PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Bowden I am dissapointed(spoilers) TSC

Pitalla
08-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Even tough I respect every writer(Even tough I dont like his prose) I must admit that he has crossed the line.
His new book the secret crusade seems like a fan fiction to me, repeating formulas that he did on his previous works.

I think that what bothered me the most was killing Maria and Malik. I mean seriously? Killing Cristina in your past book wasn't enough?

Couldnt you have created your own assasin's and stuff so you wouldnt mess with AC game toy box? That's what other authors do and they end up expanding the universe and not upsetting nor tying knots.

Why tying knots? For all I know Altair's life after AC could had been another game. Use this for example:

You start as the older kid of Altair and Marias, you grow up as an assasin raised by kickass parents and you go from being a noob to the master assasin.

Now this seems highly improbable now, considering how many knots you have tied now. The only solution I see is if your book was only taken as an entertaining piece rather than THE CANON. Or simply not taken as Canon.

I am sad, very very sad.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif, frustrated and irritated.

ProletariatPleb
08-18-2011, 12:07 AM
But Cristina did die in the game too... ._.

I only disliked the 'emotions' he showed that Alta´r had for his targets...

Pitalla
08-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by sidspyker24:
But Cristina did die in the game too... ._.

I only disliked the 'emotions' he showed that Alta´r had for his targets...

First he killed her on the book of AC2 before ACB was even planned. He killed her in a cheap way of Machiavelli only casually mentioning it to Ezio. What you saw in ACB was a done by the scriptwriter of brotherhood. So yeah Oliver CANT take the credit for it, except that of killing her in a less dramatically way.

Pitalla
08-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I really hope Ubisoft takes this comment into account because this is just horrible.

There are 3 kinds of Author's out there

Knot Tiers, Expanders and Continuers.

Expanders: Make their own part on the universe (like the AC Comics in this case) to play with. They end up expanding the material with cool new toys, ideas and even concepts!

Continuers: Sometimes they have more or less imagination that the original author. But they set new adventures and scenarios for our characters to explore and develop. In this Area Ubisoft Montreal would enter, for they deliver the AC games and the sequels.

And finally we ve got the
Knot Tiers:
They only dedicate to close doors and take the main toys and brake them so no one else gets to play with them. Guess who enters here? the books of Oliver Bowden...

Dear Ubisoft, if you guys would like a book for your game then at least get someone that is not a Knot Tier.
If you guys told him to write those things, then please dont screw it up and go on the same formula over again. In this case closing the doors for a new possible game. Where you are an actual assasin in the medieval times with the upgrades of the new AC games.

Revelations does not count, even tough it is not out yet.

twenty_glyphs
08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
You should probably be mad at Ubisoft for approving Bowden's outlines and manuscripts then, because you can bet he's not doing anything without their sign-off. Do you really think they are just letting him come in and kill off characters and keep themselves from using those characters in other games? Besides that, if Ubisoft really wanted to use any of those characters again, all they have to do is ignore the book and have the canon event happen in their game. I don't see how you're complaining that the writer of the novel adaptation of the game isn't creating stories in his own area of the universe when his job is to adapt the stories from the games, and he works closely with the writers of those games as well. I'm pretty sure you will find events from The Secret Crusade mentioned or alluded to in Revelations, and it won't be because Bowden forced them into using those stories.

Calvarok
08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
I like Halo's fiction because their books aren't adaptations of the games (except for the second book, which is a halo 1 adaptation) but they tell new stories in, around, before, or after the story of the games, with many different characters.

I was dissapointed when I found out that Assassin's Creed, of all brands, doesn't do that. There is so much history to be discovered. That said, I liked the Secret Crusade, and I thought that the killing offs were well done, and served as the catalyst that put Altair on the path to creating a great order, and learning from the apple.

ProletariatPleb
08-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Pitalla:
I really hope Ubisoft takes this comment into account because this is just horrible.

There are 3 kinds of Author's out there

Knot Tiers, Expanders and Continuers.

Expanders: Make their own part on the universe (like the AC Comics in this case) to play with. They end up expanding the material with cool new toys, ideas and even concepts!

Continuers: Sometimes they have more or less imagination that the original author. But they set new adventures and scenarios for our characters to explore and develop. In this Area Ubisoft Montreal would enter, for they deliver the AC games and the sequels.

