PDA

View Full Version : Wind???

Yeats54
02-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I purchased PF last week and have it installed and running smoothly. It's a very nice looking game with terrific graphics for the the a/c.

I'm a little befuddled though, in that I can't detect any settings for wind effects. Does PF default to "no wind?" Is there some file through which I have to enable the atmospherics?

TIA

Yeats54

Zeus-cat
02-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Wind is not really modelled in the game. If you set the weather to thunderstorms in the Full Mision Builder for a mission, you will get wind, but you can't control the speed or direction.

Yeats54
02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Wind is not really modelled in the game. If you set the weather to thunderstorms in the Full Mision Builder for a mission, you will get wind, but you can't control the speed or direction.
Well, that comes as something of a disappointment. As a real-life practioner of the "aviate-navigate-communicate" school of flying, I have to say that you can't much "simulate" flight in the absence of wind effects. That may qualify as an understatement, by the way.

I had avoided the IL2FB family of "sims" because of the series' reputation for having questionable flight and weapon models for Soviet aircraft, but had no idea about this wind business.

Please don't take this as a rant. PF wasn't expensive, so it's not like I'll have to postpone the annual on the Maule because of the purchase. ;-)

Thanks for the info,

Yeats54

Zeus-cat
02-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Keep in mind that this is a combat flight sim, not a flight sim. The main point of "flying" is to engage in combat. The lack of wind is a minor annoyance to the vast majority of us.

VW-IceFire
02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Yeats54:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wind is not really modelled in the game. If you set the weather to thunderstorms in the Full Mision Builder for a mission, you will get wind, but you can't control the speed or direction.
Well, that comes as something of a disappointment. As a real-life practioner of the "aviate-navigate-communicate" school of flying, I have to say that you can't much "simulate" flight in the absence of wind effects. That may qualify as an understatement, by the way.

I had avoided the IL2FB family of "sims" because of the series' reputation for having questionable flight and weapon models for Soviet aircraft, but had no idea about this wind business.

Please don't take this as a rant. PF wasn't expensive, so it's not like I'll have to postpone the annual on the Maule because of the purchase. ;-)

Thanks for the info,

Yeats54 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its a shame that you avoided this series for so long. The questionable Soviet aircraft modeling is mostly in the minds of a few disgruntled fans. Not to say there aren't problems with specific aircraft but when you've been playing this game as long as I have you see that problems are pretty universal regardless of side.

Wind is definately not sophisticated in this game. There are some pretty heafty wind effects during some of the weather conditions. "Blind" and "Rain" are about the same for wind. Usually a nasty crosswind on the airfield makes takeoff bumpy and sometimes difficult. "Thunderstorm" takes it to another level.

The next generation game is supposed to be highly adaptable for weather as apparently Oleg wants to sell some private interest things like glider simulations and you can't do that without good thermals and wind modeling.

So its something for the future...I think its safe to say that if Oleg does go ahead and model it in any serious way it will be very seriously done. But when things are not the priority they tend to be very average...the current games wind modeling and sound effects are examples of "low priority" things that sort of fell by the wayside.

But it looks and flies great in my opinion so thats ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

x6BL_Brando
02-04-2006, 02:39 PM
It's pretty clearly about processing power. This sim like most others is very demanding, and there has to be a fair spread between people with high-end computers and those poor bastards who are running a Compak Pissario. Some things had to be left out, and exactly modelled weather had to be one of them. As it is we got turbulence below 500m with Poor setting, and progressively more shaky stuff as the conditions grow worse.

Not highly realistic - but it is as stated above, a combat flight sim and focuses on other stuff. Reduced collision envelopes, a good net-code, an absence of user-hacked aircraft are the sort of things that put FB way ahead of the opposition.

The first time you do a strafing run on a convoy and see all the soldiers jump out of the threatened vehicles and run off you know you're into something special.
The first time I saw a screenshot of CFS3, with the 109s and the under-wing bomb rails(!) I knew we were in for for a very expensive coaster, however well modelled the weather might be.

B

Tully__
02-05-2006, 08:35 AM
While wind effect exist as part of the heavy "weather" modelling, they only apply as crosswind effects during takeoff/landing. From a navigation point of view the most disappointing thing about this game is that wind effects can be ignored in navigation regardless of "weather" conditions.
On the other hand there's some pretty groovy turbulence in heavy weather missions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Art-J
02-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey, what about exhaust smoke going left or right from the plane on some online maps, huh? No "heavy" weather over there, but obviously "something" is changing smoke direction! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Is it a slight "online-wind" modelled or just a fancy visual effect?

major_setback
02-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Ground effect is simulated from the later patches and on (from 4.01 I think). Torque is simulated too. Spins/stalls are more realistic than in other sims, and are recoverable....swings and roundabouts really compared to other sims (ex. FS 2004.). I fly a lot of games/sims and rate FB/PF as one of the best, without any doubt. Try flying the hurricane at low speed and get a feel of the weight of that aircraft, and how FB simulates low speed handling.