PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed "Complete Edition"... REALLY UBI?

TreFacTor
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Not only were 2 chapters cut out of the game, and a new multi player AC2 lurking around the corner, but now Ubi puts out AC2 "Complete Edition" with the 2 missing chapters, and Tombs although with AC2 mutli player soon upon us it begs to question WHY? GREED maybe? Trying to catch the ill informed or ignorant off guard? Bad form Ubi!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05...ted-at-uk-retailers/ (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/19/assassins-creed-2-complete-edition-spotted-at-uk-retailers/)

When Assassin's Creed 2 publisher Ubisoft released the game's two missing chapters as DLC, some of our commenters claimed that they were going to wait for a "Game of the Year" edition to be created at some point in the future. Well, we hope that you futureseers live in the UK, as a listing for "Assassin's Creed 2: Complete Edition" has popped up on two UK retailers sites, brandishing new box art and packing every piece of content available for the game into the box.

CVG spotted it first at Play.com, though the new edition is also found on ShopTo.net, as well as on Amazon's UK site. For £27.99 ($41.35), buyers pick up the entirety of AC2, the Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities DLC packs, and "three Templar secret locations (Palazzo Medici, Santa Maria del Frari, and Arsenal Shipyard)" previously available only in a limited edition release. It doesn't appear that the re-release will be arriving in other parts of the world just yet, but we've reached out to Ubi all the same for clarification. And if the retailer listings are correct, we'll see the AC2 "Complete Edition" land on retailer shelves on June 4.

EmperorxZurg
05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
you know multiplayer isn't going to be on AC2 right? It's on Brotherhood, a brand new stand alone game...

TreFacTor
05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
you know multiplayer isn't going to be on AC2 right? It's on Brotherhood, a brand new stand alone game... You mean it won't have AC2 story with a multi player tacked on... I'll believe that when I see it. Even still why shouldn't it include the story as well as the mp? Even still still, why not put it all in one package? Whatever the case, still sounds like greed to me.

EmperorxZurg
05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
well they sort of already released most of the story, and ya it actually is different. We're playing as Templars mostly and it includes both story and mp in the standard. It's all in the same package. All this article says is that Ubi is releasing a redo package of AC2, its what every company does for a successful game in case there are late comers that want everything.

Vey03
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not a late comer. I want everything. Why should i have to buy this special edition to have everything when i've already spent the money on the game!?
Also, game companies need to realise there are more countries in the world other than USA and UK!

EmperorxZurg
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
then you can but the odd things out off the web. There are tons of people selling the individual things for actually less than retail. Do you expect Ubi to sell everything individually? They already have for most of the stuff in that package

BK-110
05-20-2010, 12:55 AM
You're very misinformed, OP. Brotherhood will have both single- and multiplayer. The campaign will be a continuation of Ezio's story, in other words, it will take place after Assassin's Creed II.

jmk1999
05-20-2010, 01:32 AM
pretty lame... i hate it when developers do this. it's like i could have waited and gotten a better deal. they did this with LBP too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

TheLeoCrow
05-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Well, this sounds like a cheap version of the black edition. I got the black edition when it first came out, but i'm in no way offended by it because it's been months since that, it doesn't diminish the value of what i got when i got it.
AC:B will be a continuation of Ezio's story but not quite a sequel since Desmont's story wont be featured in it. It will be a complete game in itself, with different settings, story and new characters. And it will also feature multiplayer. SO what?
Why create problems and complaints where they don't belong? There are so many other problems in the games that deserve complaining about

El_Sjietah
05-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by dom1999:
pretty lame... i hate it when developers do this. it's like i could have waited and gotten a better deal. they did this with LBP too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Every product loses value as time goes by. It's how capitalism works. "I hate it when car salesmen drop prices on older models. It's like I could have waited and gotten a better deal on my 5 year old car."

TreFacTor
05-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by BK-110:
You're very misinformed, OP. Brotherhood will have both single- and multiplayer. The campaign will be a continuation of Ezio's story, in other words, it will take place after Assassin's Creed II. Sooo, people that buy the multiplayer edition will have to buy the original or AC2 complete in order to get the ENTIRE story... me thinks not, doesn't even sound probable.

El_Sjietah
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by TreFacTor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
You're very misinformed, OP. Brotherhood will have both single- and multiplayer. The campaign will be a continuation of Ezio's story, in other words, it will take place after Assassin's Creed II. Sooo, people that buy the multiplayer edition will have to buy the original or AC2 complete in order to get the ENTIRE story... me thinks not, doesn't even sound probable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AC:B is a stand alone game that takes place right after AC2 and will therefor have a lot of tie in with it. That doesn't mean you need to have played AC2 to be able to play ACB though. AC2 is a continuation of AC1's story, but you're not forced to buy that either to enjoy AC2, same goes for almost every sequel. What's so hard to get about that?

BK-110
05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
You're very misinformed, OP. Brotherhood will have both single- and multiplayer. The campaign will be a continuation of Ezio's story, in other words, it will take place after Assassin's Creed II. Sooo, people that buy the multiplayer edition will have to buy the original or AC2 complete in order to get the ENTIRE story... me thinks not, doesn't even sound probable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds about as probable as Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, which is a direct continuation of Altaļr's story. You aren't required to buy the game before it. If you want to know the story, you can always look at the Assassin's Creed Wikia page.

Besides, generally sequels work this way. It's mostly a continuation of a story. This is no different from so many other series.

And what are you talking about? "Multiplayer Edition"? It's a standalone game!

EmperorxZurg
05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
and still, what is this about greed? It's called capitalism, every company does this. But back on to the game. Multiplayer and Singleplayer are on the same dang disc! Like Modern Warfare 2! And like the above posters said, you don't have to buy one of the other games for this. It's its own $60 stand alone game that's story starts where AC2 just left off. That's it

samson7point1
05-20-2010, 11:11 AM
At least UBI is admitting that they intentionally released an incomplete game. Not that the fact their "DLC" content was carved directly out of the middle of a rather clear line progression in the story didn't make it obvious as well. Honestly, that is the last time UBI gets my money for a launch title. If they ever pull this crap again I will never buy another UBI title new either.

caswallawn_2k7
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
to be honest people are getting to worked up over this, 90% of games that have DLC will release a version of the game that has all the DLC in at a later date. it's so the people who come in late don't buy the game then find there is a boat load of DLC they can buy, meaning if they want it all they need to shell out another large lump on top of the game purchase.

for example look at burnout paradise, all their DLC was made after the game released, but they still eventually released a version of the game with nearly all of it built in. everything loses value over time, so to get people to buy older games they often throw in the DLC's as it does attract a fair size group of people, it's no different to them trying to sell a older car by throwing in a couple of extra services/features.

KZarr
05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Agree with cas on this one. Look how many publishers re-release their games as a GOTY edition and them make you pay more for it when its exactly the same. Nothing new.

LCGuardian
05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I can really fault this. Most people who are fans initially get the game and buy the DLC (or in the past bought expansion packs). There shouldn't really be any issue if you've bought the original AC2 and then bought the DLC afterwards.

And GOTY editions, or complete editions, or whatever you want to call them, are good for people coming to a franchise later and wanting to pick up the game in its full form. I did that with Morrowind, for example - far easier to buy one combined package than try to hunt down expansion packs or games that are long released. No one is compelled to buy a GOTY edition.

bokeef04
05-20-2010, 10:50 PM

there is no "Multiplayer edition" AC:B is a completely seperate game, just like Bloodlines, it just features multiplayer as well as around a 20hr single player campaign, buying AC2 will allow you to understand the story better, but so will having bought AC1, discovery, bloodlines and chronicles

jonny5isalive15
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
i'm getting this edition. and in my eyes it's good there bringing this out. i don't currently have xbox live so i could not get the dlcs when i got the original edition. so when i found out about this version i sold my original version just to get this one

lilbacchant
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
You don't need Xbox Live to purchase DLC. I've never paid MS a dime since buying the console and I can purchase dlc w/out a hitch -- just need an internet connection for the xbox. Oh, and you'll have to create an account to purchase the dlc, but you ONLY have to pay for the dlc.

BTW, you can also download patches/updates for games too w/out being a paid subscriber.

montagemik
06-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I have no problem at all with companies releasing complete,special,ultimate or black editions of their games with added extras & encourage it & buy most additional DLC content too.
Though in fairness
I do find it unfair (to be polite) to release a game with missing chapters - not stated in stores or the box & then charge for this missing content as DLC ,The 2 missing levels should have beenfree[/B.
By all means charge for [B]extras & bonuscontent like templar locations for people who want to add it but not chapters that should obviously be in the standard storyline. for extras i don't mind paying but Not for missing game parts ? Not anymore.
That's where the greed seems to be , it comes across as release it too early, unfinished & in stages, fix any issues & then sell the finished working product.
I've always loved Ubisoft games ,but the way AC2 & Content has been done seems more like Microsoft than Ubisoft.
But i'll buy Brotherhood anyway obviously, though not at launch. (i'll see what's missing first)

caswallawn_2k7
06-05-2010, 08:09 AM
but not chapters that should obviously be in the standard storyline.
you didn't need them for the story line to be complete, the story worked without them. the fact is these capters are just parts off the game that would of never been released if it wasn't for DLC, loads of games have chinks left out there were originally intended to be in, people just don't realise this as up until recently with no DLC these parts of the game were just lost forever.

in the past if something wouldn't be finished for the launch they would find a way to remove it, that fact is the few extras the PC version of AC1 got were probably originally going to be in the console version, but due to time constraints got dropped, but due to the delay on the PC version it allowed them to finish them off for it.

if you ever get chance to see a early Alpha or Beta version of a game you will see how much stuff is actually cut out of games either due to development times or it not working the way they intended, this is also often seen on early screen shots and videos of games.

montagemik
06-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Not fussed with PC issues , I'm on PS3

If Ubisoft want to release games with missing content then fine go ahead , But remove it Completely please or State it's missing on the box.
Don't leave levels in games we can't access cause they aren't there yet.

If the game sequences were in order then fine but it clearly showed unaccessable memories.
If it said on the box - levels available at a later date ,Thats fine too.
But we got none of this ,Only when i got to the sequence did i learn it's not playable & then told on helpline oh that's how it is.
Fair enough , But then you charge me for something that was missing , It wasn't a 'never gonna be released you'll never know about it' item.
It was a 'we've made this but we haven't given it to you yet So we'll release the game early & charge you extra for your missing game content we didn't mention when you bought it' item.
DLC in AC2 case was an excuse to rush release early & finish fix later, as such should've been FREE or stated on AC2 Box levels were missing/locked.
That sucks chunks, if my game shows 10 levels when i load it up i expect to play 10 levels, not 8 & then sorry we'll finish it later & sell it to you separately.
It's just the wrong way to do it, They haven't done the gamers any favours to give us something extra, It benefits them by releasing unfinished goods & charging extra if we'd like what we thought we paid for in the first place.
You could say we're like Beta testers who pay £50 for the privilege.
As others said i'll hold off buying UBI stuff on launch from now on & see how many installments the games come in first. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

(like buying a TV & having to pay extra to have Audio added a month later -
you'd expect to have it already if it displayed sound options in its menu , Wouldn't you ?)