PDA

View Full Version : Voice communications during the game

bigdu12000
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi, I want to play the game with people who want to use voice during game play. Before we hook up to the game we hook up to yahoo messenger voice and start a conference. Then we get in the game and we can talk to eachother and coordinate our game play. If you are interested email me at bigdu1@adelphia.net and we can arrange a game. Thanks Paul

Kuna15
09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
A lot of people here are using TeamSpeak, Ventrillo or TeamSound.
You can try them out in fact there is specified port (for red and blue side) on many servers where people can join in.

Bearcat99
09-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Hit the Essentials link in my sig.............

Don_ULFonso
09-17-2005, 10:41 AM
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone actually use the in-game voice-comms? (And could someone please be so kind to tell me how exactly this works? Couldn't find much in the manual, but maybe I'm just blind.)

ashley2005
09-17-2005, 10:50 AM
when i start the game with voice comms my microphone goes quite so i have to turn it up is wierd ??

Bearcat99
09-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Don_ULFonso:
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone actually use the in-game voice-comms? (And could someone please be so kind to tell me how exactly this works? Couldn't find much in the manual, but maybe I'm just blind.)
That is not such a stupid question at all... no no one really uses it because it takes too much of a frame hit.. or so the saying goes... I never tried it myself what with TS and vent around... but the nice thing about the ingame voice comms is... when you record a track it records the voice too..so if you wanted to make a movie say..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif toss in your music and wallah!! It is not that bad.. to tell the truth I havent really tried it with a bunch of folks.. now you have me curious.. I think I will.

Don_ULFonso
09-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, I've just installed PF and haven't flown it yet, so I can't comment on this frame-rate thingie, but I've got a further question on the in-game voice-comms:

whether you use it or not, if someone else uses it... will you hear it? I mean, do you have to enable a setting in order to receive messages, or not?

BTW... "Bearcat"? Haven't I seen you on FW lately? Just curious...

Tully__
09-17-2005, 01:41 PM
The in game voice comms do work but:

- on some systems they cause a big drop in frame rate
- the instructions are very unclear, leading to few people knowing how to use them
- you can only use them while a mission is actually running, they don't work while you're waiting in the lobby
- the setup is critical and can be tricky, as it requires you to check ping and manually enter a "latency offset" each time you join a server if you're to achieve consistent results.

All things considered, it's much easier to use Teamspeak or Ventrilo, particularly if you're in a squad that has their own comms server or regularly fly a DF server that provides comms.

Don_ULFonso
09-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, as a new IL-2 (soon-to-be) user (still setting up my gear) the manual didn't help me much, that's true.

Where can I find more detailed info on the in-game voice-comms?

bigdu12000
09-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi don,
I just use yahoo messenger to do it in the game. Works great and its free and easy to use.

email me if you want to try it with pacific fighters bigdu1@adelphia.net

bigdu12000
09-17-2005, 04:44 PM
I use yahoo messenger to play during the game its free and easy to use. We just set up before loging into pacific fighters and then play the game. much more fun than trying to type messages. If you want to play the game and try it just email me here bigdu1@adelphia.net and we will give it a spin. Goto yahoo and download yahoo messenger for free and then we can start. thanks for responding. Paul

bigdu12000
09-17-2005, 04:50 PM
You may have seen me while you were shooting my *** down. I really know how to fly but dog fighting is an art and I am not an artist ( yet ) so look out.

bigdu12000
09-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't get drops in fram rates while using Yahoo messenger.

Bearcat99
09-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Niether do we with Teamspeak.

Don_ULFonso
09-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, I know TS from flying WB (we sorted out RS due to its sound quality), and I've got ventrilo installed, too.

I didn't know that Y! had VoIP, but I'll check whic version I've got installed (I usually use Trillian instead of starting a bunch of messengers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) and upgrade if it's an old 'un.

I definitively will holler for help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif once I'll be ready to go online (gotta set up my gear first, of course)! Like I said, I've just installed PF but haven't flown it yet. (BTW, did I mention that I'm a perfect bait http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ? As long as there's someone to clear my 6 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , that is.)

weeber24
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ashley2005:
when i start the game with voice comms my microphone goes quite so i have to turn it up is wierd ??

Ashley,

I had this problem too. Then I discovered that IL-2 has it's own mic volume control. You have to go to Options, then Sound and increase the mic volume in there. You see, everytime you start the game, IL-2 will change the mic volume to the level in the Options menu, if you increase it in there it will work OK the next time you start the game.