PDA

View Full Version : New clouds nice looking but are not realistic!

Kwiatos
12-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Maby new clouds look nice from distance and there are much more on the sky then old but new clouds are not allow to plane to hide in. In new clouds is near impossible to hide and lost enemy at your six. Your plane is visible in clouds at large range of distance which is ridicolous. Many host and servers use these funny new clouds which are nonuseless and cause either low fps. Clouds are often only chance to survive for plane but definitly not new PF clouds.

Viper2005_
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
The new clouds are strictly VFR for me. If I fly in them I have a massive drop in frame rate, which causes lags and stutters online.

It's a shame because they're pretty and I'd like to be able to use them, but they cause more of a performance hit on my system than water 3...

actionhank1786
12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
The clouds haven't really affected me FPS wise, but i do agree, i wish there was a way to hide in them.
Nothing bugs me more than getting my *** blown off by a plane who followed me into a cloud bank.

Viper2005_
12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I only get a performance hit when I'm actually inside cloud - but when it hits, it hits hard. I drop from 60 fps to less than 20...

TooCooL34
12-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I prefer old clouds.
Hope TypeClouds=0 apply bug is fixed in next patch, if it ever comes out.

Brain32
12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I only get a performance hit when I'm actually inside cloud - but when it hits, it hits hard. I drop from 60 fps to less than 20...
Exactly the same thing is happening to me, althoug lowest I saw was 23fps...
But they look awsome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

LEBillfish
12-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I've not run into this problem.......SOmeone goes into a cloud and I'm not close enough OR they don't loiter on the fringe I lose them easily.........Perhaps what you're experiencing is someone flying in "F6" when externals are on......

If so simply another reason to make the F2 & F6 keys a switch otion for servers......(my guess is if they ever did you'd rarely see them on anylonger)

Kwiatos
12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
No external F6. I fly full realistic servers mostly virtual fronts and stupid new clouds dont allow to hide inside. I could see other plane inside new clouds even at not so very close distance (100-300 or higher). I tried many times to escape in clouds from enemy without succes. The same i could tracking enemy which try to hide from me in clouds. These is stupid and no realistic.

VW-IceFire
12-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Some points on the clouds (as I see it).

1) FPS loss generally occurs on slower systems (surprise surprise) and it generally is the worst when inside thick clouds and during the rainstorm/thunderstorm/blind visibility conditions.

2) Only certain clouds and areas of clouds can you see through the cloud. Having been inside of a few clouds from time to time myself you'll realize that sometimes you can see infront of you because there is sufficient visibility and other times you can't see your own nose. There are areas of the clouds in the game (using the new clouds) where you cannot see anything infront of you. You are effectively blind...other areas will let you see slightly ahead.

3) Lets be frank...we're being told about a situation where you've got two guys chasing each other at a few hundred meters and you can just see the outline ahead of you when you go into the cloud. Not a huge surprise really...clouds aren't crutches after you get a guy on your six and you want the easy route "hide in cloud you can't see me!". However, they are fantastic tools when you're flying a full real penetration strike in a bomber or a fighter bomber. They can't see in from outside and finding you while inside is like a needle in a haystack.

At the densest portions of the new clouds you cannot see anything. The outer layers are less dense and you can see ahead of you...progressively better as you get closer to the outside of the cloud. But its not like you can see through them. Thats a pretty gross misrepresentation in my estimation.

Of course perhaps graphics settings and different cards factor in as well.

On my system, only the thunderstorm/rainclouds cause any FPS drop and its still playable in most situations. Chasing guys through clouds is sufficiently difficult and loosing someone in a cloud is more than possible.

p1ngu666
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
im not sure the average cloud is really big enuff to lose someone anyways

carguy_
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes,that and a big FPS drop for older vid cards.New clouds brought my PC to its knees.Not even ship flak does this.

As I always roll the plane to see what happens around,my fps jump from 68 to 28 in the moment the clouds get visible on the horison.

VW-IceFire
12-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
Select "Blind" or "Rain/Snow" and its hard to find clear patches of sky under 4000m.

Fluffly little "Good" condition clouds do not count.

polak5
12-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:

I dont think hes trying to stop the plane, get out of the cockpit, and pitch a tent on a cloud.

Hes talking about changing direction or making some drastic manuver to escape, also to get on the enemies six.

Brain32
12-03-2005, 05:09 AM
1) FPS loss generally occurs on slower systems (surprise surprise) and it generally is the worst when inside thick clouds and during the rainstorm/thunderstorm/blind visibility conditions.

Erhm, Ice, I think this is a general thing, I don't have top-end system, but it's far from slow, the only question is how low will the FPS drop, in my case 23 is lowest but some get signifficantly lower... In my opinion since it's only happening when actually IN the cloud, this is not a big deal since you don't need(badly) that extra fluidity when you don't fight...

p1ngu666
12-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by polak5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:

I dont think hes trying to stop the plane, get out of the cockpit, and pitch a tent on a cloud.

Hes talking about changing direction or making some drastic manuver to escape, also to get on the enemies six. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, but u need sufficent cloud that he cant quickly reaquire u, so yes u can get someone off your 6 with cloud, but not as good as if there was a huge cloudbank..

ECV56_Rolf
12-03-2005, 05:51 AM
Funny to read this while flying a campaign that has got into bad weather for many days.

Ground attack planes are the most cheerfull of all. They started to come back with successfull missions more often than in good weather, they only started to complain when weather got so bad that clouds go to 500ms. This hampered anti AA tactics a lot.

Hiding bombers into the clouds after their attack is a common practice now, and you can easily miss them in blind weather flying at 500m from them.

The only complain about this thing is not the clouds, but the AI shooting through them.

VW-IceFire
12-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1) FPS loss generally occurs on slower systems (surprise surprise) and it generally is the worst when inside thick clouds and during the rainstorm/thunderstorm/blind visibility conditions.

Erhm, Ice, I think this is a general thing, I don't have top-end system, but it's far from slow, the only question is how low will the FPS drop, in my case 23 is lowest but some get signifficantly lower... In my opinion since it's only happening when actually IN the cloud, this is not a big deal since you don't need(badly) that extra fluidity when you don't fight... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh sure...it looses FPS on any system but not seriously so on the faster ones. You are right that FPS loss occurs the most inside of the cloud. I also have noticed that loss also occurs if you narrow your viewing angle...wide angle seems to actually be faster.

I get a FPS hit but not a serious one. I really, really, really like the new clouds looks and their function.

Viper2005_
12-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Well I'm running a BFG 6600GT, I've got a gig of DDR400 and an athlon 3200+. My system may not be brand new, but it's not exactly slow. Usually I get a steady 60 fps (limited by my TFT's refresh rate of 60 Hz).

The fps loss inside the new clouds is a real problem because online it will cause lag and stutters - there is no way for dogfight servers to prevent people with slower systems joining.

If the fps loss could be fixed they'd be great. Otherwise they're a dead end except for offline play until everybody gets new rigs IMO.