PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?'s From A....Newbie!

WitNit
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
S!

I have some questions and I know at least one of them will be down right silly. So please bare with me.

a) I am wondering if there is such a thing as flight schools for rookies? I would like to find one that doesn't require joining a squad. I will like to join a squad in the future, but for now I am just interested in getting some training. Training from the ground up is what I am looking for. I have very, very little sim flying experience(about 20 hours with WarBirds a long, long time ago) and no military experience so I even need training on ranks. Silly I know.

b) Call signs-I found something on the net regarding call signs and here is a quote...

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">"Aviator call signs nearly always must come from a member of the aviator's squadron, training class, or other coworker. It is considered bad form to try to give oneself a callsign."</span> Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviator_call_sign)

Is this practiced in the IL2 squad community as well or does everyone just come up with their own call sign?

c) While I'm asking, and to save me some time on searching, when is SOW:BOB due? Or is it one of those "don't ask" questions?

I know I had a few more but I am drawing a blank right now.

Thanks for not rolling your eyes too much and appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

WitNit
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
S!

I have some questions and I know at least one of them will be down right silly. So please bare with me.

a) I am wondering if there is such a thing as flight schools for rookies? I would like to find one that doesn't require joining a squad. I will like to join a squad in the future, but for now I am just interested in getting some training. Training from the ground up is what I am looking for. I have very, very little sim flying experience(about 20 hours with WarBirds a long, long time ago) and no military experience so I even need training on ranks. Silly I know.

b) Call signs-I found something on the net regarding call signs and here is a quote...

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">"Aviator call signs nearly always must come from a member of the aviator's squadron, training class, or other coworker. It is considered bad form to try to give oneself a callsign."</span> Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviator_call_sign)

Is this practiced in the IL2 squad community as well or does everyone just come up with their own call sign?

c) While I'm asking, and to save me some time on searching, when is SOW:BOB due? Or is it one of those "don't ask" questions?

I know I had a few more but I am drawing a blank right now.

Thanks for not rolling your eyes too much and appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

LStarosta
07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
a) Yes, check Bearcat's sig, and google the airwarfare site. They got some neat goodies for you to studify.

b) I didn't give myself my callsign, therefore I am cool and have aviator cred. Everyone else is lame tho.

c) Yes. November 2006. AKA probably not in your hamster's lifetime.

We are all pretty laid back, so chill out and enjoy the game and these forums. To make yourself cool on these forums, you should try something called "fishing" where you post something that is seemingly serious and I daresay controversial, only to bait other peoples' serious responses. Each response is like a fish biting your hook (or, in my case, getting trapped in a net), hence the term "fishing". The mark of a true fisherman is usually not only how many fish he can catch, but how long how long he can keep fishing before the Dept. of Natural Resources (aka moderators) come in to ruin the trip with a thread lock (or if you're really good, a ban). This is actually more exciting than playing the game.

Enjoy.

Monterey13
07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
http://www.joint-ops.com

Free Virtual Combat School.

Great place to start.
S!

Bearcat99
07-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Check out the Nugget's Guide.. and you might want to seriously consider Joint Ops. The links are in my sig.

MEGILE
07-19-2007, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

We are all pretty laid back, so chill out and enjoy the game and these forums. To make yourself cool on these forums, you should try something called "fishing" where you post something that is seemingly serious and I daresay controversial, only to bait other peoples' serious responses. Each response is like a fish biting your hook (or, in my case, getting trapped in a net), hence the term "fishing". The mark of a true fisherman is usually not only how many fish he can catch, but how long how long he can keep fishing before the Dept. of Natural Resources (aka moderators) come in to ruin the trip with a thread lock (or if you're really good, a ban). This is actually more exciting than playing the game.

Enjoy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I am a life long fisher man.
If you find yourself smashing your keyboard with fists, then you probably got fished.

Enjoy.

Zoom2136
07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WitNit:
S!

I know I had a few more but I am drawing a blank right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your new call sign - BLANK - ... next time have all your facts straight before comming in here and asking questions.... Just kidding

Welcoma aboard BLANK... lol

Bearcat99
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I am a life long fisher man.
If you find yourself smashing your keyboard with fists, then you probably got fished.

Dont listen to these guys... they will get you in trouble.

Callsign? You make your own... and thats what we call you.... so give it thought...

carguy_
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Naaaah, we don`t give ourselves callsigns mostly,just a squad index like in clans but we don`t do clans cuz we`re better.

You`re talking to a higher life form of quake players so knowing the following terms is mandatory:

- "Mustang won teh war"
- "50cal are porked"
- Luftwhiners
- "UFO" aka Spitfire IX +25lb
- "global warming is teh sux"

And most of all : TWO WEEKS.

Don`t even dare to call someone n00b if you got less than 3000 posts in here parts.

slo_1_2_3
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Callsign? You make your own... and thats what we call you.... so give it thought... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thats what he will want to be called, I have a name , but I've been called lots of things besides that name

WitNit
07-19-2007, 06:34 PM
a) Yes, check Bearcat's sig, and google the airwarfare site. They got some neat goodies for you to studify.

b) I didn't give myself my callsign, therefore I am cool and have aviator cred. Everyone else is lame tho.

c) Yes. November 2006. AKA probably not in your hamster's lifetime.

Thanks LStarosta for the info. Yes I know about "Fishing". I'm new to this site...not the internet and forums in general. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:

Your new call sign - BLANK - ... next time have all your facts straight before comming in here and asking questions.... Just kidding

Welcoma aboard BLANK... lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crapola...BLANK it is. Oh, if I had all my facts straight then there would be no need for me to ask any questions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the info everyone. I have signed up for Basic Flight School over at Joint-Ops and I am looking forward to it. Sweet.