PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering outloud

knightflyte
06-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I got the patch yesterday, and really do like it. I'm having a problem getting used to it tho.

I understand the concept of torque, but I always thought I'd feel the torque from an engine. In the game the plane rotates on it's longitudinal axis as it should when applying throttle. But, if I didnt know WHY the plane was rotating I'd be pretty confused as to what's going on as I have no feedback from the stick.

Normally in a stall I can feel the stick (Saitek Cyborg EVO Force) fight me until there is no airpressure under the wing then it will go limp then buffet as the plane comes back to flight attitude. So because I can feel these things I know what's happening and correct the situation.

With the torque modeled now I can't feel it, and I feel somewhat disoriented. Yeah, I can fly the plane, and I really do like the patch.

I feel like I'm balancing a stack of plates on a marble that is sitting on my finger tip. Is it the marble causing the imbalance?... Is it the wieght of the plates?...... or is it the nerves in my finger? It doesn't matter because I have feedback on my fingertip, and can correct efficiently. (Supposing I really could do it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif )

Is it wind resistance?.....is it torque?.... is it my abilities of a pilot? I can't tell because I have little tangable feedback. I know when I accelerate my car I feel the torque from the engine.... but I think I feel that because I'm on the ground and the resistance from gravity gives me the feedback. In the air (if my car could fly) would I have the same feeling?

SO...........I'm asking whether I am expecting something I shouldn't because you really can't feel the effect of torque while in the air (I don't know I'm no pilot.... but I play one on my computer)

OR.... can you actually feel torque while in the air and counteract it, and it's my stick that isn't performing as expected? Those without FF sticks... how do you get your flying 'clues'?

OR.... is this something that can't be quite modeled yet for technological reasons?

I just want to know if I should think differently regarding visual and audio clues concerning torque, stall, and all other tangable effects we get in the game?

NOW....... with that said I really do like the patch. When I did feel comfortable last night flying I did notice AND ENJOY how the FM make flying feel more fluid. It's hard to describe and I've read some trying to describe it but can't.

Thanks guys
regards,
Robert

knightflyte
06-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I got the patch yesterday, and really do like it. I'm having a problem getting used to it tho.

I understand the concept of torque, but I always thought I'd feel the torque from an engine. In the game the plane rotates on it's longitudinal axis as it should when applying throttle. But, if I didnt know WHY the plane was rotating I'd be pretty confused as to what's going on as I have no feedback from the stick.

Normally in a stall I can feel the stick (Saitek Cyborg EVO Force) fight me until there is no airpressure under the wing then it will go limp then buffet as the plane comes back to flight attitude. So because I can feel these things I know what's happening and correct the situation.

With the torque modeled now I can't feel it, and I feel somewhat disoriented. Yeah, I can fly the plane, and I really do like the patch.

I feel like I'm balancing a stack of plates on a marble that is sitting on my finger tip. Is it the marble causing the imbalance?... Is it the wieght of the plates?...... or is it the nerves in my finger? It doesn't matter because I have feedback on my fingertip, and can correct efficiently. (Supposing I really could do it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif )

Is it wind resistance?.....is it torque?.... is it my abilities of a pilot? I can't tell because I have little tangable feedback. I know when I accelerate my car I feel the torque from the engine.... but I think I feel that because I'm on the ground and the resistance from gravity gives me the feedback. In the air (if my car could fly) would I have the same feeling?

SO...........I'm asking whether I am expecting something I shouldn't because you really can't feel the effect of torque while in the air (I don't know I'm no pilot.... but I play one on my computer)

OR.... can you actually feel torque while in the air and counteract it, and it's my stick that isn't performing as expected? Those without FF sticks... how do you get your flying 'clues'?

OR.... is this something that can't be quite modeled yet for technological reasons?

I just want to know if I should think differently regarding visual and audio clues concerning torque, stall, and all other tangable effects we get in the game?

NOW....... with that said I really do like the patch. When I did feel comfortable last night flying I did notice AND ENJOY how the FM make flying feel more fluid. It's hard to describe and I've read some trying to describe it but can't.

Thanks guys
regards,
Robert