10-24-2003, 05:07 PM
angle of approach to touchdown -- when to apply flaps

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:07 PM
angle of approach to touchdown -- when to apply flaps

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:30 PM
depends on speed/ distance to field.

Try the track recording feature. You can play-back your attempts using "external views" to get an idea of what you are doing wrong.

You can also try flying online and asking someone to coach you.

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

Caliber25th
10-24-2003, 05:37 PM
You shouldn't really use flaps unless its absolutely nessesary. If you're landing path starts from a far distance, then just lower your power,thats all you'll really need. However if you're doing a combat landing and you're very close to the base, put down your flaps, lower power, and attempt to land. But of course if your speed is dropping too rapidly you must put up your power again or you'll stall.

<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/caliber.jpg (http://www.vfa25.com)
</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Caliber25th wrote:
- You shouldn't really use flaps unless its absolutely
- nessesary. If you're landing path starts from a far
- distance, then just lower your power,thats all
- you'll really need.

D'uh! Where did you learn to fly?

I'd never join a club that would have ME as a member!!.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Me and Baldie are being the helpful guys today /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif .
You'll get the hang of it. Personally, I do use the flaps in addition to reducing throttle. But don't drop flaps or gear unless you have bled off some speed. Otherwise, both could be ripped off the plane. Get down to around 300km/h or lower before deploying either just to be safe. Use throttle adjustments to keep your glide right.

Took me awhile but now if I'm not hurried I can put 109s down at near three-point attitudes, nice and smooth. You will too. Just takes practice. And luckily it's all virtual so you won't get in trouble for pancaking a bunch of planes learning /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:54 PM
LilHorse wrote:
- Me and Baldie are being the helpful guys today...

Listen to the man - he speaks the truth.

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/ex1_soon.jpg
<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 05:56 PM
I use different tactics for different landing situations.

For normal landings, I always attempt to line up the runway and start reducing Prop Pitch % and throttle to slow down and let the engine revs and air speed drop off. Then, when the speed is below 300km/h, I start applying flaps in increments. Combat, then Take-off flaps and/or Landing flaps. I usually touch down at <150 and brake to a stop.

For fast landings, I'll drop prop pitch and throttle to zero, and then use increments of flaps and alternating, sharp 90? turns left and right to bleed speed faster. On a fast landing, I'll put her down at any speed below 250km/h and work the flaps, rudder and brakes to bring her to a controlled stop.

For damaged landings, it depends on the damage, but if I have extensive wing damage that will stall under certain speeds, I'll belly it in and bail after landing.

Generally speaking, if you are landing with extensive damage and you don't bail after landing, you'll get 10%, instead of 70% for crash-landing. For scoring purposes, it doesn't matter if you put down a damaged plane on it's wheels or on it's belly. As long as you can walk away, you'll get the 70%. Air bails from damaged plane = 50%.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 06:05 PM
ELEM wrote:
-
- Caliber25th wrote:
-- You shouldn't really use flaps unless its absolutely
-- nessesary. If you're landing path starts from a far
-- distance, then just lower your power,thats all
-- you'll really need.
-
- D'uh! Where did you learn to fly?

Heh, in real life I usually use flaps when landing, slowing down my approach-speed really helps when conducting short-field landings and you don't overstress the aircraft (wheels etc.). On the other hand, smaller aircrafts have no problems at all landing without the use of flaps.

For larger aircrafts.... I don't think it's funny trying to land without the use of flaps.

But in this sim, there's absolutely no problem in landing as you wish since you don't have to answer to a mechanic afterwards.

rgds

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 06:53 PM
In real life small plane flying, I always use flaps when landing. Even in a gusty croswind, I'll still use 10%. If conditions were extremely bad I might not use any at all but it would have to be really bad. The airport where I rent planes is only a 2,500ft. grass strip. Fast landing speed is not a good thing there.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 07:02 PM
I've found that flaps help stabilize the plane quite a bit at low speeds, especially if you have battle damage.

My advice is line up on the runway from as far out as you can see it, get your speed down to about 200 kph and start to deploy flaps. You should be able to safely drop your speed to 170 or even lower at full flaps (depends on aircraft). Gradually lose altitude so that it looks like you will touch down on the runway about 1/3 of the way down the runway. Try to pull your nose up just before you touch down if you can.

Whatever you do, don't force the landing! If it looks like you won't make it, go to full throttle, raise your gear and flaps and go around.

All of this takes practice, practice, practice.

Once you can land with full flaps at low speed you can try some landings at higher speeds, steep or poor angle approaches or flap settings other than full.

Don't let anyone intimidate you or make you think landings are easy, Landings are very hard when you first start this game. It took me a long time to get comfortable landing.

A nice plane to practice landings is the IL-2 series 1 or 2. Very stable in flight, good low speed handling and wide landing gear (as compared to the 109).

Good luck and have fun.

Zeus-cat

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 11:22 PM
For me it was practice.

When I first started it didn't matter if I was lined up for 10 miles and coming in nice and slow, I would create a crater everytime. Now I can come in at a steep angle and level off just as I land at most speeds. Which is nice :-)

I still use flaps and reduce throttle down to about 40%, enough to avoid any holes, with plenty if I have to go around. Again it really is practice and more practice.

Although tonight my wife decided to kiss me just as I was landing, no practice can prepare you for that type of pain, er I mean distraction. Lost all my points :-(

Cpt-Madcowz
Comsa (http://www.comsa.co.uk)

"When the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the deer."

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 01:17 AM
thanks all - quit using flaps when lined up and improved greatly - now on to more difficult approaches

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 01:38 AM
Cpt-Madcowz wrote:
-
- Although tonight my wife decided to kiss me just as
- I was landing, no practice can prepare you for that
- type of pain, er I mean distraction. Lost all my

That's why you don't talk/distract the pilot on take-off or landing..... Or if he's sweating becourse the fan stopped turning/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rgds