PDA

View Full Version : Heritage flights

AerialTarget
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Most of you know what heritage flights are. They are demonstrations at United States airshows where a modern military aircraft flies in formation with a warbird. Now, I've noticed that they tend to pair up planes that are similar in design, role, and relative performance. For instance, last year the F/A-18 Hornet flew with the F-4U Corsair and an F-16 flew with a P-51 Mustang. The year before that, the A-10 flew with the P-40 Warhawk. All three pairs are exactly the way I would choose. I can't wait to see Joltin' Josie fly in formation with an F-15 Eagle.

The F-15 and P-38 are both very fast, large fighters that are none the less capable of turning with lighter fighters because of their massive wing area. The F-16 and P-51 are both mass produced, cost effective aircraft that are good all around and easy to fly. The F/A-18 and the F-4U are both carrier based fighters (I must admit that their handling characteristics are quite opposite). And the A-10 and P-40 Warhawk are both slow aircraft, rather maneuverable, and able to take a beating, and therefore best at ground attack.

Those are the pairs that I've seen fly (except for the F-15 and the P-38). What other pairs can you think of? An obvious one might be MiG-29 to MiG-3, but I think that the MiG-29 corresponds more to the Yak. And you Brits might have a hard time thinking up a match for the Spitfire.

AerialTarget
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Most of you know what heritage flights are. They are demonstrations at United States airshows where a modern military aircraft flies in formation with a warbird. Now, I've noticed that they tend to pair up planes that are similar in design, role, and relative performance. For instance, last year the F/A-18 Hornet flew with the F-4U Corsair and an F-16 flew with a P-51 Mustang. The year before that, the A-10 flew with the P-40 Warhawk. All three pairs are exactly the way I would choose. I can't wait to see Joltin' Josie fly in formation with an F-15 Eagle.

The F-15 and P-38 are both very fast, large fighters that are none the less capable of turning with lighter fighters because of their massive wing area. The F-16 and P-51 are both mass produced, cost effective aircraft that are good all around and easy to fly. The F/A-18 and the F-4U are both carrier based fighters (I must admit that their handling characteristics are quite opposite). And the A-10 and P-40 Warhawk are both slow aircraft, rather maneuverable, and able to take a beating, and therefore best at ground attack.

Those are the pairs that I've seen fly (except for the F-15 and the P-38). What other pairs can you think of? An obvious one might be MiG-29 to MiG-3, but I think that the MiG-29 corresponds more to the Yak. And you Brits might have a hard time thinking up a match for the Spitfire.

DeerHunterUK
06-14-2005, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AerialTarget:
And you Brits might have a hard time thinking up a match for the Spitfire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A modern day jet match up for the Spitfire would be difficult (maybe the Eurofighter Typhoon) but if older jets were included then I'd say the Hawker Hunter (was still in service with the Swiss Air Force in the 90's) with it's excellent agility and speed would be a good choice.