PDA

View Full Version : Half a**ed Hotas

Sillius_Sodus
06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Face it, I'm cheap, I love the idea of a hotas setup with pedals but I hate the cost, besides, I don't have room for pedals under my desk. Sooooo, instead of buying pedals, I bought an extra joystick (Saitek Avi8tor), and use it's x-axis for rudder and those weird front mounted throttles for well...throttes (the primary control stick is a Saitek EVO). Just to clutter things up even more I also have a Belkin Nostromo n52 Speedpad that I use to map certain keys. The second joystick thing worked well back in the days of Aces of the Pacific so I thought I would give it a whirl with IL2.

Anyway, to make a long story boring, I'm still getting used to the setup but I have noticed a big improvement in one area. Since I disabled the twist rudder function on my primary control stick, my flying and shooting have become much more accurate. With the twist rudder enabled, it's very easy to inadvertantly induce yaw when moving the stick around or pressing the buttons on the top of the stick. For airplanes with rudder trim, if I trim it out at the beginning of the mission at say, 80% power, I don't have to use much rudder at all for the rest of the flight. I also find that if I do have to use some rudder, the stick is much more precise than the twist function.

I would have preferred using another EVO for rudder and throttle control because it has more buttons on the top, but I could not find one at my usual stores. The Avi8tor is one weird stick but I'll see how it goes.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Sillius_Sodus
06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Ok,after five days with my Rube Goldberg setup, here's what I've found:

By using the left hand stick's Y axis for rudder control, the hat for elevator and rudder trim and the trigger to center my view, I can maneuver much better than before. I've mapped the other buttons for other stuff that's not really worth mentioning. Not that this thread is particularly worthy of mention http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, control response and precision are much better now, as I said before, it's very hard not to induce some yaw with a twist rudder when you move the stick around. The nose stays where I point it now. I've noticed the biggest improvement when strafing, I used to be all over the place before but now it's much steadier.

You may be asking yourself: "What's the point?" of this thread. Well, in a perfect world I'd have a skookum stick, throttle, pedals, TrackIR 4, 60" LCD, etc, etc. If you play a lot of flight sims, you probably have some spare joysticks lying around or you may be looking for an alternative to full nut hotas and pedals. Using two sticks isn't perfect, but I think it's a heck of a lot better than a twistie.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus