PDA

View Full Version : pilot fatigue: I ask for Oleg's opinion

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi,
this subject is intriguing me from so long (someone, maybe, remember other threads about this), and I convinced myself that continuous aerobatic manoeuvering couldn't be sustained by WWII era pilots, and that this, in turn, heavily influences the "relative safety" of flying a manoeuvreable plane vs fast plane.
But... I'm not a pilot and maybe I'm wrong, so I ask Oleg to briefly discuss about this aspect of the game, if it would be a problem (in terms of coding, in terms of realism, of playability, or whatever) or not to include it in a new flight sim.
Thank you

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi,
this subject is intriguing me from so long (someone, maybe, remember other threads about this), and I convinced myself that continuous aerobatic manoeuvering couldn't be sustained by WWII era pilots, and that this, in turn, heavily influences the "relative safety" of flying a manoeuvreable plane vs fast plane.
But... I'm not a pilot and maybe I'm wrong, so I ask Oleg to briefly discuss about this aspect of the game, if it would be a problem (in terms of coding, in terms of realism, of playability, or whatever) or not to include it in a new flight sim.
Thank you

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I recall Oleg did mention about modelling pilot fatigue for Battle of Britain when it comes out.... he basically said something along the lines of it would be included, but did not go into specifics.

I agree, pilot fatigue would add another aspect to a flight sim, although what you model and how you do it looks complex. Do you have a loss of pilot strength as they suffer from G effects, a cumulative level of fatigue that is based upon the manuvoers they do, and the time they have been flying?

It would be interesting to hear more on this /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

Message Edited on 12/14/0307:36PM by NegativeGee

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 07:06 AM
I recall a friend of mine playing a Korean era jet sim that modeled stamina in this manner...

There was some sort of graphic (Like a bar at the top) and when you pulled a high G move, you lost stamina. The more G moves you pulled the more stamina you lost and the slower your plane would roll, pitch, etc. If you flew level for some period of time, you would regain your stamina.

I thought that was a great idea, and since you cant actually feel your stamina loss, a graphic would be needed IMHO, much like hud text.

Too bad it's way too late to incorporate this in FB. I suspect all the flippy floppy moves you see would stop rather quickly.

Again, IMHO, it's the pilot that's not modeled well in FB. The way a pilot sees things (Head tilt, etc.) the way a human body reacts to G's (Other than red/black out).

I think Oleg did a great job with the sim, and with every patch/update, the game gets better and better.

Oleg does a wonderful job of balancing realism and computer abilities! It's a give and take, put one thing in, and have too remove something of the game becomes unplayable on the "Across the board" average computer the customer will be using.

Now if we could just get a complex DM for the 190 so it wouldnt have paper wings... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Again, I think the wing issue is probably a trade off. Made the wings stronger and the whole DM has to be stronger, giving the 190 unrealistic resistance to gunfire... but that's another issue completely...

I hope BoB has fatigue modeled in it! But until then, I am very satisfied with IL2/FB!

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/Fehler.jpg