds is a bad idea, because of the annoying deathkick. If you're new, and you wipe out on takeoff, or taxi into something, etc., you're already behind the power curve. The other suggestions are perfectly on target, however.

Also try Zekes vs. Wildcats. It rulz.

If you can't takeoff without crashing or taxiing into something, your not ready for online anywhere. Warclouds is my favorite online server and I recomend it even for new players. The deathkick is only five minutes after three deaths, which gives me just enough time to releive my bladder and freshen my beverage... if your new, I think it would be a good idea to record your missions to a track file, you can use the deathkick time to review the footage and learn how you got killed.

Just some thoughts

JG14_Josf
06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I personally think Warclouds is a bad idea ...

Warclouds is one of, if not the best, servers for playing the game IL2.

That can be confirmed individually.

Buk_Nekkid
06-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanx for the replies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Plenty of info there for me to mull over.

I venture online occaisionally, usually only on full realism servers as I fly offline without icons/map/etc as it certainly is more immersive and I don't like seeing numbers and letters flying around in the sky (ruins the tracks that I really enjoy watching http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Thanx again for all your help,

See ya's up there....

Cheers, Neil

CarpeNoctem43
06-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I personally think Warclouds is a bad idea, because of the annoying deathkick.

The death kick pays off dividends for what it is intended to subdue. on purpose collisions, blind base raids, etc. The point I was trying to make was to find a server which has a fair amount of people flying your favorite plane. If it's FW's WarClouds is the place to be, even for a beginner.

The deathkick is only five minutes after three deaths

Not entirely true anymore; after death kick you can get right back in as of a month ago, or so.

Raven

Xiolablu3
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JG14_Josf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I personally think Warclouds is a bad idea ...

Warclouds is one of, if not the best, servers for playing the game IL2.

That can be confirmed individually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, what does

'That can be confirmed individually' mean?

Its certainly a very very smooth server

However I dont like to have the same planeset every map, I like to fly all the planes in the game.

You end up mostly with most of the blue team in Fw190D's (You cant blame them) fighting Spitfires. Then just a few in the other types. Pretty good matchup (Spit 25lbs would suit Dora better IMO, SPit IXe vs 190A6 and A9), but I cant do that every map.

I believe they now have a server with different periods/planesets>? Is that correct>?

ake109
06-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Which is the best server which allows the Me262a-1a? I feel most comfortable flying that one.

Xiolablu3
06-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Hmmm, I have only seen the Me262 on vertain maps on some servers.

Most servers tend to run maps one after another, each with a different scenario and planeset.

Therefore many servers use the Me262, but you will have to wait for the map with it on to come around.

UKdedicated2 uses Me262 on some maps, like the Berlin map :-

Fw190D
Me109K4C3
Me262
AR234
Ju88

vs

La7B20
Yak3P
Yak9U
A20
IL10

Good map, very balanced.

Viper2005_
06-14-2007, 05:34 AM
When flying, remember that energy is life. So if in doubt, try to fly faster and higher.

When shooting, remember that closer is better. If a fighter sized target doesn't fill your gunsight then you're much too far away. If in doubt, get too close, and then get closer!