PDA

View Full Version : USS Yorktown decommissioned this week

DxyFlyr
11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
(No, not that one) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This one...

USS Yorktown (http://www.yorktown.navy.mil/)

SilverWings25th
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
wonder why, sems like a perfectly good ship to me

JorBR
11-29-2004, 11:36 AM
All older Ticos will be decommissioned. Maintenance cost issues IIRC.

JorBR
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Sorry, it´s more like modernization costs:

"The first five ships don't possess the power of the final units. The main reason for this deficit is the MK 26 launcher instead of the MK 41 VLS. MK 26 is not able to launch TOMAHAWK cruise missiles. They also possess a less capable version of the AEGIS system and CG-47 and CG-48 are only equipped with LAMPS I helicopters.

Early plans considered to decommission these five ships, equip them with VLS and re-commission them to adapt them to the standard of the later ships. However, in 2003, the Navy decided to upgrade only 22 of the 27 ships (CG 52 - CG 73), in an effort to keep these ships combat-relevant until a new generation of surface warships can be designed and built. This conversion will give the ships a service life of 35 years each. The conversion will also allow the ships to participate in land attack, littoral undersea warfare, force protection and anti-air defense missions, including ballistic missile defense. The first ship scheduled to go through the conversion is the CAPE ST. GEORGE (CG 71) starting in 2006. The final ship will begin conversion in 2014.
(...)
CG 47 - CG 51 will not receive the conversion and will be decommissioned by 2006, starting with the TICONDEROGA (CG 47) in 2004."

DxyFlyr
11-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I heard about the Yorktown decommissioning on the radio this morning. I knew it wasn't THE Yorktown, but it got me wondering why the Navy doesn't "retire" certain ship names ...kind of like a ball team will retire a jersey when a great player is gone.

I mean, come on, when someone says the name Yorktown, we all think of the same ship. Well, ok, maybe also the carrier that replaced her.

I googled it and came up with a bunch of Yorktowns. The first was a sloop (I think) back in the 1840's. I realize its a bit of USN (and other navies) tradition to carry on ship names like this, but you'd think every now and then when one becomes prominent in history, they'd retire the name?

Just wondering out loud.

Waldo.Pepper
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
If you start retireing names what would Captain Kirk command?

You've got to be more careful. You can't go and mess with future history like that.

DxyFlyr
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Oh my! Excellent point. Forget I ever said anything.

Jason Bourne
11-29-2004, 02:46 PM
also, i does not apear to be one of the advanced Ticons, it has the early model rail missile launch system, rather than the modul (sp) vertical launch system of the new ones.