PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is this Starforce?

Vacillator
08-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Blue screens for no reason.
Computer trying to boot up on an empty DVD drive.
Windows Media Player crashing every half hour or so.
Unhandled exceptions (read crash to desktop!) in other programs.

Sounds like it might be Starforce? I recently got given a copy of Rise&Fall and didn't realise but I think it's blighted with Starforce http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions? If so, what to do? Remove as per one or two sites I've seen, but presumably this means no more Rise&Fall?

Thnaks for any help or advice.

MadRuski
08-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Hmm..did this start to happen after u installed the game?..because it sounds similiar to a nasty virus that i once got.

Tully__
08-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Starforce generally causes only DVD/CD drive read/write errors (if any problems), but all the other stuff is unlikely to be Starforce unless you can establish that those events were triggered by removable media drive problems. Perhaps a forum that regularly deals with SF might be a better place to ask...

Edit: Might be a good idea to do a thorough virus/spyware scan too, MadRusski has a very valid point. Also other totally unrelated OS file corruptions could cause the same set of errors.

jjtasker
08-19-2006, 05:48 AM
I installed Starforce with flaming cliffs... I played for a while and shut down. When I rebooted a couple hours later my CD R was not recognized.. It was there under device manager but was unresponsive.. damn drive bay would not even open. I Had to remove it and then reboot to get access back. Then I played the game and the same thing happened. The second time the CD R failed to respond even after the elaborate removeal/fix that the Starforce people finally put out. I use the Flaming Cliffs CD as a coaster now and will never purchase or install ANYTHING if it has that type of software on it.

JG53Harti
08-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Rise&Fall use SF as copyprotection

Vacillator
08-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Thnaks guys.

Just checked in Device MAnager / Show Hidden Devices and I have 6 listings of Starforce this&that!

Yes it started when I installed Rise&Fall. I have MCAfee VirsuScan, Windows Defender, Spybot S+D, Adaware and Spywareblaster all up to date and running either in the background or frequent scans.

Methinks it's Starforce but I hear what you say Tully, it could be something else. As you suggest I'll head off elsewhere for more info, it's just that here is usually the best place for a quick response about most things to do with computers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Thanks again chaps. A final thought is that Silent Hunter III has Starforce does it not? I wanted to get that but if it's going to cause the same problems...

Tully__
08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
A final thought is that Silent Hunter III has Starforce does it not?
Yes, though it has caused no issues on my PC.

TheGozr
08-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I have MCAfee VirsuScan, Windows Defender, Spybot S+D, Adaware and Spywareblaster all up to date and running either in the background or frequent scans

Goodness .. lagg wanted sign here ...Must be tough to run PF like this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vocatx
08-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Actually, I run Norton's Internet Suite and E-Trust Pest Patrol together ALL the time, and have zero problems with lag. I do have a fairly stout CPU (AMD 3500+). I guess if you are a little short in the CPU department it would cause problems, but I would much rather do as much as I can to protect my computer than take a chance on losing it to a virus. I've got too much money tied up in it to chance it.

Vacillator
08-20-2006, 05:17 AM
It's a good point you're making Gozr and I might be suffering slightly as I have a meagre AMD2600+. Still I tend to follow the doctrine vocatx describes due to one or two 'unsavoury invasions' in the past.
Thanks for the advice though, might re-consider exactly what is required as some are probably doing exactly the same job...

On the Starforce front, it's very odd but since I posted here I haven't had any of the problems I described above! Having said that I haven't run Rise&Fall (only PF http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) but Starforce is still doing it's thing presumably. No doubt the problems will return but fingers crossed.