PDA

View Full Version : Blohm & Voss BV141 - Why was it assymetrical?



neural_dream
08-07-2005, 07:23 AM
I 've read a few times about the assymetrical BV141 but never read why it was assymetrical. Is there some specific gain by such a weird design? I bet it wasn't just to confuse allied fighter pilots.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Blohm_und_Voss_Bv141_rear.jpg

except one thing that i've read, that it had the starboard tail-plane virtually removed to improve the rear-gunner's field of view http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

WarWolfe_1
08-07-2005, 07:26 AM
the beleif was that vison was better. It was a battlefeild recon plane.

Low_Flyer_MkII
08-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by WarWolfe_1:
the beleif was that vison was better. It was a battlefeild recon plane.

Correct. Maximum possible visibility for a single-engined aircraft. Although never used operationally, according to Jane's Fighting Aircraft Of World War II.

nakamura_kenji
08-07-2005, 07:46 AM
unless want look left o_o funny look plane

Retrofish
08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Very interesting aircraft.

I would rather have this and the FW-189 flyable than som of the latewar/whatif stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
08-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Finally!

Proof that the Luftwaffe protoyped the Millenium Falcon

Heliopause
08-08-2005, 03:08 AM
The plane took use of propellar-torgue to keep this a-symm. plane straight in the air....

Fehler
08-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
I 've read a few times about the assymetrical BV141 but never read why it was assymetrical.

Simple answer:

Schnapps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vuco1
08-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Well it is good thing it never got operational. It would have been a weary easy plane to bring down, just one tail-wing, whit it gone, no chance of getting home.
Plus the gunner world have had a great coverage of targets right of him (in consideration that the whole fuselage is blocking it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

Just my 2 (euro) cents...

Cajun76
08-08-2005, 03:31 AM
B und V had a lot of of odd designs. One of the weirder ones was the BV P.111 seaplane. I would think that the elevator being so far outboard would cause roll input as well as pitch when used.

http://www.luft46.com/bv/bv.html

Ankanor
08-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Vuco1:
Well it is good thing it never got operational. It would have been a weary easy plane to bring down, just one tail-wing, whit it gone, no chance of getting home.
Plus the gunner world have had a great coverage of targets right of him (in consideration that the whole fuselage is blocking it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

Just my 2 (euro) cents...

Do not think Il-2, think real life http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

besides, this plane was supposed to operate in Defiant covered areas, be sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Also, there is information that BV141 was going to fly in pairs, one aircraft with the engine on the left side and one aircraft with the engine on the right side