PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed III Settings Speculation

LemonySniffit
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
My computer crashed and I had to rewrite this whole post, aargh.

I'm quite aware that Assassins Creed II was not even released a month ago but I nonetheless felt the urge to post this topic.

What I want to write/discuss about is Assassins Creed III. I've heard some chit-chat here and there from gamers and Ubisoft alike about the time and setting of Assassins Creed III. I've heard about: "a female Assassin in WWII", "Feudal Japan", "the American Revolution", "Dutch Golden Age" and a game in present day settings (2012). It has already been confirmed that we will be playing as Desmond a bit and we'll be doing a lot more in the future, creating the question will we go back to the past? Answer: Probably, history is so long, Ubisoft could do anything with the Animus, besides the Animus creates the Assassin. Now, to discuss the possible settings:

World War II: World War II is a great setting for any game since there’s so much going on in the world at this time. Unfortunately, there are a lot of WWII games out already, including two stealth-WWII games; Saboteur and Velvet Assassin. I'm sure Ubisoft Montreal could easily make Assassins Creed III a lot better than those two games, but I’m just saying.. the game would not be original (its either Saboteur or Indiana Jones).."

Feudal Japan: Feudal Japan would be an awesome setting since the environment would be awesome, there could be Samurai as guards, ninjas, and of course a lot of Lords to assassinate. The fact that Yonaguni was one of the things written down by Subject 16 at the end of the first game makes it a possible setting. The hard question is: what the hell would Desmond’s ancestor be doing in Feudal Japan?

The American Revolution: A while back I posted a topic with the username Omega7009 about a possible setting for Assassins Creed III. There were a lot of responses Americans about the American Revolution and that the founding fathers could be Assassins and ****.
Personally, this would make a **** for game in my opinion. The American Revolution would make a horrible, dull, dull, dull setting, but whatever floats your boat right? Anyways some people said that this game could be about the ancestor of Desmond that immigrated from Europe to the New World (explaining how Desmond ended up somewhere in America). But I don’t recall anything being mentioned about Desmond being in America in either of the two games, o well…

The Dutch Golden Age: Now here you got yourself a setting, a good one too. Since the Netherlands pretty much dominated Europe and the seas in the 17nth Century (defeated Spain in a revolutionary war, conquered England, destroyed the Portuguese Empire and suppressed Absolutist France) this could make a great setting since there would be power-hungry Templar’s, beautiful cities and of course Assassins. But a downside of this setting is that nobody really gives a **** about the Netherlands apparently, everytime me or another Dutchie mentions the Dutch Golden Age as a potential setting for Assassins Creed III we get completely ignored. This may be because people always overlook the 17nth Century. Besides this setting would be hard since what would Desmonds ancestors be doing in the Netherlands and cities like Amsterdam, Delft, Leiden, Rotterdam and many others look a lot like Venice.

Industrial Revolution???: One awesome setting in my opinion would be the Industrial Revolution in 19nth Century England. The atmosphere would be perfect for an Assassins game, the dark clothes, gray skies, nice but creepy architecture. There was a breakthrough in technology and enlightenment, hint. Some down sides would be that there were no mayor Assassinations as far as I know, but you had Jack the Ripper though. And yes there would be guns but wouldn’t actually be a problem compared to WWII lol.

Now I’ve heard complaints about the WWII setting such as:
“I don’t want to play as a girl!”
“World War II is overused!”
“There are fully automatic machine guns!”
“Saboteur and Velvet Assassins are coming out!”
My personal opinion to this is that all of these things don’t matter as long as Ubisoft Montreal delivers a great game and keeps the plot original, not doing some Raiders of the Lost Ark thing, I hope. But Saboteur does look a like Assassins Creed freakishly, a cross between the first Godfather Game and Assassins Creed to be precise.

The point of this topic is just to express my opinion to show you guys/girls and Ubisoft some ideas of mine and please comment and debate on any points and please post your own ideas for the settings. No Subject 16 speculation bull**** please.

caswallawn_2k7
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
the whole point of the game is to visit unique and interesting times, WW2 would seriously kill off a lot of the user base, it's too close to the modern day meaning it would become a shooter and all the architecture would more or less be now making it a uninteresting setting.

were so far the two games have show areas and times with unique architecture and pretty much unused times, so they give people more interesting as they are looking at a time they have never really seen.

Rodriquezz
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
They need to use an unused and interesting setting, WW / Nazis has such a long beard and will indeed drive away a huge amount of the fanbase.

