PDA

View Full Version : New to the genre and buying a x52, what games would you recomend?

Trailer_ParkBoy
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I have always loved WW2 combat flight Sims but I have either not had a good enough computer or not had the money to play one. Well I have saved enough money to buy a x52 (I live in Canada and the vanilla one costs $140 and the pro costs $220, so maybe you guys could recommend a better one?)and I have enough money to buy one flight Sim. I was going to get Storms of war: BOB but I haven't heard any new news on it and fear it has been delayed so are my fears true, it is delayed or what? and if it is delayed and doesn't reach its July 3rd release date what would you guys recommend me get instead?

ps I got a amd +3500, 7600 GT XXX, and a gig of ram so my computer should max out older flight Sims no problem.

Trailer_ParkBoy
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I have always loved WW2 combat flight Sims but I have either not had a good enough computer or not had the money to play one. Well I have saved enough money to buy a x52 (I live in Canada and the vanilla one costs $140 and the pro costs $220, so maybe you guys could recommend a better one?)and I have enough money to buy one flight Sim. I was going to get Storms of war: BOB but I haven't heard any new news on it and fear it has been delayed so are my fears true, it is delayed or what? and if it is delayed and doesn't reach its July 3rd release date what would you guys recommend me get instead?

ps I got a amd +3500, 7600 GT XXX, and a gig of ram so my computer should max out older flight Sims no problem.

BaldieJr
06-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Get 1946 you'll love it. Stick-wise, I can't make a recommendation. Once you learn about TrackIR you'll probably want that. I'm sorry. Now I can't recommend 1946. Get a nice RPG and save yourself a lot of money.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flight sims is expeeeeeensive!

Trailer_ParkBoy
06-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks, looks like I will be getting 1946 and since its real cheap maybe a x52 pro http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but do you have any idea when BoB comes out because I guess it could make its release date in 2 weeks and I don't wanna get 1946 if BoB is coming out so soon.

MrMojok
06-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Don't worry about BoB coming out soon. It won't happen.

tagTaken2
06-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Il-2 1946. There's a staggering amount of choice, and it's surprisingly scalable in terms of PC. I'm playing it on a 5-year old computer with no real issues.

If you want to fight the battle of britain over again, BoB:Wings of Victory is an excellent stopgap, good enough to make me worry about SoW:BoB.

Going back, try MiG Alley (probably the best and ugliest sim I've flown, seriously worth the $5 it will cost you), CFS2 (don't bother with CFS3), or download Il-2 Sturmovik Demo if you've really run out of money.

FlatSpinMan
06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi,
SOW:BOB won't be out til Xmas if then, probably. 1946 would be agood way to get into it and learn/relearn flying skills. Plus 1946 gives you something like 200 planes whereas BOB will have about 10 IIRC so even once BOB comes out a lot of people will keep playing 1946 just for the variety of planes and theatres.

Trailer_ParkBoy
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
sounds good, and thanks for all the help.

Bearcat99
06-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Consider going here (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html) for your stick. 46 is the way to go. It;s your dime... but I wouldnt even bother with some of those other WWII flying games... this is the only WWII sim out there AFAIC.

tagTaken2
06-22-2007, 01:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
It;s your dime... but I wouldnt even bother with some of those other WWII flying games... this is the only WWII sim out there AFAIC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the poster was stuck offline..?

Il-2 is playable offline, and with campaign writers efforts even enjoyable, but I don't think it's such a secret that the AI is rubbish compared to the rowan-engined efforts.