PDA

View Full Version : Download in Windows7

BCHockey
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I just got a new desktop that came with Win 7. I am trying to get the Pacific Fighters and IL2 on it. My old pc had XP. When the icon comes up to download, I click on it and nothing happens. Tried several times but no go. No problem with the discs. Any suggestions and help? thanks

antifreeze
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
> the icon comes up to download, I click on it and nothing happens

Assuming you mean 'install' (from the disks) rather than 'download (from the internet)...

My 'il2 1946' disk did the same thing on Win7. AutoRun didn't install the game, and neither did running setup manually.

However, there was also a file on the disk called a.exe, and when I double-clicked that, it installed and ran OK.

MB_Avro_UK
01-28-2011, 06:08 AM
I too had problems loading onto Windows 7 64 bit. This is the advice I received from a forum member (Thanks,Jim!).

So, is this a recent Win7 install or perhaps one that has very few games on it? If so, did you let il2 install to the default location (which will have been in Program Files) or did you create a new folder for the game to install to?

You really need to create a new folder. The reason for this is that vista/win7 have an inbuilt defence mechanism to prevent malware infection and this, basically, prevents any changes being made to files which are stored in the Program Files folder. The fact that your problem occurs when trying to patch il2 suggests that you might not have created a new folder and win7 is preventing the patches from making changes. Of course, if you have already created a new folder then that blows this theory out of the water.

To create a new folder click on Start then My Computer then Local Disc C: This should take you to a screen where you can see several folders, two of which should be called Program Files. Once you've reached this screen you are in the correct location. You do not want to go into Program Files. You should now right click the mouse and select the option to create new folder then rename the folder something like BCHgames. Once you've done that you're going to have to re-install il2 into the BCHgames folder.

If this is the first time you've created a new folder for games then you're going to need to change the address that the patches install to.