PDA

View Full Version : When did Altair get a big head?

Hayabusa Sushi
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
So after reading The Secret Crusade and watching the 9 minute Gamescon demo, I wondered how that modest, understanding Altair turned into the arrogant, angry one at the start of Assassin's Creed. Was it his fast-track to Master Assassin that made him think that he was better than everyone? Does anyone know the answer or do we have to wait until Revelations to find out?

LightRey
08-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by haloblivion:
So after reading The Secret Crusade and watching the 9 minute Gamescon demo, I wondered how that modest, understanding Altair turned into the arrogant, angry one at the start of Assassin's Creed. Was it his fast-track to Master Assassin that made him think that he was better than everyone? Does anyone know the answer or do we have to wait until Revelations to find out?
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha.

ace3001
08-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haloblivion:
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Damn, I really should play the NDS game to find more about that time, I guess. Too bad the pathetic graphics turn me off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LightRey
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haloblivion:
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Damn, I really should play the NDS game to find more about that time, I guess. Too bad the pathetic graphics turn me off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hehe, I didn't play it either. I just use other media like the wikia to keep up to date with the story.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 12:32 AM
I think it was mainly his continued success and praise from other Assassins. Adha may have made him sad, but I don't think she made him boastful.

StarScream391
08-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I came in here to comment on the title, Lmfao.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
I think it was mainly his continued success and praise from other Assassins. Adha may have made him sad, but I don't think she made him boastful.
I think he'd not only be sad, but also angry at the Templars, which, of course made him become more aggressive, which in turn made his fellow Assassins question his actions, which he would try to defend with his status/abilities and by interpreting "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." in the way he did at the beginning of AC1. This would have lead him to become the way he was at the beginning of AC1.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
I think he'd not only be sad, but also angry at the Templars, which, of course made him become more aggressive, which in turn made his fellow Assassins question his actions, which he would try to defend with his status/abilities and by interpreting "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." in the way he did at the beginning of AC1. This would have lead him to become the way he was at the beginning of AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is true, but it should be noted that he killed everyone responsible for Adha's death before the events of AC1, and the secret crusade says that once he did he felt no release, only emptiness. Or it might have been after AC1. I dunno. Either way, I think it might have just made him more bitter and want to be the best assassin even more.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 02:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
I think he'd not only be sad, but also angry at the Templars, which, of course made him become more aggressive, which in turn made his fellow Assassins question his actions, which he would try to defend with his status/abilities and by interpreting "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." in the way he did at the beginning of AC1. This would have lead him to become the way he was at the beginning of AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is true, but it should be noted that he killed everyone responsible for Adha's death before the events of AC1, and the secret crusade says that once he did he felt no release, only emptiness. Or it might have been after AC1. I dunno. Either way, I think it might have just made him more bitter and want to be the best assassin even more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was after, so it doesn't apply.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 02:36 AM
This is true, but it should be noted that he killed everyone responsible for Adha's death before the events of AC1, and the secret crusade says that once he did he felt no release, only emptiness. Or it might have been after AC1. I dunno. Either way, I think it might have just made him more bitter and want to be the best assassin even more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was after, so it doesn't apply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, well in that case he didn't even know she was dead! I don't think it would have affected him as much.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 02:45 AM

Ah, well in that case he didn't even know she was dead! I don't think it would have affected him as much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dunno. The kidnapping of someone you love by your greatest enemies should be pretty upsetting. I'd say it could easily trigger the chain of events I posted about earlier.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 02:52 AM

Ah, well in that case he didn't even know she was dead! I don't think it would have affected him as much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dunno. The kidnapping of someone you love by your greatest enemies should be pretty upsetting. I'd say it could easily trigger the chain of events I posted about earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meh, it doesn't seem like something that would make him boastful. more like something that would make him withdrawn.

Turkiye96
08-21-2011, 02:54 AM
personally i am gona go with after adha's death he had nothing in his life but his creed focusing on it more and more, becoming less of a ''person'' and more or a cold killing machine ( as Calvarok suggested he would be more withdrawn). but im pretty sure that that wouldn't have caused his attitude, maybe we will find out in revelations.

Black_Widow9
08-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by StarScream391:
I came in here to comment on the title, Lmfao.

If you don't have anything to add to the Topic I would suggest not posting.

itsamea-mario
08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
To be fair it was a misleading title.

I hope there is a good reason for it and not just ubi forgetting.

SupremeCaptain
08-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Altair could of saved Adha, but he got on the wrong ship and she got away. So Altair must of took the blame on himself and started getting arrogant.

dman1988
08-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Damn, I really should play the NDS game to find more about that time, I guess. Too bad the pathetic graphics turn me off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure I've seen a walkthrough for the game somewhere on youtube.Also I think they made the graphics better on the iPhone.

TachyonicRage
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
if you noticed from the gamescom gameplay video; altair was growing in wisdom. At the time altair became a master assasin he believed that had all the wisdom in the world especially when he was the mentor's right hand man. of course you would get a big head, especially when your father figure was the mentor of the order.
Altair: My dad is the boss so you bes no you place
Malik: But Altair ... The Creed
Altair: Soon my old man will die and i will be the boss around these ends. That's right

Blind2Society
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
I'm more inclined to believe something along these lines. But as with you, I hope not.

