PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking The Graphics

Belphegorn
02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Pilots!

I would like to know if there are any mods or utilities that improve the game's graphics. Which would You recommend?

Cheers!

major_setback
02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
FS Autostart will close a lot of background processes on your computer, saving resources and improving frame-rates. Programs are re-started automatically after you stop simming. All you need to know about it is written here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/320...201029173#3201029173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3201029173?r=3201029173#3201029173)

It will show more improvement on an older system than on a newer one.

PF_Coastie
02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
First we need to know your system details.

Belphegorn
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
~1,5 Gb RAM
Saphire Radeon X1950XT 256Mb
Saitek X52

Help...

Neuromant
02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I hope you dont mind manga that i use your topic, but i have similar problem.
I can play it normally. Especially in offline...the game froze for sec to 3 sec. Usually when i meet enemy escadron.

Dos it make sence...my system is:
My system is:
Athlon 64 3200+
AMD K8 Ath. 64 3200+ s.939 BOX
DIMM 2*512 DDR400-3200 PQI
EPoX 9NPA7I nF4 s.939 PCI-E
256MB Club 3D 7600GT PCI-Exp
HDD 250GB Seagate IDE 8M 7200

major_setback
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Neuromant:
I hope you dont mind manga that i use your topic, but i have similar problem.
I can play it normally. Especially in offline...the game froze for sec to 3 sec. Usually when i meet enemy escadron.

Dos it make sence...my system is:
My system is:
Athlon 64 3200+
AMD K8 Ath. 64 3200+ s.939 BOX
DIMM 2*512 DDR400-3200 PQI
EPoX 9NPA7I nF4 s.939 PCI-E
256MB Club 3D 7600GT PCI-Exp
HDD 250GB Seagate IDE 8M 7200

You would be better off starting a new thread with this question in the Community Help forum, here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=corfrm&cf=49310655

Monty_Thrud
02-15-2007, 04:22 PM
This was a sticky awhile back...sorry cannot remember the guys name...

Go to Start>all programs>Ubisoft>IL2 Sturmovik 1946>setup...

I've seen confusion and misunderstanding of some of the settings in IL-2 Setup so I thought I'd explain what each setting does. I know you all probably understand most of the settings but there are a few mysterious ones that you may have wondered about. Aso, most of my reccomendations are for better performance on low to mid range computers.

Driver Tab
Providor: OpenGL or DirextX. OpenGL will most often give the best performance, especially on Nvidia cards, but try both and see which one give better performance.

"Full Screen" mode is the standard way to play the game and will often give the best performance/stability.

Video Mode: Choosing lower resolutions and color modes will greatly increase framerate and lower memory usage.

"Use Stencil Buffer" enables translucent shadows and is required for "Perfect" mode graphics. For a slight performance boost, turn this setting off.

Video Tab
Texture Mipmap Filter: Simply put, this setting affects how sharp a texture may look when viewed from large angles. Anisotropic offers the best image quality at a performance loss, and bilinear filtering offers the best performance at a still acceptable texture quality. I reccomend bilinear but it is up to personal tase and your hardware.

Texture Compression: This setting can greatly reduce the memory load and increase framerate by compressing textures. S3TC gives the greatest compression and may cause some minor artifacts like little squares on water but it can greatly help or eliminate stuttering. I reccomend S3TC for low memory systems.

"Use Dither" helps eliminate the ugly color "banding" when running the game in 16-bit color mode. Has no effect in 32-bit color mode. Reccomended in 16-bit color mode.

"Use Vertex Arrays" gives faster performance without image quality loss because it allows vertices to be used in groups (arrays) instead of individually. Turn this on.

"Polygon Stipple" is a way of emulating or faking translucent shadows when the stencil buffer is turned off. It does this by creating a "dotted" effect that looks translucent (not unlike the stubble of incoming facial hair). Turn this off for a small performance boost. If stencil buffer and polygon stipple are both turned off, you'll get completely black shadows which isn't much of a drawback.

"Multitexture" affects all multitexturing used in the game, most notably, some water effects, and the very high clouds that are textured to appear more "chunky." Without multitexture, these clouds are smooth white instead of textured. Highly reccomended to leave this on but turning off yeilds performance boost.

