PDA

View Full Version : Best settings fro Radeon 9700 non-pro..?

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:08 PM
I seem to be in a minority in that my fps have gone down afte the patch. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I'm trying to tweak the game, but suck at computers. Any 9700 owners out there who have found the best settings? (I also run Athlon 2200+ and 712 MB RAM)

Also, there is something strange with my ground textures (due, no doubt, to my imperfect settings.) It is kinda hard to explain, and since I have an ATI card I can't do screenshots (D'OH). But I'll try:

Ok, I'm sitting on the runway. Right below my plane the ground texture is nice and crisp. Then 20-30 meters ahead of my plane there is a sudden shift to a more blurred texture. It's no biggie, but it affects roads and railroads also. I just flew an IL2 mission where I had to blow up a train. Well I had to practically fly on top of the tracks to see them clearly. Just a hundred meters ahead of my viewpoint the tracks were so blurred they were hardly visible!

I know I had this problem before. I'm also quite sure that I found a remedy. I just can't find it now. Help please. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

(All my graphics are maxed out (except for no "perfect") and I run 1600x1200.)

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak
That don't impress me much

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:08 PM
I seem to be in a minority in that my fps have gone down afte the patch. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I'm trying to tweak the game, but suck at computers. Any 9700 owners out there who have found the best settings? (I also run Athlon 2200+ and 712 MB RAM)

Also, there is something strange with my ground textures (due, no doubt, to my imperfect settings.) It is kinda hard to explain, and since I have an ATI card I can't do screenshots (D'OH). But I'll try:

Ok, I'm sitting on the runway. Right below my plane the ground texture is nice and crisp. Then 20-30 meters ahead of my plane there is a sudden shift to a more blurred texture. It's no biggie, but it affects roads and railroads also. I just flew an IL2 mission where I had to blow up a train. Well I had to practically fly on top of the tracks to see them clearly. Just a hundred meters ahead of my viewpoint the tracks were so blurred they were hardly visible!

I know I had this problem before. I'm also quite sure that I found a remedy. I just can't find it now. Help please. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

(All my graphics are maxed out (except for no "perfect") and I run 1600x1200.)

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Shameless bump...

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 07:02 AM
DirectX or OpenGL?

hmmm. Do you have your FB Visibility Distance at max?

You probably do, but that's all I can think of now. I have been thinking of getting the non~Pro myself. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

If you'd like, you can post your "conf" file from your basic FB folder here, at the ubi.com, or at least the part listed under [DirectX] or [OpenGL] as the case may be.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:08 AM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- DirectX or OpenGL?
-
- hmmm. Do you have your FB Visibility Distance at
- max?

Yep. I can see buildings popping up way, way in the distance (I'm not sure, but it seems greater distance than pre-patch...?). It's so weird. I'll fly alongside a paved road. In the distance the road will be "dirt road" coloured, but as I fly alongside it, it seems to continously "fill up" with dark asphalt, a short distance ahead of my aircraft.

That's not really a ahowstopper gamewise, though it looks odd. It's a greater problem that railway tracks are invisible until you are _right_ on top of them. They just blur out of sight literally a hundred meters ahead of me.

- If you'd like, you can post your "conf" file from
- your basic FB folder here, at the ubi.com, or at
- least the part listed under [DirectX] or [OpenGL] as
- the case may be.

Ok, I will do that as soon as I get home from work.

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:29 AM
That texture transformation is from the texture mip-map filtering, go to trilinear (anisoteropic is too heavy IMO) and make sure you're using 32bit colour.

I believe setting it to default Radeon settings should work, but if it helps here's a copy and paste from my conf.ini, I'm using 1024x768x32 + 4xFSAA, excellent settings:

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=15

<hr width="400">Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and have their
shoes!
http://members.rogers.com/teemaz/sig.jpg (http://www.jagdgeschwader1.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:33 AM
I am fairly certain that I am running trilinear (tried both setting it manually, and using the default 9700 setting), to no avail. I _have_ been running 16 bit colour, with dither. That might be the culprit. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks!

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

Message Edited on 08/14/0307:34AM by joques

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Jetbuff,

I tried your config settings now. I tried cleaning my system from all drivers and installing the freshest ATI drivers (3.6) from scratch. I tried setting trilinear filtering manually, and I tried using the default 9700 setting. I even tried Perfect setting though it gave me artifacts galore (funny thing: "perfect" gave me sometimes better fps in Black Death than "excellent", but I got some really psychedelic effects...).

I still get the blurred ground textures. When I take off from an airfield it's like "blocks" of blurred textures coming at me... Very annoying.

Something is definitely fishy in the state of Denmark, and I am at a loss to figure it out. Any other hints?

Here is my original config:

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

(...)

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=1
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=15

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:42 PM
try unchecking polygon stipple, you shoudn't need it if you have buffer stencil enabled.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Have done so already. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:59 PM
joques, I have a 9700 non-pro and I just got the patch in last night. I am using cat 3.4 drivers and i'm sure that's all you ought to be using too, as anything higher until the next release from ATI (3.7) is going to have problems according the patch read-me as far as I know.

You should deffo be using 32 bit color, and of course OpenGL.

I had to switch back to 9700 default setting to get my perfect setting to work, but work they did. I do notice trees popping up in the far distance but otherwise it looks good. I have fading sounds sometimes, but that's another story.

So set the default setting, go to 32 bit colour, and get the 3.4 drivers, and see how it goes. Drop your res if needs be (i'm on 1024 X 768), and I'm using 4xAA 4xAF in the OpenGL settings of my card.

Hope that helps /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Image IQ is reportedly higher on the Omega Catalysts. That's what I'm using. (2.4.74a) Do you have any texture compression set? Mine's set to none.

<hr width="400">Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and have their
shoes!
http://members.rogers.com/teemaz/sig.jpg (http://www.jagdgeschwader1.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Jetbuff wrote:
- Image IQ is reportedly higher on the Omega
- Catalysts. That's what I'm using. (2.4.74a) Do you
- have any texture compression set? Mine's set to
- none.

I have tried with and without texture compression. No difference to either image quality or fps. I tried ansi filtering, and got a massive improvement, but also a framerate hit. There is no obvious difference between bilinear and trilinear on my rig, leading me to believe that trilinear may not be "working properly".

If I can't solve this problem, I'll probably go with ansi and reduce other graphics options.

I appreciate all the help I've got so far.

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak