PDA

View Full Version : New maps and ships

Iceweaver
04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm curious to know if the free add-on for PF will include new maps of the Pacific and/or new ships eg Yorktown class of US carriers.

goshikisen
04-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Iceweaver:
I'm curious to know if the free add-on for PF will include new maps of the Pacific and/or new ships eg Yorktown class of US carriers.

There hasn't been any official confirmation of what the add on will contain. I believe there will be at least one new Pacific map. Yorktown, may someday be part of PF, but from what SaQSoN has said it probably won't be in the 4.0 add on. You never know though...

Regards, Goshikisen.

masaker2005
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
A few new ships would be nice.( Yamato, Hood, Bismarck, Yorktown,...) But didn't they say there will be no more ships? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Sturmvogel66
05-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Yep, no new ships in PF.

Brutal67
05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Doh. Why can't we have a japanes cruiser? Seems kinda strange that was left out in the first place. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Talon8452
05-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I know the Arizona was made but still isn't in the game.A real shame since it could be used at Pearl.

jagdmailer
05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Talon8452:
I know the Arizona was made but still isn't in the game.A real shame since it could be used at Pearl.

Ships is one of the major sore spot as far as PF is concerned. Just take a look at battleship alley in the Pearl Harbor scernario - filled with one type of British Battleship !!

I understand that PF is not a naval simulator, but give me a break! This really puts a major damper on the immersion factor as far as I am concerned.

Couple of US battleships, couple of Japanese battleships and couple of IJN cruisers, few more carriers (namely Yorktown class) would really improve things IMHO.

Seems like Luthier is partially getting his act together with the recent announcements (unofficial mind you) ie. Sally, Claude, Nate, J2M Raiden, Ki-100 & flyable Betty etc... should give a boost to the aircraft component of PF. Too bad there are no official announcements about it to let us know what is going on.

Having said that, the complete FB-AEP-PF makes a great Western/Eastern Europe fronts sim. However, PF alone may still be a bit of an ugly duck because of the issues with the integrating the missing American planes, missing Ki-45, overall lack of ships, including many very important ships, and lack of maps IMHO. Campaigns are also fairly lacking....

Jagd

aminx
05-10-2005, 12:42 AM
this sim is nothing more than a half backed potatoe.Believe it or not CFS2 is the only playable Pacific sim left and worse even there is 'nt even a rumour about anyone coming up with something decent and complete in the future
aminx

VVS-Manuc
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by aminx:
this sim is nothing more than a half backed potatoe.Believe it or not CFS2 is the only playable Pacific sim left and worse even there is 'nt even a rumour about anyone coming up with something decent and complete in the future
aminx
I think you are right. PF as a stand alone was to make quick money for UBI mainly on the US-market.

Capt._Tenneal
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by masaker2005:
A few new ships would be nice.( Yamato, Hood, Bismarck, Yorktown,...) But didn't they say there will be no more ships? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Yamato and Yorktown, I would agree. The Hood is more iffy. IIRC, it was the only one of it's class, plus it figured out in a surface action instead of an air attack. For Bismarck, we already have the Tirpitz modelled in the game ( sister ship).

ElAurens
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
IJN Haruna was on the original list as well.

goshikisen
05-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
IJN Haruna was on the original list as well.
Yeah, that's right... would have made a good, overall BB for the Japanese. I seem to recall at least one Japanese Cruiser there as well.

I'd be interested to know what the pre-production list of ships looked like for PF compared to what actually made it into the sim. It seems clear that there was more intended than what actually made it in there.

I wonder how many of us would pay for an addon that would see PF rounded out a bit more. Finished or unfinished... I'd be happy to shell out some more dinaros to get what we have augmented a bit.

Regards, Goshikisen.

Enforcer572005
05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I would surely buy an addon that gave a few more ships (8-12). there should be a BB and a heavy and light cruiser and a destroyer or two for each navy, and and LST maybe.

weve got pearl and midway, but you cant really make a cmpn for those thats even close w/o the yorktown class cv, and the solomons and any cmpn with surface combat needs some cruisers. I am already planning on trying to use the soviet destroyers for british ones (look a little like tribal and Z class) and the tirpitz makes a far better generic BB than KGV class.

the us needs another CA (baltimore) a cl or two (cleveland, boise maybe), and a gearing class dd.

the ijn needs a CA, CL, and BB really bad. you could use the same ship as a british BB also because the older ijn BBs were based on british design, some even built there.

a DE like the butler class would also be useful.as would an LST. at the very least a BB, CA (or cl) and dd for each nation. the british had alot of CL and CA classes.

i would definitely buy a pf addon with ships.I saw PF in EB today for 19.95 US.....and eap for 4.95. I think it may be about time for them to market something new before bob. they could include the stuff that may be too late for the next patch, even some of hte stuff meant for it.
well, ive gone on too long again, but i just loaded PF, and was really freaked out by the lack of ships. Cant get into KGV BBs at pearl.

goshikisen
05-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
I would surely buy an addon that gave a few more ships (8-12). there should be a BB and a heavy and light cruiser and a destroyer or two for each navy, and and LST maybe.

