PDA

View Full Version : U-Boats the GREATEST antiair platform EVER

Hierophant
05-08-2006, 05:08 PM
So there I was on patrol in my IXB U-110 between Halifax and Massachusetts when all of a sudden a PBY dives on me, guns blazing. I was foolishly on the surface in shallow water (30 meters under the keel) in daylight, so I decide to stay on the surface and fight it out.

Almost nonchalantly, my AA gunners blow the PBY out of the sky. Cool I think, but we shouldn't try that again. So I head for deeper water. Not 5 minutes later the WO reports aircraft. Three Short Sunderlands. Ok, still can't dive, so we man the flak guns again. Long story short, we get straddled once but good, heavy damage to the after torpedo room and knocked down to about 50% hull integrity. The flak gunners dust all three aircraft.

Long story short, on my 2 1/2 hour run to water where it's deep enough to actually submerge I am attacked almost endlessly by aircraft. My flak gunners's final score? EIGHTEEN aircraft...2 PBY's, 8 Short Sunderlands and 8 Hurricanes. Anybody want to hire these guys?

I did have the IX/3 tower upgrade with the 37mm and 2 20mm flak guns, but come ON.

Realism now in question http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

trident42
05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, it is too easy to down aircraft in this game, fun though it might be. In the real war, German subs downed hardly any enemy aircraft, i forget the actual number, but were themselves creamed by allied aircraft.

The_Silent_O
05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Great shooting....

...but I question the arrival of the Sunderlands and Hurricanes...methinks they were not stationed in North America. The Game is close to realistic but not perfect.

lecek
05-08-2006, 06:42 PM
30 meters is plenty deep to dive. Go flank and dive to 25 meters. You can pull up before you get there.

It isn't as fast as a crash dive though. (Just hitting 'p' is slower yet.)

I would have finnised off that first plane and spent the next few hours at 15-20 meters.

When one group of planes spots you there are good odds that another will be comming shortly. And if there are DD's on the surface you might find yourself battling aircraft with DD's closing in. Not pretty.

Though I admit aircraft are a bit easy in this game, I wouldn't get into the habbit of being complacent. I just lost a captain a couple weeks ago to a hurrican in 39. Better be safe then sorry, unless you don't play DiD. Then I guess it doesn't matter.

Josef_Reiter
05-09-2006, 04:18 AM
I use this method for a quick shallow dive. First I press CRASH DIVE... wait untill the subs nose goes under and then press "P" I think this make s the sub dive a little quicker, maybe maybe not. I like to hear the bell ring though lol

Hierophant
05-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Oh I agree that there was plenty of water to actually get submerged in...I just didn't think it was a good idea to dive to 20 meters with planes overhead and have them drop depth charges with 50' fuse settings on me...

Dominicrigg
05-09-2006, 05:10 AM
I never use automatic AA gunners, they are far too accurate. To keep the game as "realistic" for me as i can i only allow myself to use the AA guns. If you do this you will find it very hard to shoot down a plane! (unless im just a ****e shot lol)

And yes you could have dived to 20 metres or even 15 metres and they would not have seen you!