PDA

View Full Version : Neewbie here please help :)

grendel1976
08-23-2006, 09:30 AM
hello to the forum, I recently got IL-2 Complete Edition, I absolutely love it the game is amazing, I just have a couple of (maybe dumb) questions about the single player (offline) missions:

1-how can I know if I actually finished a mission? what should I do?, after receiving the "Mission complete" message I always return to the base and land, but after landing I don't know what to do, hit esc? "quit mission" and then "done"? that's it? but the problem is I can do that even if I do fail on the mission, is that normal? ...wich lead me to the next question...

2-Where can I check my accomplished missions so far? my points? etc, I mean how/where can I see if a mission is accomplished or if I never did it?

thanks a lot for any help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

steve_v
08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
There should be an IL2 Manual in pdf format in your directory.
See Section 12, Pilot Career (Campaign mode). That should answer all the questions you've asked.

grendel1976
08-23-2006, 09:47 AM
ok thanks Steve I'll check it out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Grendel-

After you get a 'mission complete' message, the primary mission is literally done and no further victory parameters for your primary goal need to be met.

There may however be secondary goals you could still accomplish. For this reason, the sim doesn't just automatically end a mission at any time, unless you die or bail out. Every time you want to end a mission therefore, you must hit "ESC" and then select 'end mission'

When you start up the sim, and you go to 'pilot career' from the main page, you will see a list of all careers currently active. You may use one of the buttons at the bottom of that screen to check the status of any highlighted career

Xiolablu3
08-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Grendel, come and play online.

Think offline fun x 1000.

PM me if you need any help getting set up.

Major_V
08-23-2006, 10:01 AM
grendel:

Welcome to IL2 and the forum. I think you will find this sim to be great fun both offline and online, and very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

To answer you questions, once you see the "Mission Complete" message in the mission, that means you have accomplished all of the primary (i.e., essential) objectives for that mission. In many campaigns, this often requires you to land safely at the airfield, but this is not always the case. Also, it depends on whether you checked "No Instant Success" in the diffculty menus when you first created the campaign (or just before you started the stand-alone single mission)--when this is UNchecked, you automatically get the "Mission Accomplished" message as soon as you take off, even if you never see an enemy, make it to a waypoint or return to base. After you receive the message and are through with the mission, you hit "ESC" and then "Quit Mission"--if you are flying a campaign (as opposed to a single mission) you will then see a green "Apply" button--this logs the fact that you successfully completed this mission of the campaign and generates the next mission in the campaign. If you are only flying a single stand-alone mission, then you only get the "done" button--your successful completion is not logged (or "applied") since there is no ongoing campaign in which to keep a record. Single missions are one shot and you're through, whether you succeed or not.

To check your record in a campaign, you need to hit the "roster" button at the bottom, highlight your name, and then hit another button that I can't recall the name of (something like "documents"). I believe this lists all of your kills and lets you see any medals you have earned. Once again, this is available only in a campaign and not in a single mission.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Major V

grendel1976
08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
many many thanks for the welcome and for the rich replies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif this is truly a great forum.

Yes I was flying only on the stand alone missions (maybe a bit scared to try campaign at first ehehe) and that's why I couldn't find the "apply" button and I was receiving no rewards, I'll try now the campaign (dynamic or static)and when I get the hang of it I'll try the online part of the game

thanks again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

cheers!

Divine-Wind
08-23-2006, 10:25 AM
One thing if you start a campaign - Feel free to mute the radio at any time. If you get even an inch off course your flight leader will be on you faster a pissed off drill sergeant on a ******ed marine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Zeus-cat
08-23-2006, 09:12 PM
grendel,

The campaigns that come with the game are usually not very good. I suggest you download some user-made campaigns. See the link below for my stuff. Two of my campaigns will work in PF stand alone (Straight Shot and Straight Down). Most user-made campaigns come with a readme file that tells you how to install it.

There is a lot of excellent stuff you can play. See this thread in the mission builders forum.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/3471086183

Don't be afraid to get online and play either. Its a lot of fun even if all you ever do is get shot down.

grendel1976
08-24-2006, 07:40 AM
thanks for the tips guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Zeus, I'll try downloading a couple of user made mission, thanks for the link.

I'm a bout to start a campaign, but they are all "dynamic" campaigns, can't find the option to start a "static" campaign, If I understood well there should be "dymanic" and "static" campaigns, right?. wich kind of campaign is better to start with? (sorry for too many questions eheh)

btw, is it better to use the "no instant succes" ON or OFF? I mean if I switch it to "on" I will not be able to play other missions if I don't succesfully finish/land/stop the current one, right? (it's more realistic this way I think)

cheers!

Zeus-cat
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
The user made campaigns are static. That means no matter what you do in one mission, it has no effect on the next mission.

I think you should use "No Instant Success" off. Some missions are very hard or impossible to complete. If you leave "No Instant Success" on you may not be able to advance to the next mission. That is not realistic in my opinion.

AlGroover
08-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Don't get too concerned about the difference between dynamic and static campaigns. I've never noticed any difference in the way they play.

Treetop64
08-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Welcome aboard!

One of the great things about this sim is it's flexibility. It's great both online and offline, and has enjoyed tons of growth in both realms. Once you get comfortable with the out-of-box version of the game, you can install tons of great addons; skins, campaigns, utilities, you name it. And virtually all of them are free. Many are of exceptional, pay-ware quality.

Bearcat has a link in his signature connecting to all of those add-ons.

I'm an offliner 99.9 percent of the time, and I swear by the addons DCG (a Dynamic Campaign Generator) and Stag (a utility configurator for IL-2).

UQMG (a more comprehensive quick mission generator) is another great utility worth investigating.

grendel1976
08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
thanks again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I just found an Italian campaign ("Aces of Italy" I think), I did put all the things in their places and it works fine (I can even hear the radio chat in italian language) so maybe I'll start with this static one, and I'll follow Zeus advice in leaving "no instant succes" OFF

cheers!

GerritJ9
08-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Have fun! Once you get hooked, you will find yourself downloading more and more single missions and campaigns which community members have made. Eventually, you might even start making your own missions. The "Full Mission Builder" looks a bit daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it. There are some excellent mission building manuals available, plus lots of veteran mission/campaign builders who will happily give you advice!