And finally we ve got the
Knot Tiers:
They only dedicate to close doors and take the main toys and brake them so no one else gets to play with them. Guess who enters here? the books of Oliver Bowden...

Dear Ubisoft, if you guys would like a book for your game then at least get someone that is not a Knot Tier.
If you guys told him to write those things, then please dont screw it up and go on the same formula over again. In this case closing the doors for a new possible game. Where you are an actual assasin in the medieval times with the upgrades of the new AC games.

Revelations does not count, even tough it is not out yet.

And you know all about ubi's planning?

Will_Lucky
08-18-2011, 03:59 AM
Odds are what you have read will make up Altairs memory sequences in Revelations.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
I like Halo's fiction because their books aren't adaptations of the games (except for the second book, which is a halo 1 adaptation) but they tell new stories in, around, before, or after the story of the games, with many different characters.

I was dissapointed when I found out that Assassin's Creed, of all brands, doesn't do that. There is so much history to be discovered. That said, I liked the Secret Crusade, and I thought that the killing offs were well done, and served as the catalyst that put Altair on the path to creating a great order, and learning from the apple.
I agree. I also really enjoyed the Halo novels and The Flood was still very enlightening since the writer wrote about things that weren't in the game and he wrote parts from the Covenant's perspective.

ShaneO7K
08-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

I agree. I also really enjoyed the Halo novels and The Flood was still very enlightening since the writer wrote about things that weren't in the game and he wrote parts from the Covenant's perspective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I have to agree that those novels where great and just gave the Halo universe a much deeper story.

343i keep a real close eye on what is being wrote and if conflicts with existing canon, and make sure it makes sense and actually builds on the story.

Ubisoft really give a little too much freedom to write whatever they want, which in some cases can be a bad thing.

Pitalla
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Death's where well done? Does every AC need to be tragic? this is super repetitive and had no need.

Malik dies in a lame way, he should had passed in action. And Maria, her death was super lame and I saw no reason for it. She should had died of old age at her husband's side. At least that is the picture I got from AC 2 from Altair's codex.

I really blame Ubisoft for letting so much freedom at this, at least the game is not completed yet. I wish they don't use the book as a source, cause if they do then what is the point of giving away all the story before the game it's actually released?

The Great Order was already in motion or done before finding the apple, the apple would had just accelerated the process. In my view they are just retelling the same thing over again but with their ''dramatic formula'' again. Altair was already in motion, he was wise enough to do it at the time. So this events were not necessary at all.

They should use other game books out there as an example, like the Halo books. At least not all game companies accept the novelization book as the canon source, just as a novelization.

Ubi please, don't screw this up. And I cant belive how lame the children of Altair turned out. I was expecting something amazing, like the codex of AC 2 pictured it for us.

twenty_glyphs
08-18-2011, 09:18 AM
@Pitalla: You're missing the point. Ubisoft is not using the books as a source, they are basically creating the story outlines for them. The writer then goes off and writes the book based on Ubisoft's direction, their conversations, and some of his own ideas. The Assassin's Creed production manager said on Twitter that their writing team worked very closely with Oliver Bowden on creating The Secret Crusade. The writer of Revelations said in an interview last month that Alta´r's story arc has been mapped out for 2 years. The AC team likely decided they wanted to tell certain key moments from Alta´r's story in Revelations, and let some of the other details be told in The Secret Crusade. There is a brand team on Assassin's Creed that filters and approves all of the AC story elements, so if you want to blame anyone it should be them.

Drakonous505
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree with this... If you're going to base a book on a game series you may as well stick to the plot or don't bother writing it at all... I got the Brotherhood book for Christmas and I couldn't even get through the damn prologue it was so out of canon...

LightRey
08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't mind the books per se. I just hate it when people use it as a source, because it's extremely unreliable.

LeapofFaith33
08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
woow! where is all this hate coming from? I really loved TSC! I thought it was well written except for the death of maria cause i went back and was like " wait, how did she die?" Anyways i really loved it, i never played the non xbox/ps3 console games so it was really cool to see altair's story continue.
I especially loved the way that Sef died and was super relieved that Darim did not die. Malik's death while sad and cruel was predictable at the second before you read it! I dont know why there is so much hate but i really found this to be a page turner!

