PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually know for sure if radar atracts enemies in the game...

ton500K-SAN
04-27-2005, 11:44 AM
now this thread lasts...every other day i see this radar thread...i would like to ask the makers if i knew one...but i am tired of these speculations...so does anyone know for sure how do the enemies react to your radar ON if at all...my friend is in the 1943 (100%realism) and doesnt bother at all having the radar ON at all times...and others come with horror stories getting chased...enlighten me!

quillan
04-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, a couple of nights ago I was cruising along in heavy rain and fog, with my radar on. I had the FuMO30 so I have full 360 degree coverage. The radioman calls out a radar contact about 4-5km away. It's a destroyer, heading in a totally different direction. Right after I picked it up on radar, it turned and headed directly for me. Since it was a course change of over 90 degrees, it probably wasn't really a random thing. Either it had radar too and picked me up at the same time, or it picked up my radar and went to investigate. My radar detector never went off.

lowdown762n2003
04-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes as I stated earlier, on a different thread, I've had DD's head straight for me. One was even headed right down my plotted course and staight to my bow. However I haven't noticed enough of that to even worry about. The one that was headed straight at my bow commited suicide before I could even see him. Radar showed him but not visually yet.
I've never had the radar detector detect anything. So I use it on the bridge as a coaster for my coffee.

Bubblehead1948
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gifIt had better. Radar detection from and to u-boats was a key factor in the devestating boat losses of 1943 & 44. Radar detection by specialized aircraft was particularly nasty because they would come down on the boat suddenly at night before anyone realized it was there, and straddle it with a stick of bombs.

mightyduck100
04-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Using active radar is like using active sonar.

As well as locating whats around you you are advertising your presence to other radio receivers. The receivers on the DD pick up your radar transmission and its location at the same time you pick them up.

Passive radars employs only receivers and no transmitters so you will only get signals from nearby active radio transmitters.