PDA

View Full Version : What is: The Performance Test

bweiss
11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
From the 301 patch readme:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In this version we are also offering the players to test a new method of running the game. This new method should increase the game‚‚ā¨ôs performance. Both the old and the new methods are available at any time, and are fully compatible online.

If you want to test this new method, install PF_patch301.exe (PF_patch301m.exe) first. After the installation, run PF_patch301_new.exe (PF_patch301m_new.exe). After that, run the pf_new.exe (il2fb_new.exe) executable in your PF game folder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, now I have a question. What exactly, does the new thing do, or I guess how does the new thing do the new thing, that is? The readme says they will put it in automenu's in the future if we like it. Okay, but what am we supposed to be looking fer exactly? Blazing speed, the whoosh of blowing hair, what? And, presuming I notice something, how does the lil bugger do the new thing? What exactly is the new thing?

bweiss
11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
From the 301 patch readme:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In this version we are also offering the players to test a new method of running the game. This new method should increase the game‚‚ā¨ôs performance. Both the old and the new methods are available at any time, and are fully compatible online.

If you want to test this new method, install PF_patch301.exe (PF_patch301m.exe) first. After the installation, run PF_patch301_new.exe (PF_patch301m_new.exe). After that, run the pf_new.exe (il2fb_new.exe) executable in your PF game folder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, now I have a question. What exactly, does the new thing do, or I guess how does the new thing do the new thing, that is? The readme says they will put it in automenu's in the future if we like it. Okay, but what am we supposed to be looking fer exactly? Blazing speed, the whoosh of blowing hair, what? And, presuming I notice something, how does the lil bugger do the new thing? What exactly is the new thing?

JR_Greenhorn
11-22-2004, 09:36 PM
The "new thing" is an excecutable that runs the game. Its being referred to as "new.exe" presently, defaulting the previous file to "old.exe." Both versions can be used for now. Game performance should increase with the new.exe, but we are to test it to make sure.

The performance increases I have seen with the new.exe include much quicker load times, both for the game itself and mission loads. Also, performance has increased for me while playing the game. I can run higher graphics settings, or leave them low and get less stutters on a lower end machine that I use.

Also, I have had some crashes with both exes since patching, and identifying these are part of testing performance as well.

I hope that helps to clarify things for you.

jamesdietz
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Can I go back & download this in the right order, even tho i've done the patch for the combined FRB/PF game. Can I do download again without starting over???

Swivet
11-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I suggest saving every patch and update on cd http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
No need to re-download http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

ZG77_Lignite
11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
The 'new.exe' is a standalone download (about 6mb I believe), and is installed over (after) the regular 3.01m (or 3.01 standalone) patch.