It seems the line, "as was his right", and the mentality behind it is in direct contradiction of Altair's attitude in the beginning of AC. This is what leads me to believe Ubi took some creative liberties that they shouldn't have. But once again, I hope I'm wrong.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
I'm more inclined to believe something along these lines. But as with you, I hope not.

It seems the line, "as was his right", and the mentality behind it is in direct contradiction of Altair's attitude in the beginning of AC. This is what leads me to believe Ubi took some creative liberties that they shouldn't have. But once again, I hope I'm wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well AC1 takes place about 6 years later, after Altair has become jaded from killing so many people and getting so much praise. Ubisoft SAID in the first game that he had once been a true assassin. I don't know how you can say Ubi took to many crative liberties when they never really defined what Altair was like six years before AC, and the way they present him now corroborates with the vauge things they DID say.

Blind2Society
08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I disagree. I doesn't make any sense. Arrogance defines Altairs character in the beginnign of AC an in the end he is humble and wise. He is humble andwise but even more so in the gameplay demo. The change from humble and wise to arrogant teenager and back simply doesn't make sense to me.

dman1988
08-22-2011, 12:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blind2Society:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:

It seems the line, "as was his right", and the mentality behind it is in direct contradiction of Altair's attitude in the beginning of AC. This is what leads me to believe Ubi took some creative liberties that they shouldn't have. But once again, I hope I'm wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well AC1 takes place about 6 years later, after Altair has become jaded from killing so many people and getting so much praise. Ubisoft SAID in the first game that he had once been a true assassin. I don't know how you can say Ubi took to many crative liberties when they never really defined what Altair was like six years before AC, and the way they present him now corroborates with the vauge things they DID say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know this is six years before AC 1?

LightRey
08-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by dman1988:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blind2Society:

Well AC1 takes place about 6 years later, after Altair has become jaded from killing so many people and getting so much praise. Ubisoft SAID in the first game that he had once been a true assassin. I don't know how you can say Ubi took to many crative liberties when they never really defined what Altair was like six years before AC, and the way they present him now corroborates with the vauge things they DID say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know this is six years before AC 1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We know his age.

luckyto
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I think Ubisoft realized they botched his character in the first game, and are looking to rewrite history.

Grandmaster_Z
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by luckyto:
I think Ubisoft realized they botched his character in the first game, and are looking to rewrite history.

YES!!

Will_Lucky
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is the reason, alongside his increased naive and optimistic attitude he appears to have from being so young.

Serrachio
08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Will_Lucky:
My money's on the Templars kidnapping Adha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is the reason, alongside his increased naive and optimistic attitude he appears to have from being so young. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Along with Al Mualim denying him from going after her? Just a guess.

Calvarok
08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I disagree. I doesn't make any sense. Arrogance defines Altairs character in the beginnign of AC an in the end he is humble and wise. He is humble andwise but even more so in the gameplay demo. The change from humble and wise to arrogant teenager and back simply doesn't make sense to me.
He's more naaive and optimistic in the demo than truly wise.
And he's a teenager in the demo. In AC1 he's about 25.

If I look around me in my life, I have seen many people become arrogant in 6 years, when before they were a joy to be around. It's not as unusual as you think. Altair in the demo talks as if he's using what his teachers have taught him. Altair in AC1 talks as though he thinks he has surpassed his teachers in knowledge and ability.

E-Zekiel
08-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Love makes people ******ed. When you're in love you can do a disproportionate number of completely idiotic things to the point of ridiculousness. And from an outside point of view, you can see how stupid it is, but it doesn't seem as such from the inside.

So I agree here:

Originally posted by Turkiye96:
personally i am gona go with after adha's death he had nothing in his life but his creed focusing on it more and more, becoming less of a ''person'' and more or a cold killing machine ( as Calvarok suggested he would be more withdrawn). but im pretty sure that that wouldn't have caused his attitude, maybe we will find out in revelations.

I think that he lost hope in being a good person when Adha died, coping with pain through arrogance and a general disdain/disrespect for life in general.

ShaneO7K
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM

I think he may have had a massive ego boost when he became master assassin and then considered people to be less important to him and that he was above the creed.

I think it took the removal of all his ranks and having to get them again to realise how badly he had been acting and his arrogance.

LightRey
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

Love makes people ******ed. When you're in love you can do a disproportionate number of completely idiotic things to the point of ridiculousness. And from an outside point of view, you can see how stupid it is, but it doesn't seem as such from the inside.

So I agree here:

I think that he lost hope in being a good person when Adha died, coping with pain through arrogance and a general disdain/disrespect for life in general. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Adha wasn't dead yet.

Panfaun
08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I think they did that so they'd have a good reason to start us off on level 1 then let us raise back up again. With the way Altair handled himself on that mission, I'm surprised he wasn't killed earlier or just botched an assassination since he handled that one so poorly.

Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
Altair could of saved Adha, but he got on the wrong ship and she got away. So Altair must of took the blame on himself and started getting arrogant.

Wouldn't that have made him more focused and less arrogant? You get arrogant by doing and being told you're the best. How does messing up make you think you're the best?

SupremeCaptain
08-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Panfaun:
I think they did that so they'd have a good reason to start us off on level 1 then let us raise back up again. With the way Altair handled himself on that mission, I'm surprised he wasn't killed earlier or just botched an assassination since he handled that one so poorly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:

Wouldn't that have made him more focused and less arrogant? You get arrogant by doing and being told you're the best. How does messing up make you think you're the best? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keyword is "started". It didn't make him arrogant, but it helped him become it.

Love makes you do a lot of things, like E-Zekiel said. Of course he is not going to say "Adha's gone, and I could of saved her. Oh well. Back to Al Mualim. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif"

It's not that hard to get what I'm coming from.

Panfaun
08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panfaun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:

Wouldn't that have made him more focused and less arrogant? You get arrogant by doing and being told you're the best. How does messing up make you think you're the best? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keyword is "started". It didn't make him arrogant, but it helped him become it.

Love makes you do a lot of things, like E-Zekiel said. Of course he is not going to say "Adha's gone, and I could of saved her. Oh well. Back to Al Mualim. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif"

It's not that hard to get what I'm coming from. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it's not that hard to get where you're coming from when you're the one saying it.

What you're saying is that, if I failed a subject I would get arrogant and wonder why I didn't pass the class. Arrogance comes from being boastful and therefore getting a big head from doing great things. Why get arrogant, having an exaggerated sense of your abilities and importance, when you messed up.

I'd understand if it made him more focused, but starting him on the path of arrogance doesn't make much since. He didn't even distance himself from other assassins as he boast to Malik and his brother about how awesome he is.

E-Zekiel
08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

So I agree here:

I think that he lost hope in being a good person when Adha died, coping with pain through arrogance and a general disdain/disrespect for life in general. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Adha wasn't dead yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well. missing anyway. I think you take my point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Though, granted, that is a little on the irrational side when death is yet unconfirmed - but, I defer back to my first point that love turns people into morons.

LightRey
08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Well. missing anyway. I think you take my point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Though, granted, that is a little on the irrational side when death is yet unconfirmed - but, I defer back to my first point that love turns people into morons.
Yeah, I just wanted to set the record straight :P

dman1988
08-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by luckyto:

What was wrong with his character in the first game?

Calvarok
08-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by dman1988:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luckyto:

What was wrong with his character in the first game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A lot of people found his relentlessly monotone American accent and obliviousness to Al Maulim's obviously being evil annoying, and he was so focused on his job all the time that it got a little tiring.

But he was a good character nonetheless, and the structure of AC1's plot didn't give him much space to show he HAD a character. Bloodlines and AC2 greatly expanded on him with the codex pages, which showed how wise and thoughtful he was, and really delved into his personal thoughts. I've got a feeling he'll be shown in a far better framework to be appealing this time around, plus the actor has dropped the american accent, and already has shown more emotion in his delivery of Altair before his arrogance.

dman1988
08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dman1988:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luckyto:

What was wrong with his character in the first game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A lot of people found his relentlessly monotone American accent and obliviousness to Al Maulim's obviously being evil annoying, and he was so focused on his job all the time that it got a little tiring.

But he was a good character nonetheless, and the structure of AC1's plot didn't give him much space to show he HAD a character. Bloodlines and AC2 greatly expanded on him with the codex pages, which showed how wise and thoughtful he was, and really delved into his personal thoughts. I've got a feeling he'll be shown in a far better framework to be appealing this time around, plus the actor has dropped the american accent, and already has shown more emotion in his delivery of Altair before his arrogance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monotone,I never really thought it was monotone.I just felt Altair was a much more reserved character than the others and that he didn't really want to say something unless it was important.I myself didn't see Al Mualim's betrayal coming.I felt like as he killed more of his targets and his guard toward Malik was beginning to weaken that his character began to shine through more.Aside from getting together with Maria Bloodlines really didn't do much for Altair and I personally preferred his voice in AC1.

E-Zekiel
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Oblivious? Where do you get off thinking he is oblivious? He outright questions Al-Mualim on several occasions. He yields, obviously, but he is far from oblivious, and I think anyone who would claim that he was totally oblivious to Al-Mualim's contradictions are completely off-base.

LightRey
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Oblivious? Where do you get off thinking he is oblivious? He outright questions Al-Mualim on several occasions. He yields, obviously, but he is far from oblivious, and I think anyone who would claim that he was totally oblivious to Al-Mualim's contradictions are completely off-base.
Yeah, if there was any assassin in the game that was anything but oblivious it was Alta´r. Before he rides to Arsuf he even says to Malik that Al Mualim is keeping things from them, important things. Not to mention that throughout the game he continuously questions Al Mualim's decisions.

Calvarok
08-23-2011, 04:50 PM
He questioned Al Mualim repeatedly, and every time he was convinced again even though his answers weren't that convincing. I understand what they were trying to go for, but they should have presented it differently if they didn't want it to apprear like he's quite gullible. Al Mualim should have inspired more confidence.