PDA

View Full Version : Puter Woe

leitmotiv
08-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I pulled the plug on my PC because we were going to have a power shut-off for several hours and I didn't want to risk any surge damage. When I tried to start it after the shut-off, it wouldn't start. Every other electrical device was fine. This happened the last time I disconnected it, but I was able to restart it, but can't recall what I did. Any ideas?

Waldo.Pepper
08-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Hold the power switch down (count to at least six) Let go, then restart as normal.

Worth a try.

GreyFox5
08-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Did you leave your computer running all the time? Did your power supply stay in a standby mode? If so when the machine was turned off it cooled down and it could mean you had a bad circuit board in the power supply. Or the mainboard is bad. Once the board cools down the connection is broken on the board. So that could be the issue. Pray its the power supply.

Good luck M8

leitmotiv
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I think that's what I did last time---will try, Waldo.

No, GreyFox, it was shut off before I pulled the plug. I hope it isn't a calamity, damn!

leitmotiv
08-17-2007, 10:55 PM
No dice. Holding in the button didn't do it. AGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

triad773
08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Well... if all else failed, do what I did on my last dead WinBlows OS; take the HD out, stick it in another puter' as a slave ( see the pin settings in back if an ATA and you have likewise compatible computer,) and save off your docs, IL-2 skins, missions, app' data (address book, bookmarks, etc)). I am TERRIBLE bout' backing up stuff.

Worked for me a few months ago with a bad mainboard in a lap top- good luck.

<CAVEAT: I did have a USB HD for the laptop, but I've saved a few Desktop hard drives using the same method/CAVEAT>

Triad

Waldo.Pepper
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Bugger.

If there is a power switch on the back of the system unit (where the power supply is located) switch it off for a few minutes then back on and then do the on/off 6 second switch thing again.

Could just be static electricity ... fingers crossed.

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 01:15 AM
No dice. Well, this #@@!!!%%!!@@!!! PC has been nothing but grief since I bought it 3 years ago. I'm going to get a powerful Intel Apple when BOBSOW is released, and never use a ##@@!!%%##@!!! PC again. I use a MacBook Pro for everything but games---may as well be Apple all the way. Thanks for the help!

msalama
08-18-2007, 03:12 AM
How about opening up the PSU (power supply unit) and checking the internal fuse? They sometimes fail even when they're not overloaded, f.ex. in situations where the current flowing trough them suddendly goes to zero (i.e. you switch the computer off). And how about digging up a voltmeter and checking if the sorry-a** bugger is showing any voltage at all?

Or just go and buy a new one, they're pretty cheap http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
08-18-2007, 03:17 AM
I had this just the other day.

COuld be the fuse in the kettle lead plug (main power lead).

The lead could be nackered.

COUld be the fuse in the power supply or the motherboard.

I simply moved the computer downstairs to fix it and it came on! MOved it back up and all was well. Not sure what was going on there.

CHeck the main power lead onto the motherboard has not worked itself loose also. (pull it off and push it back on)

rockgardenlove
08-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Yeah, try that fuse. It blew on me once for no reason. Spent a bit freaking out, then ah figgered it out.

raaaid
08-18-2007, 05:29 AM
when this happens to me i unplug the pc and plug it again

always worked so far

Jediteo
08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I have the same problem with my old computer sometimes, I use the jumper switches to reset the CMOS memory. This enable the computer to start the boot routines. Look around the motherboard manual about it

Just a thought..

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I'll have to drag the sorry *** %%##@@!!!!%%#!!! to a puter repair shop. I've only been using computers three years and I have no skill in electronics. Thanks for the all the advice gents. Looks like no aerial diversions for me for awhile. ARGH!

BrotherVoodoo
08-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Posted Sat August 18 2007 07:04 Hide Post
I have the same problem with my old computer sometimes, I use the jumper switches to reset the CMOS memory. This enable the computer to start the boot routines. Look around the motherboard manual about it

Just a thought..

Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary does

This has saved my bacon more than a few times, give it a shot.

Morteiin
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm no expert, but could it be a flat motherboard battery? When you switch your computer off at the wall the motherboard battery kicks in to keep some of it's vital settings from disappearing. I'd try replacing that little battery before taking it to be repaired.

Les.

DrHerb
08-18-2007, 11:34 AM
same thing happened to me, i replaced the power cable and voila worked like a charm, sometimes its the simplest answers work, give it a shot

horseback
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
leitmotiv, check your PMs. I believe we both live in the San Diego area, and if so, I can (probably) help.

cheers

horseback

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks, DrHerb, tried.

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Alas, I am about 400 miles north, horseback!

willyvic
08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Are you using a power strip or surge protector? If so, bypass the unit(s) and plug directly into the outlet. You have verified that the outlet is still hot?

Open up the side of your case if you cannot see through it and check if you can see a light on the motherboard.

You up in Northern Calif then?

WV

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes to strip and N Cal, willyvic. I'll try your suggestions later in the eve. Many thanks.

Waldo.Pepper
08-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Are you using a power strip or surge protector? If so, bypass the unit(s) and plug directly into the outlet. You have verified that the outlet is still hot?

That sounds like a winner to me.

leitmotiv
08-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Hope it works. First withdrawal symptoms from flight sims appearing: irritability, crankiness, desire to release a pit bull in a cat show.

Feathered_IV
08-19-2007, 05:17 AM
*Fingers crossed*

leitmotiv
08-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Alas, no dice. The beast goes to the repairman, and I now have the ice cold shakes due to flight sim withdrawal. O the huge manatee!

leitmotiv
08-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Ah ha. There is a small green light shining at the back. Have no idea to what it is attached. So, power is getting to the thing, but it won't start for love or money.

triad773
08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Green light: likely your network interface card!

So there is life in the beast- just a matter of finding out how to get it going. Things like the CMOS may be the trick-- that or perhaps just a dead hard drive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif Perhaps test it in another similar rig using the methode I prescribed in my last post in this thread.

Good luck-

Triad

leitmotiv
08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Triad. It's going to the shop tomorrow. My tech skills cease at opening the door of the case!

willyvic
08-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Any news leitmotiv? What was the culprit?

WV

leitmotiv
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
I have been too busy to get the dratted thing to the shop. Meanwhile, I am in rehab with Lindsay Lohan for flight sim withdrawal. Yesterday I spaced out, thought my car was a P-47, and tried to put rockets into a passing train. My lawyer thinks he may get me off with 120 days and 2 years probation.

JimmyBlonde
08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I have been too busy to get the dratted thing to the shop. Meanwhile, I am in rehab with Lindsay Lohan for flight sim withdrawal. Yesterday I spaced out, thought my car was a P-47, and tried to put rockets into a passing train. My lawyer thinks he may get me off with 120 days and 2 years probation.

You would only be up for 1&1/2 if you hallucinated a Spit.

NAFP_supah
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Well even if your HDD is broken it will still powerup and begin booting, it will just **** out at loading windows. Seeing how it isn't doing anything I think the problem might be:

1. Defective PSU (power supply).
2. CMOS chip on the fritz.
3. Motherboard failure.

AFAIK it will still power up with a empty CMOS battery but it will forget its settings each time like the time and you're PCI settings etc. hence it might have trouble booting.

You could try swapping out the PSU for another one but if you aren't that handy with PC's then it's probably better to take it to the shop. I would encourage you to learn to install PC parts yourself, it's really doable as its all plug and pray and it can really save on cost and downtime http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Plus building your own PC you know exactly what's in it and it is often easier to fix it if something goes wrong. Plus it impresses the chicks! (wishfull thinking but still) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

leitmotiv
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
My handiness with electronics ends at screwing in light bulbs. At my age, I'll defer to the experts. All the wimmin I know are only impressed by linguistic skills!