"Combine" allows more advanced multitexturing effects. For example, the murky water effect near edges of rivers to simulate shallow depth uses this extension. Turning off gives small performance boost but I reccomend to be leave it on.

Turning off "Secondary Color" creates graphic anomalies during fog. For example, nearby forests may not appear to be "fogged out" while everythng else is. This may give a performance boost when turned off but I reccomend it to be left on.

"Vertex Array Extension" allows the use of vertex arrays as explained above. Reccomended on.

"Clip Hint" tells the driver that clip volume clipping for primitives is not neccesary. Basically, it tells the driver not to worry about something the game doesn't do anyway. Minor performance increase when checked (about 1 fps). Reccomended on.

"Use Palette" uses paletted textures instead of full color textures. This can save memory with little to no image quality loss. About 1 fps increase when checked. Reccomended on.

"Texture Anisotropic Extension" should be checked if you selected anisotropic as your mipmap filter. Otherise, uncheck it.

"Texture Compress ARB Extension" should be checked if you're using S3TC for texture compression. Otherwise, uncheck it.

Sound Tab
Playback Channels: The number of channels sound can be played through. Fewer channels give better performance. 8, 16, and 32 are your options but 16 is pretty much the minimum or else sounds may cut out when firing the weapons on a plane with many guns. I reccomend is 16.

Speaker Type: Self-explanitory, select your setup.

"Reverse Stereo" should only be checked if your left/right sounds are reversed.

3D Engine Mode: Affects sound engine quality/features. Settings are self-explanitory. I reccomend the minimal mode though I notice very little quality differences between the modes.

Sampling Rate: Affects the sound quality, lower gives better performance. It's up to personal preference but I reccomend 22050 for low to mid range PC's.

"Audio Enhancements and Hardware Acceleration" enables the use of hardware for sound and uses more sound features/effects. The use of extra sound enhancements actually decreases performance, up to 10 fps or even more for some so I reccomend this off.

...theres also the conf.ini file to adjust for even better features, maybe someone else will oblige...Trees, water, effects, show naked ladies, etc

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I smell sticky. Now why couldnt the game developers provide this info.

Ill tell ya something that a lot of theses game developers dont know how to market their goods too well. They need to know what the avg gamer wants and provide it as long as the wants are not unreasonable.

I would wok to make configuration as easy as possible and not release a game without providing selections for the latest hardware such as the 7000 series video cards which have been around for over a year. I can see leaving out support for the 8800's and X-FI's

Excellent read and this is now saved to a text file in my general gaming info directory.

The issue I have if I lower sound req's for my Xtreme gamer SB, I get lots of static and freeze problems for some reason.

Lurch1962
02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I went to Ken Salter's web site but can't seem to find FSAutoStart. The search utility doesn't lead to anything, except what appear to be "look-a-likes" on sponsored sites.

Where can I find it? Thanx!

--Lurch--

bchivers3377
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Which drivers are you using? I like the NGOHQ (http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=9) or the Omega (http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php) drivers. They work better for me than the regular ATI drivers. They won't make a huge difference but every little bit helps.

Does anybody else have a problem with the notification? I never get notified when a thread gets answered.

bchivers3377
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Lurch1962:
I went to Ken Salter's web site but can't seem to find FSAutoStart. The search utility doesn't lead to anything, except what appear to be "look-a-likes" on sponsored sites.

--Lurch-- Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml)

Lurch1962
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks, bchivers!

--Lurch--

major_setback
02-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by bchivers3377:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:

--Lurch-- Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try Gooogle. I just did a quick search and found this download link. ::
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

Two direct download links are on the site.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/FSAutoStart--build-Download-14374.html

-HH- Beebop
02-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Great post Monty. I do have one question...

Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
...theres also the conf.ini file to adjust for even better features, maybe someone else will oblige...Trees, water, effects, show naked ladies, etc
I'm very interested in that last feature. I already have 3D gunners enabled so do I add a line to the conf.ini file;
"Show Naked Ladies =1"?

bluedragon1950
02-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Please be carefull when you try to change selection in IL-2 SETUP appliaction. Here is what happened to me:

I turned on 'Use Stencil Buffer' and nothing else. When I ran the game, the color for water and cloud looked so bad. I then reset (turn off) 'Use Stencil Buffer', re-run IL-2 SETUP and the problem didn't go away. I had to uninstall and re-install the game from scratch.