I associate AC with the words mystical, beautiful, interesting and not with the word mainstreamcrap

EzioAssassin51
12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
(I have no idea what the last 3 times were so i won't comment on them! I like what you said about them though!)

I personally think that WW2 would be bad and good!

The bad (and i know you said you didn't want to hear this) the machine guns etc! I would like to play as a female because a way of assassinating guards could be do do some courtesan thing and then kill them! One thing i would absolutely love about ww2 AC3 is you could do an attempted assassination on Hitler! That is the only assassination i could think of that would be great in the game!
I also agree how WW2 is overused and too modern!

I personally think AC3 will be set in multiple times as different assassins and more in modern time as Desmond (We can tell we'll play as Desmond more because of ****Spoiler**** <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Desmond getting the HB at the end!</span>) To stop what is told to happen at the end of AC2!

I think Feudal Japan would just kill the franchise. It'll turn too much like a Ninja game! But i agree with the good environment, guards, and lords! Tons of Assassination Missions - Some could be failures! To answer your question LemonySniffit (though it being rhetorical) Maybe the ancestor followed his enemy there...

OMG! That would be great! One of Desmond's ancestors starts off in one country then his enemies flee to feudal Japan and The ancestor has to go there to kill them! That would be good because people would think it's an assassin who needed to go to a ninja time not just an assassin being born into Feudal Japan ( That would be too ninja ish!)

Tell me what you think of my ideas lol!

HewieAlbino
12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Russia in the 1900s or Victorian London would be great settings. Gorgeous architecture, rough political times and so many historical characters to play with. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Solliz
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Honestly, I don't see world war two happening in anything more than a brief ancestor memory like the Altair scene in 2. I think that it is highly likely that multiple ancestors would be used. I can see Victorian London as a setting, big city, leap of faith of big Ben, tower of London, etc. I could see a tie in to Jack the ripper. I could also see the American revolution as a setting, running through Philly, new Amsterdam, Boston. Could make for some fun settings, and with the muzzle loaders at the time, gunplay wouldn't become two big of a factor. Both of these settings also share something in common, large amounts of free masons. Assassins creed plays heavily into conspiracy theories, and Freemasons are at the heart of many of them. Supposedly the masons are a continuation of the Templars after the church went after them. I doubt japan or Incan, Mayan or Egypt will come into to much play if any, those were from subject 16's memories from his ancestors, not desmond's. Sorry if this all rambling, but I'm posting from my phone and have a bit to drink tonight

FatRascal
12-06-2009, 06:22 AM
You mentioned Victorian London. That's one that I thought about too. Remember there was some sort of "Masonic" conspiracy theory about the Jack The Ripper murders, and it doesn't take too much poetic licence for the writers to turn "Masonic" into "Templars" - there are some connections, after all.

But you'd need more than just Victorian London, and Victorian-era cities in the rest of Britain - even in Europe - just don't seem that interesting.

BUT - you could have 19th Century New York (Gangs of New York aesthetic), a bit of Japan to keep all the ninja/samurai fans happy - the period was sort of the "last hurrah" of the Samurai culture in some ways and who knows what else.

Given that steamships were easily traversing the world by that time, there'd be no need to confine the ancestor to one country or region.

Just my 2p worth.

Sep.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
12-06-2009, 06:40 AM
I guess AC3 will be set in the new world.

Assassin's Creed II: Discovery.
The game's story takes place 15 years after the beginning of its console counterpart, Assassin's Creed II. It follows that game's protagonist, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, as he travels to 15th century Spain to free his fellow assassins, who have been imprisoned under the guise of the Spanish Inquisition. In the process, he discovers that the Knights Templar are planning to sail west to discover the New World. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A..._Creed_II:_Discovery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_II:_Discovery)

LemonySniffit
12-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Solliz:
I could also see the American revolution as a setting, running through Philly, new Amsterdam, Boston. Could make for some fun settings, and with the muzzle loaders at the time, gunplay wouldn't become two big of a factor. Both of these settings also share something in common, large amounts of free masons. Assassins creed plays heavily into conspiracy theories, and Freemasons are at the heart of many of them. Supposedly the masons are a continuation of the Templars after the church went after them.

Please explain some of these free mason conspiracy theories, I have American friends that mentioned them don't really understand what conspiricies supposedly happened..

Black_Widow9
12-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Please post this here-
Assassin's Creed 3 and beyond (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8251094497/p/1)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>