PDA

View Full Version : Just bought PF

dbuff
11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Just got PF yesterday. Installed over IL2/FB/Aces and then loaded all patches.
Its beautiful....

Thanks for whoever made the "Moby D ick" skin of "Jolly Rogers" fame for the B-24. That was my grandfathers unit in PTO. He is coming over this weekend. I think he will apprciate that people still remember.... I also think he will be amazed as well...

SuperFudd
11-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I am looking forward to reading of your father's reaction.

dbuff
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
will do - he may not think its that big of a deal or he may have soemthing else to say, at 85 i dont know how he will take to flying with a keyboard and stick. we'll see.

VW-IceFire
11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dbuff:
will do - he may not think its that big of a deal or he may have soemthing else to say, at 85 i dont know how he will take to flying with a keyboard and stick. we'll see.
You may or may not be surprised. I was...I showed this to a great uncle of mine who was a RCAF pilot during the war...he was very impressed with what was possible.

But at the age of 80 he's one of those rare technophiles so its not surprising either.

dbuff
11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Anyone got a good mission with B-24's in it?

He comes over tomorrow - I dont know how to really use the FMB and i have no time left to learn. He barely ever comes to my house, so i am trying to get done quik. Desperate here!

If i can be bold, do you have one for PTO since that where he flew.

BTW - Mines no techofile for sure.

Bearcat99
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Try to get a joystick man..... Welcome aboard. I am curious.. what kind of rig are you running this on.

dbuff
11-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Try to get a joystick man..... Welcome aboard. I am curious.. what kind of rig are you running this on.

I have joystick. I meant he have difficulties managing flaps, gear, etc with keyboard. He is not a computer person. Computer set up is Pentium 2.6, 512 ram, 9500pro, and SB Audigy. I have been flying il2 since 2002.

Superfudd - This is my grandfather and great grandfather to my 2 kids. My dad is only 58!

Anyway. He was in PTO from mid 1942 till 1945. He said back then he had wanted to be in based Europe
and didnt like being out on the islands very much.

He liked seeing the planes, it kinda woke up some memories. He spoke of the p40's and p39's they started out with and how he remembered seeing the p-51's for the first time. He recalled nuisance raids where the japanese would send in a handful of planes almost nightly just to keep enveryone on edge. He recalled one surprise airstrike on his base where about 100 japanese planes attacked. He comments that he got himself in a foxhole and tried to fit his whole body inside of his helmet.

Mostly we flew american planes in formation with the b-24's in the QMB and no enemies in the air .He apprecaited the "jolly rogers" skin someone made. He also really loved the detail of the cockpits of the planes and he really wanted to see the interiors of the b-24's!

Now here was the not so great part.We did QMB where fighters and b-24's bombed an airfield. There were enemy planes and flak. He got a little quiet when the flak started going off he then he seemed too uncomfortable uncomfortable when planes (enemy or friendly) were shot down.

It was good idea to stop then. After we shut it down, with a he was telling me of the friends he left behind and how they were so young. The missions where the planes just didnt come back.
I noticed his eyes get a little teary.

So in summary, he like the planes and all. The fighting part was not for him as it brought back some sad memories for him.

Dumbo_AK32nd
11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by dbuff:
After we shut it down, with a he was telling me of the friends he left behind and how they were so young. The missions where the planes just didnt come back.
I noticed his eyes get a little teary.

May we never forget the sacrifices that your grandfather and his generation made for ALL of us.

We're in his debt.

Salute!

Pig_Mac
11-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Just shamelessly adding my vote for cockpit in the b24 too!

b24, and other bomberpilots, have my sympathy!

Bearcat99
11-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Ahhhh! rgr!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
That is great that he is checking this out!
I wish we could get more veterans to actually fly this thing and tell us what they think.

99th Obsidian
11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
When my Dad got a new PC I loaded up my copy of MS Combat Flight Sim 2 and gave him my old stick. He's seen me fly before and he's interested in learning to fly so I thought it would be neat for him to dabble in flight sims first. He's a WWII vet and was stationed at Wewak Island in the PTO.

I fly Pacific Fighters but CFSII has a bigger PTO map. I showed him how he could pick Wewak Island to take off from and he was intrigued. He chose a P-38 since he serviced them on the island. We took a quick flight and he thought it was "neat". I don't know if he'll get into sims but he appreciates that I have a active interest in "his war" and that I fly online with a squad dedicted to Airmen (his deceased brother was an Tuskegee Airmen). I need to have him over to my house and watch the squad fly some Pacific missions. He thinks its novel that our squad flys non-historic Pacific missions since there were no African American fighter pilots in the PTO.

Stackhouse25th
11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey buddy, give our squadron a look! We'll turn you tip top in no time!

S!

http://www.VFA25.com

Hope 2 hear

carguy_
11-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Aaaaw ****,just ask him few things,we don`t have many veterans left!!!Record his memories or somethin!!