PDA

View Full Version : BluRay for xp

nazgul2000_944
08-14-2007, 03:23 PM
is there gonna be an assassin's creed bluray version of the game for xp, or just a regular DVD. also, if its just a regular dvd, will it still have similar controls, and have next-gen features?

Phreaky_McGeek
08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
There's no way that they'd cut the game to fit it on a DVD. Hardly anybody owns a Blu-Ray drive. I was just fine with having to use 5 CDs to play Riven before DVDs, and I'm sure 5 DVDs would be more than satisfactory to get the game onto.

Bartek_14
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
There's no way that they'd cut the game to fit it on a DVD. Hardly anybody owns a Blu-Ray drive. I was just fine with having to use 5 CDs to play Riven before DVDs, and I'm sure 5 DVDs would be more than satisfactory to get the game onto.

I guess they'll go with 2 DoubleLayer DVD's. It would be like ~18 gb.

katz_bg
08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Bartek_14:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:

I guess they'll go with 2 DoubleLayer DVD's. It would be like ~18 gb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
two double-layered dual-sided could fit 18GB, but I imagine the content storage system will shrink the game to a lot less than what it will be on blu-ray and hd-dvd for both consoles.
with the amount of space on them i don't see any reason to compress the resources and reduce performance... yet

but I am indeed interested in any non-guesswork information about this.

Phreaky_McGeek
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
The 360 doesn't use HD-DVD for games, though

nazgul2000_944
08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
well, do u need a special drive for double layer DVD's or is it just any dvd drive?? also, i though it would be on blu-ray disc cuz it would be next gen graphics...

Boromir323
08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I kinda doubt it will be blu-ray, how many people have blu-rays on their computers? But by the way thats a sweet username ya got their http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

davo81
08-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Omg, first a game doesn't need to be on blu ray (50 gb) to be 'next-gen'...it probably wont even be over 10 - 12gb in size...the xbox 360 will use compression...to fit 8.5gb and the ps3 can just slab it onto it's 50 gb disc..and pc will have two dual layer dvd's or...if steam...might be a big download tho...and also, no the 360 does NOT use HD-DVD for it's games..only movies...thats why i got a PS3.

Phreaky_McGeek
08-15-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by nazgul2000_944:
well, do u need a special drive for double layer DVD's
no

katz_bg
08-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
The 360 doesn't use HD-DVD for games, though
there's one more minus of the 360 i didn't know about.
now i do.

the_assassin_07
08-15-2007, 03:50 AM
What, you're asking if they would make a blu-ray disk for a computer? Definitely not. If an Xbox 360 can't handle it how could a computer?

Phreaky_McGeek
08-15-2007, 04:09 AM
The 360 can "handle" it easily, it's just big corperate names fighting over other brands, hence the 360 only has a HD-DVD player and the PS3 only has a Blu-Ray player.

Loads of modern PCs are sold with the option to have a Blu-Ray player installed, and most of them could easily outrun the 360.

the_assassin_07
08-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Wow. I've never known P.C's are so powerful...

Phreaky_McGeek
08-15-2007, 04:34 AM
lol.

Atheist2012
08-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by the_assassin_07:
Wow. I've never known P.C's are so powerful...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif
Developers won't likely utilize PCs with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drives until that particular format war is over and the victor becomes the norm.

dragfindel
08-15-2007, 04:41 AM
+ pc's only have to install and then play on one disc and a xbox needs to run it from the disc (wich makes pc have faster load times.)
and dis swapping for a game console can be annoying then.
the only thing pc whould atvangtage over with a new medium is no dvd swapping during installing.

GPNM
08-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by dragfindel:
+ pc's only have to install and then play on one disc and a xbox needs to run it from the disc (wich makes pc have faster load times.)
and dis swapping for a game console can be annoying then.
the only thing pc whould atvangtage over with a new medium is no dvd swapping during installing.
Actually the Xbox 360 stores some game data on the hard drive to reduce load times so that it doesn't load everything from the disk.

Back on topic though,

The game will most likely be no more than 9 GB or so. Blu-ray is far away from being used to sell games on PC. The only game that I can think of that's going to fully utilize Blu-Ray is Lair (and that's for PS3).

dragfindel
08-15-2007, 05:36 AM
okay but how does it work if you have memory cards?

GPNM
08-15-2007, 05:44 AM
okay but how does it work if you have memory cards?

What do you mean?

Memory cards are simply Flash Memory.
Think of your MP3 player (non-iPod).
You connect it to your PC via a port (USB in this case) and you can easily transfer any files you want to it.

That's the basis of how a memory card works. It interfaces with the console, and due to the fact that Flash Memory is easily recorded and deleted, it can (potentially) run faster than a hard drive for small amounts of data. In the long run though, when you have large files (over a megabyte) hard drives are a much better option.

dragfindel
08-15-2007, 05:46 AM
look i meant if you have no hdd for your xbox where does it install your games on your xbox then?

GPNM
08-15-2007, 05:50 AM
look i meant if you have no hdd for your xbox where does it install your games on your xbox then?
It doesn't install it...

Let me explain this again.

When you run a game on your Xbox 360, part of the game data that needs to be loaded gets copied on to the hard drive (usually as part of the profile you have to create for the game). When you run the game, instead of only loading from the DVD it loads part of it from the HDD.