Pitalla
08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
@Pitalla: You're missing the point. Ubisoft is not using the books as a source, they are basically creating the story outlines for them. The writer then goes off and writes the book based on Ubisoft's direction, their conversations, and some of his own ideas. The Assassin's Creed production manager said on Twitter that their writing team worked very closely with Oliver Bowden on creating The Secret Crusade. The writer of Revelations said in an interview last month that Alta´r's story arc has been mapped out for 2 years. The AC team likely decided they wanted to tell certain key moments from Alta´r's story in Revelations, and let some of the other details be told in The Secret Crusade. There is a brand team on Assassin's Creed that filters and approves all of the AC story elements, so if you want to blame anyone it should be them.

Then how come that brotherhood book was so out of canon? They are giving too much freedom to the writers And even if they planned it then it sucks, they should change it in the game. Maria should die of old age because her death was stupid and cheap. And Malik should die out in action.

Heck I am pretty ****ed off because this guy closed the doors for a future AC where you are Altair's kid and get to use his armor and stuff in the medieval ages. Fighting the Mongols and trying to kill Gnghis Khan and stuff.

If Ubi is smart, they wont go trough Bowden's path. And I really hope they dont.

Jexx21
08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
If they were smart, they would go down their own path. And guess what, they are going down their own path.

Also, the books aren't supposed to be a 100% accurate vision of everything. The explanation for them not being the same as the games is probably that they are written by people inside the game world. Like Biographies.

But, Ubisoft has said themselves that the books are canon representations of the world. And I like it this way. We really don't care that you don't, and I doubt that they do.

twenty_glyphs
08-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Then how come that brotherhood book was so out of canon? They are giving too much freedom to the writers And even if they planned it then it sucks, they should change it in the game. Maria should die of old age because her death was stupid and cheap. And Malik should die out in action.

Heck I am pretty ****ed off because this guy closed the doors for a future AC where you are Altair's kid and get to use his armor and stuff in the medieval ages. Fighting the Mongols and trying to kill Gnghis Khan and stuff.

If Ubi is smart, they wont go trough Bowden's path. And I really hope they dont.

I've read the Brotherhood novel, and it was not that out of canon. I have posted an explanation before for why I think AC2's ending is different in the book and game. The short of it is that the developers originally intended for Ezio to infiltrate the Vault in 1503 and then have Rodrigo poison himself. When the game was almost finished, they realized they wanted to use Rome in a DLC or something of the sort, and to use the rest of the Borgia family as antagonists, which would only be possible if Rodrigo was still alive. So they tweaked the ending at the last minute, but the novel already had their original story plan.

I have a strong feeling that Brotherhood's game ending was really rushed (which you can obviously tell when you play Sequence 8) and that some stuff got cut that had already been outlined for the novel. So all of Ezio tracking down Cesare was probably going to be in the game but had to get cut. The writer of Revelations said at Comic-Con that the books are canon, but sometimes stuff in the development process forces story changes and then the books don't line up entirely. He said the books are canon unless the games contradict them.

So you're right, they could change Maria's death, but I wouldn't count on it. I thought Maria's death was fine, if not written all that well in the book. I think her death is significant because there is something about the Apple that brings sorrow. Al Mualim quoted from Ecclesiastes and said "He who increases knowledge, increases sorrow." Alta´r mused in The Secret Crusade that perhaps the Apple first had to take in order to give. And when Desmond asked where the Temples are, it caused him quite a bit of sorrow.

SweetsMachineGun
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised people are complaining about the events of the book rather than Bowden's crappy writing. The incomplete sentences and repetitive description are more offensive to me than the story.

The story isn't TERRIBLE, but I question a lot of the author's logic. If I remember correctly Altair and Maria retreat to the very room their enemy had given them to stay in after breaking Malik out of prison, not even trying to find somewhere more discreet, and then they LEAVE Malik there unattended. Like the enemy isn't going to find out you broke your friend out of prison and check your residence? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I don't imagine Altair as this stupid.

ShaneO7K
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sharkbot:
I'm surprised people are complaining about the events of the book rather than Bowden's crappy writing. The incomplete sentences and repetitive description are more offensive to me than the story.

