PDA

View Full Version : OT: Motherboard(s) that have PCI-E restrictions

3.JG51_Molders
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Well since I still have my BFG 7800GS I am looking for a good motherbaord to match the new Conroe CPU's that are out. Well, one a Canadian website I found this one, ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA. It comes with everything I could want + a very attractive price tag. HOWEVER, one thing pops up that I can't seem to find an answer to so I hope you tech geeks can help me out. The ASrock website provides a short list of PCI-E cards tested on the slot and says "PCI-E Support list". Now I can't imagine that they would program a number of restricted cards since alot of them aren't major brands I am familiar with so I am guessing it is cards that actually fit the motherboard nicely ? Thanks for any insights.

Here is the link to the motherboard page on the ASrock site, you can see the PCI-E Gfx support list button in the middle of the page. ASrock 775 VISTA (http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm)

3.JG51_Molders
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Well since I still have my BFG 7800GS I am looking for a good motherbaord to match the new Conroe CPU's that are out. Well, one a Canadian website I found this one, ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA. It comes with everything I could want + a very attractive price tag. HOWEVER, one thing pops up that I can't seem to find an answer to so I hope you tech geeks can help me out. The ASrock website provides a short list of PCI-E cards tested on the slot and says "PCI-E Support list". Now I can't imagine that they would program a number of restricted cards since alot of them aren't major brands I am familiar with so I am guessing it is cards that actually fit the motherboard nicely ? Thanks for any insights.

Here is the link to the motherboard page on the ASrock site, you can see the PCI-E Gfx support list button in the middle of the page. ASrock 775 VISTA (http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm)

Baldricks_Mate
07-30-2006, 03:47 AM
I have put together 3 computers for other people based on various Asrock M/B's because the price was right for them. None was a speed(y) success but they were using them for university student stuff; glorified word processors, email and a bit of web research, so game type performance didn't matter. All were in small cases with small LCD's, built for about a third of the price of a notebook.

I thought the Asrock's seemed hamstrung by their chipsets and all-in-one design formats mostly. At close to maximum performance I measured appreciable increases in temperatures, as compared to other machines in my house.

But I'm an amateur, others may have more informed opinions.

TheRealPotoroo
08-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Better late than never.

Asrock was a subsidiary of Asus, spun off to sell into the more bargain end of the market. The differences vary, from the overall QA, through to the parts chosen in some areas, etc. They are a discount brand, although some of their current boards are not bad.

The list of supported PCIe graphics cards is basically just a list of cards they've tested and says next to nothing about which cards will actually work. I recognise nearly all the brand names, they're well-known graphics card manufacturers. Be aware though, that the VT PT880 Ultra chipset only offers PCIe x4, so although the PCIe slot is physically PCIe x16 any x16 graphics card will only have 25% of the bandwidth. That's not necessarily the disaster you may think, as no PCIe x16 card comes anywhere near using the potential x16 bandwidth (no AGP 8X card does either and that's roughly equivalent to PCIe x8), but it is noteworthy.

Buy Asrock if you're on a tight budget. If you're an enthusiast or just want higher quality overall you buy ASUS.