If you don't have a hard drive...then you're screwed.

dragfindel
08-15-2007, 05:58 AM
ah okay since a few buddies of mine have the core edition so it means for them that they have longer loading times and less quality the i do with the premium edition?
i don't know much about pc 's xboxes and stuff :P

GPNM
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
ah okay since a few buddies of mine have the core edition so it means for them that they have longer loading times and less quality the i do with the premium edition?
i don't know much about pc 's xboxes and stuff :P

Essentially, yes.
The core version of the Xbox 360 is a joke, and a waste of money.

A hard drive is mandatory in the next-gen (exactly the reason why the Wii will have a much shorter "life-span" than the PS3 or Xbox 360).

dragfindel
08-15-2007, 07:04 AM
thanx gpnm so i will tell them they should buy a hard drive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mulle_DK13
08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
LOL... The game is easily put on a single DVD!

With todays technology you can even compress 18GB down to 5.1 MB (Yea, I'm serious!)

katz_bg
08-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:
LOL... The game is easily put on a single DVD!

With todays technology you can even compress 18GB down to 5.1 MB (Yea, I'm serious!)
I can guarantee you that 9GB do not "easily" fit on a single DVD. Especially if you're going to have it in mass production you'd have to force all your distributors to change their hardware and likely software to make that happen. And many (many many) retail buyers will NOT be able to open those DVDs because of firmware and other restrictions of their DVD drives.

In short... It's too much of a headache to do what you suggest.

Mulle_DK13
08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
LOL... Splinter Cell 4 is 12GB... It was on a single DVD....

I can guarantee, that it does!

GPNM
08-15-2007, 01:15 PM
LOL... Splinter Cell 4 is 12GB... It was on a single DVD....

I can guarantee, that it does!
12 GB, 18 GB...yea that can be compressed down to a single dual-layer DVD.

Not to 5 MB.

@Dragfindel,

Make sure you tell your friends to buy the XBOX 360 Hard drive and not just any hard drive...I've seen some people buy themselves a 500 GB HD for their Xbox 360's get very pissed off when they realize that it's a completely different connection.

nazgul2000_944
08-15-2007, 03:51 PM
a pc with windows vista, and a new ATI radeon 1g graphic card with HD support can beat in graphics ANY SYSTEM OUT THERE for games, dont argue its been proven.

Mulle_DK13
08-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by GPNM:
Not to 5 MB.

LOL. Yes it can... Apparently non of you guys, interests in technology. There has been competitions for this ****, man!

They packed a 300 mb game down to 96 kb. So 18gb will be 5.1 mb!

Boromir323
08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
a pc with windows vista, and a new ATI radeon 1g graphic card with HD support can beat in graphics ANY SYSTEM OUT THERE for games, dont argue its been proven.

That was kinda random...and off topic. I dont really agree, but in a few years PC's will deffinitly have the potential to be far superior to consoles.

davo81
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM

So, first off your saying that i dont need a case cpu or ram...oh and no power supply? i just need the graphics card with a box copy of windows vista eh? and besides...ATI sucks for long distance rendering...and they aren't very efficient power wise and heat wise...and if ur talking about the HD 2900 XT...well that series is stuffed..it has so many bugs... i mean cmon it got 20 fps on lost planet average on max settings on 1280 x 1024..and a single 8800 GTX got 80 fps average with same settings and resolution....and if ur talking about the FIRE GL haha...they weren't made for games...GOOD DAY SIR. lol

Phreaky_McGeek
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
The HD range sounds fancy but it's nothing on the modern Geforce cards.

Even with everything installed something tells me AC would still suffer with a 166mhz CPU and 32mb RAM.

nazgul2000_944
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
u dont need vista for assassin's creed, it will be out on pc DVD

katz_bg
08-16-2007, 02:03 AM
BFD (look wikipedia 5th row)
it's totally not in the discussion here.
nothing to do with blu-ray or the needed storage discussion.

davo81 what you say about the HD series it true for now. that will change as soon as ATi get their OpenGL drivers running. by hardware the HD cards are a lot better, but the drivers are way behind.

GPNM
08-16-2007, 04:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GPNM:
Not to 5 MB.

LOL. Yes it can... Apparently non of you guys, interests in technology. There has been competitions for this ****, man!

They packed a 300 mb game down to 96 kb. So 18gb will be 5.1 mb! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, no it can't.
If you'd like to prove it, show a link.

@Nazgul

The Radeon HD series is completely inferior to the Geforce 8 series.

On another note, the Geforce 8 series, from a hardware standpoint is much more advanced than any of the consoles' graphic cards.

katz_bg
08-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by GPNM:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:

Again, no it can't.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't show you a link, but I do know a guy who compressed a 700MB movie to ~5mb RAR file which extracts to full size and quality.
there sure are freaks in this world.

Phreaky_McGeek
08-16-2007, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GPNM:
Not to 5 MB.

They packed a 300 mb game down to 96 kb. So 18gb will be 5.1 mb! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In that case perhaps you could explain why games are still put on 8GB disks rather than floppy disks...?

GPNM
08-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by katz_bg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:

Again, no it can't.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't show you a link, but I do know a guy who compressed a 700MB movie to ~5mb RAR file which extracts to full size and quality.
there sure are freaks in this world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I somehow doubt that he compressed it into a RAR file...an ACE file...perhaps (That's still more feasible than 18 gb down to 5 MB). In any case, compressing something into a RAR/ZIP/ACE format makes it unimaginably slow to load while running a game.

Just imagine what would happen if Oblivion loaded RAR files while it was running for every texture/sound etc.