The story isn't TERRIBLE, but I question a lot of the author's logic. If I remember correctly Altair and Maria retreat to the very room their enemy had given them to stay in after breaking Malik out of prison, not even trying to find somewhere more discreet, and then they LEAVE Malik there unattended. Like the enemy isn't going to find out you broke your friend out of prison and check your residence? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I don't imagine Altair as this stupid.
The story is decent, I just think Ubisoft gave him too much freedom and didn't really bother to argue if things didn't look right.

Pitalla
08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
So much for the Malik and Maria fans. Those are popular characters that we have grown to love and cherish.

Killing Maria is doing the same over and over again. We already got our tragic hero with tragic past: Ezio

Altair it's the hero and thus should have a heroic life with dark fantasy theme like in the 1st game.
I really hope that they do not kill Maria, after all it's just a novelization and not the actual book.

The Altair from the book doesn't really seem like Altair to me, it doesn't act like it.

ThaWhistle
08-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Is it me or are most book tie ins for games usually pretty bad.

agitatedchimp
08-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
You should probably be mad at Ubisoft for approving Bowden's outlines and manuscripts then, because you can bet he's not doing anything without their sign-off. Do you really think they are just letting him come in and kill off characters and keep themselves from using those characters in other games? Besides that, if Ubisoft really wanted to use any of those characters again, all they have to do is ignore the book and have the canon event happen in their game. I don't see how you're complaining that the writer of the novel adaptation of the game isn't creating stories in his own area of the universe when his job is to adapt the stories from the games, and he works closely with the writers of those games as well. I'm pretty sure you will find events from The Secret Crusade mentioned or alluded to in Revelations, and it won't be because Bowden forced them into using those stories.

AMEN to that!

Pitalla
08-19-2011, 02:12 PM
AMEN to that!

did you just signed to comment on this?

Many fans of the characters that he killed are very VERY upset, including me.

Not only that but he is again repeating the formula of killing the love interest, in this case Maria taking the place of Cristina. Which I think it's pretty irritating and trolling from his part.

They could had picked someone with more imagination and with better narrative skills IMO.

agitatedchimp
08-19-2011, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

If Ubi is smart, they wont go trough Bowden's path. And I really hope they dont. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If 'for a future AC where you are Altair's kid and get to use his armor and stuff in the medieval ages.' There woouldnt be no Ezio, no AC 2 and no AC:B so your never going to be happy until you relize that what you want is never going to happen? Do you really think you could do a better job than oliver bowden because i really doubt it. And i believe that the AC.B book had one event that was out of cannnon. You're complaining about maliks death and Maria dying, i surpose you think the life of an assassin would be fun with a nice happily ever after ending. And finally how would you know exactly what stuff Oliver Bowden did with his freedom and what Ubisoft had done personally to the story you don't so top crying about and blaming it on the author who has done IMO a brilliant job

LightRey
08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't really like the way he ended Malik and Maria's lives either. I also found it somewhat annoying that he let Alta´r turn into some kind of depressed old hobo for the better part of his final years. It's all just so typical for a novel. I really hate how primitive novel writers can be when it comes to thinking of intriguing/dramatic events, coming up with such typical and unappealing things such as a betrayal by an old friend and the accidental death of a loved one. I feel novel writers are so focused on the way they portray things that they stop paying attention to what exactly it is they're portraying.

ShaneO7K
08-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
I don't really like the way he ended Malik and Maria's lives either. I also found it somewhat annoying that he let Alta´r turn into some kind of depressed old hobo for the better part of his final years. It's all just so typical for a novel. I really hate how primitive novel writers can be when it comes to thinking of intriguing/dramatic events, coming up with such typical and unappealing things such as a betrayal by an old friend and the accidental death of a loved one. I feel novel writers are so focused on the way they portray things that they stop paying attention to what exactly it is they're portraying.

I'm surprised Ubisoft allowed him to turn the characters into that and change their personalities so much. They gave him too much freedom to write whatever he wanted.

Jexx21
08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I'm surprised Ubisoft allowed him to turn the characters into that and change their personalities so much. They gave him too much freedom to write whatever he wanted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you guys know that UbiSoft didn't tell him to write it that way? Lol..