I just loaded PF, and was really freaked out by the lack of ships. Cant get into KGV BBs at pearl.

I'd be happy to open my wallet for some additional PF content as well. I guess the problem is the economic viability of such a product. Hopefully Maddox games can someday release a Pacific Fighters Expansion Pack in much the same way AEP complemented FB. I know that more Japanese content is in the works and is being paid for by Maddox Games so my supposition may not be too far off the mark.

SaQSoN has stated though that ships are far more labour intensive as an AI object than an aircraft is... so the ROI on a ship might not be that great compared to a plane. I wonder if there are any ship models that were started and abandoned that could be somehow rescued. Campaigns like Midway, Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf... it'd be interesting to recreate them. The 2 fleets are too anemic at the moment to convincingly recreate any of these battles.

Regard, Goshikisen.

Fennec_P
05-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't say ships take any longer than AI planes.

But for ships, you can find little reference info, and what you do find is mostly not useful. Like, for a different version of the ship you actually want, or low resolution, or terrible scan, or just not accurate.

For planes, you can always find high-res, accurate, beautiful 3-view drawings and tons and tons of close up photos. For ships, you be lucky if you find a credit card sized top view and some horrible aerial photos.

This is also a big reason for ship choice in PF. For example, it would have been nice to do 1942 Lex instead of pre-war, but there were just no drawings of '42 Lex. The only photos you can find of '42 Lex are of it burning at Coral Sea; not very usefull.

I can't wait for BoB. Brit and German ships are much better referenced online than USA and Japaneses ones. You'd think that USA ships would have tons of drawings and pics online, but it just isn't the case. Stuff is there, but nothing that you could actually base a model on.

But here is one that is nice. If only all drawings were like these:

http://www.usswashington.com/diag.htm

goshikisen
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Fennec_P:
I wouldn't say ships take any longer than AI planes.

But here is one that is nice. If only all drawings were like these:

http://www.usswashington.com/diag.htm

Those look like detailed drawings... pretty large scale as well. I suppose there's nothing better than a definitive set of drawings... I can't imagine how a set of photographs will assist with any of the general building process. Are there any sources for ship plans online? Can you get drawings for Japanese Cruisers or Battleships that are more than something inside a book on their history? I bought a book on Japanese Cruisers and the drawings would certainly be very helpful but it'd be great to buy plans for these ships...

Fennec, you didn't happen to build any of the ship models for PF, did you? I recall us discussing the cruiser Takao in the past as a possible addition. I've got a much better resource on the ship since last we discussed this.

Regards, Goshikisen.

duffys_tavern
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Seems to me there was a picture of a "Liberty" ship in the developement update section a long time ago. I've noticed that the "generic" US CV is the Lex/Sara class. Would have been nice if it was the Essex class (w/o deck numbers), that away it could serve as any of that class, i.e. Yorktown, Franklin, Bunker Hill, etc. I'd pay for an add-on CD, if it had more ships and flyable a/c along with additional PF maps.

Fennec_P
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Fennec, you didn't happen to build any of the ship models for PF, did you?

Some. POW, Ward, Fletcher, Lex. The extra skins (like Dent and Saratoga) by other people.

Are there any sources for ship plans online?

There are some. Mostly pirated from books. But for the most part, low res, incomplete (like, only top view, and not side or front) or not for the ship variant you are looking for. Most of the useful information Luthier got; he bought a lot of books.

Photos are important too, for getting surface details for making the texture. Also, sometimes the shape is not clear from the drawings, and you can cross-reference with a photo.

I wonder what happened to the Liberty Ship and the USA Battleship (it was one of the old ones with the lattice mast). Maybe not done to standards, or modeler had to stop work for some reason.

I recall us discussing the cruiser Takao in the past

No you must be mistaken. I am not working on that. Check private message plz.

Yog_Shoggoth
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Too bad they can't use the SHIII models...

Finkeren
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
For those who asked for info on new maps:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/1091084023

Phas3e
05-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Im glad I know nothing about ships,
I can go without specific ships and the game dosent lose any appeal to me.
But I do see where people are coming from,
I hate bf42s planeset because of all the obvious faults with the games models and their placment in certain maps