ShaneO7K
08-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I'm surprised Ubisoft allowed him to turn the characters into that and change their personalities so much. They gave him too much freedom to write whatever he wanted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you guys know that UbiSoft didn't tell him to write it that way? Lol.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't but it seems that way with how the books story went, and with the previous books it's pretty obvious they don't get too involved with the writing of the books.

Jexx21
08-19-2011, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dead_gunner187:

How do you guys know that UbiSoft didn't tell him to write it that way? Lol.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't but it seems that way with how the books story went, and with the previous books it's pretty obvious they don't get too involved with the writing of the books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they tell him to write the books different from the game on purpose. Otherwise it would just be a repeat of the games which they mostly are anyway.

ShaneO7K
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

I think they tell him to write the books different from the game on purpose. Otherwise it would just be a repeat of the games which they mostly are anyway.

In my opinion the only other fiction which followed the fiction of the games and supports what happens in modern times would be The Fall.

The story fits so well with the games where as I don't get the same feeling from the books by Bowden.

As an example Halo probably has the best books as they create a great back story and give life out the games. 343i make sure it stays with canon and doesn't conflict with the existing timeline, and they would change a writers story if needed.

I just feel Ubisoft should take this approach more.

Jexx21
08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

In my opinion the only other fiction which followed the fiction of the games and supports what happens in modern times would be The Fall.

The story fits so well with the games where as I don't get the same feeling from the books by Bowden.

As an example Halo probably has the best books as they create a great back story and give life out the games. 343i make sure it stays with canon and doesn't conflict with the existing timeline, and they would change a writers story if needed.

I just feel Ubisoft should take this approach more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the books being different. They feel more like accounts written by either Ezio himself who didn't write everything he knew, or people close to him.

And I don't read Halo books or play Halo at all. If they put all the games on the PC I probably would though.

dxsxhxcx
08-19-2011, 05:11 PM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Fall was so cool that I wouldn't mind if they decide to make a game about Daniel Cross showing us the events of the comic and a little more about him and Nikolai...

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM

I just feel Ubisoft should take this approach more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the books being different. They feel more like accounts written by either Ezio himself who didn't write everything he knew, or people close to him.

And I don't read Halo books or play Halo at all. If they put all the games on the PC I probably would though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, the Halo books ARE different. They're all telling stories that are only glimpsed or referenced in the game, or some that you never even hear about in the games. The thing is, they just don't break the canon of the universe to do it. It's amazing when you can trust the story of the games as much as the books to be a part of the same universe. Bowdens adaptations are like a less cool version of the same universe.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
The thing is, the Halo books ARE different. They're all telling stories that are only glimpsed or referenced in the game, or some that you never even hear about in the games. The thing is, they just don't break the canon of the universe to do it. It's amazing when you can trust the story of the games as much as the books to be a part of the same universe. Bowdens adaptations are like a less cool version of the same universe.
Yeah, every single one of the Halo novels was an awesome read. This thread is making me want to read them again...
I guess I'll wait till I've played Halo: Anniversary though.

LumZi
08-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Personally, I don't really like what he wrote in AC: Renaissance. I picked that up because I am a fan of Assassins Creed, but I found it slightly vague and I couldn't get to grips with it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Not sure about the other books though, maybe they are better...

Pitalla
08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
If 'for a future AC where you are Altair's kid and get to use his armor and stuff in the medieval ages.' There woouldnt be no Ezio, no AC 2 and no AC:B so your never going to be happy until you relize that what you want is never going to happen? Do you really think you could do a better job than oliver bowden because i really doubt it. And i believe that the AC.B book had one event that was out of cannnon. You're complaining about maliks death and Maria dying, i surpose you think the life of an assassin would be fun with a nice happily ever after ending. And finally how would you know exactly what stuff Oliver Bowden did with his freedom and what Ubisoft had done personally to the story you don't so top crying about and blaming it on the author who has done IMO a brilliant job

How the heck would there be no Ezio? If Altair's kid is his ancestor. If it all, that would explain many things of what happened years after the events of bloodlines.
Besides Fighting the Mongols would be fresh and nice. Since they are not templars and the whole everyone is a templar it's starting to get out of hand. And this would show the many enemies the Assasin's have. He could also bring the expansion of the Assasin order to the east lands.

You cannot even write your defense properly and yes I am sure that I would do a helluva better job than Oliver Bowden. I seek a career in screen writing and book writing after all.