PDA

View Full Version : My Response to the tree of mythology thread

Mikatsuki95
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
The title says it all. I copied and pasted my comment from that topic on to my own as I wanted it to get more attention. Here it is

That thing being a tree is a good guess but I have my doubts. Those markings like the ones you find on the apple itself definitely depict something. We saw them in the vault in the vatican and the one by Juno's temple.

Something I want to point out thought. In AC2 when Ezio speaks to Minerva, she talks about her kind being gone. "The others too" she said, then points to some small structures behind Ezio with those peculiar markings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djmu8bMbmsg
Its at around 1:30

What's my point? The markings on those structures the camera pointed to, may have well have been depicting the "gods" Minerva was mentioning.

Now if this is true and those markings did depict the "gods" then this means we can't determine their meaning by mere appearance. We have to know what they are meant to represent.

Example:Say you saw the word "house" on a wall. You couldn't determine the word's meaning by the physical appearance of its letters. The word itself isn't a picture of a house right? Just a word meaning "house".

Now assuming what I said is true about those structures depicting "gods" in the video I linked, then we can conclude the markings aren't pictures, as they clearly did not literally show us how the gods looked. So if they aren't pictures, then they must be some kind of alphabet. But to be fair to the op, they may be some kind of advanced form of hieroglyphics and not just purely letters.

Now again, this all rests on whether those structures truly did depict "gods" as I said earlier. And that they aren't pictures but letters or some form of hieroglyphics.

I can't prove any of this is right mind you, but its a possibility worth mentioning.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Interesting take on all of this. It would explain why early writings started out as heiroglyphs.

LightRey
08-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe it's not just the markings that depict the gods, but also the structures themselves.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 03:40 PM
To be perfectly honest, my first impression of the structures were that of the circut boards on The Ancients machines from Star Gate. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Please let there be another SG fan out there...

naran6142
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Poodle_of_Doom:
To be perfectly honest, my first impression of the structures were that of the circut boards on The Ancients machines from Star Gate. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Please let there be another SG fan out there...

your not alone bro

Mikatsuki95
08-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Anyways, again I believe these markings to be an alphabet of some kind, or an ancient type of hieroglyphics. They have to be showing something.
But I realized an unfortunate down side to my theory if it is right.

If these markings are what I said they were, then that means it will be impossible to interpret their meaning. Why? Because we don't know the language. Unless the next title teaches us how to read these things (and I hope they do), we can't figure them out. And to my knowledge these markings aren't exactly distinctive to any culture or civilization. In the Ac universe they shouldn't be. After all they are what their title implies, "Those Who Came Before", they came before man so their language wouldn't resemble ours. If anything ours would resemble theirs. So the language isn't based off of one from any civilization (for the purposes of the game), so we can't deduce its origin or compare it to anything. That means again, we would need to be showed how to read it in a future game.

Now thats all assuming these markings are actually a language of some kind. I highly doubt they were made just for show. They were given a bit of attention in the Da vinci Disappearance dlc when he said they were "out of order" or something and when he fixed it you reach the vault. My point there is that the markings served a purpose no matter how big or small it was, so it wasn't created just for show, and the dlc example is the only one available to support this.

But to sum this up, that all relies on whether or not these markings are some form of ancient language. And in my personal opinion, they aren't there for show. They were given too much attention in the dlc to just be nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...IUAU&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gqjmxIUAU&feature=related)

Here's the link to the example I mentioned. Skip to about 9:55.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 05:25 PM
You have only one fault in what you just said. It's not that they can't be interpreted. It's that there's not enough of a writing sample to do so. Any cryptologist would tell you that (I think that's the right title).

@Naran:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they were circutry of sorts.

Mikatsuki95
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
are you the only one reading this topic? Its not getting any real comments yet

LightRey
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:
I am too. It's just that I don't really have that much to say. It's an interesting theory and could very likely be true, but that's really all I can say about it.
It might be a good idea to look at the symbols the apple shows Ezio and Leonardo I guess. There might be something interesting to see that has to do with this theory.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 06:13 PM

My comments are real... or your being super imaginitive. One or the other.....

Mikatsuki95
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
@LightRey:yeah good point. Thankfully you can replay memories in Brotherhood unlike AC2. I'm gonna take another look and see if I cant find something new. and thanks for the kind opinion

@PoodleofDoom:I assume you're joking like I was. Besides if I was actually serious in my words you just quoted, trust me you'd know it. Notice how the joke is small compared to my other posts. Besides I like pokin fun at you

Annnyyywaayys, I'm getting off track here. Like I said I'm gonna go through the games again. Hopefully I'll find something to better support my theory

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
@PoodleofDoom:I assume you're joking like I was. Besides if I was actually serious in my words you just quoted, trust me you'd know it. Notice how the joke is small compared to my other posts. Besides I like pokin fun at you

Why so serious? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif I was kidding too...

Mikatsuki95
08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
god I hate that line. Anyway back to the topic. If we get too side tracked the managers will lock it

Poodle_of_Doom
08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Did you see what I meant about not having enough to analyze though??

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Weren't you able to move the camera around while minerva was talking? I remember seeing the planets when she talked about the others.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by zerocooll21:
Weren't you able to move the camera around while minerva was talking? I remember seeing the planets when she talked about the others.

I take it you didn't watch the full video? Or play the game?

LightRey
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
If I remember correctly you could only change the camera while Minerva was explaining the history of the humans and TWCB and the solar flare business (that's the bit with the planets). When she's talking about herself, Juno and Jupiter you can't move the camera around.

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zerocooll21:

I take it you didn't watch the full video? Or play the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah guy, didn't play or watch. Just like to come on here and mess with you.

Anyone else want to chime in? I could have sworn you were able to move the camera around while sh was talking.

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zerocooll21:
If I remember correctly you could only change the camera while Minerva was explaining the history of the humans and TWCB and the solar flare business (that's the bit with the planets). When she's talking about herself, Juno and Jupiter you can't move the camera around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes that does sound right, limited movement in some parts.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, for starters, if you watched the video posted by the OP, you'd realize what a God forsaken idiot you are by asking that ******* question. You obviously can move the camera around while shes talking. Second of all, you can see (<Sarcasm> Now I know this wasn't as obvious as the being able to move the camera </Sarcasm&gthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif that the person behind the controls moves Ezio over to the wall, and enables the head controls, to see exactly what Ezio see...

But you know what,... it's a good thing I didn't think you were serious *******. Or I'd of thought you were just here to screw around,... and play hell with my blood pressure....

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh poodle's, always so angry, grab a joint and relax http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was eluding to the fact if you can move the camera than the OP's point of meaning behind the symbols would be circumstantial. Its been almost 2 years since I played the game, hence the spotty knowledge.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh poodle's, always so angry, grab a joint and relax http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was eluding to the fact if you can move the camera than the OP's point of meaning behind the symbols would be circumstantial. Its been almost a year since I played the game, hence the spotty knowledge.

Shut the hell up.... No body cares. If you want information, go play the game again.

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Shut the hell up.... No body cares. If you want information, go play the game again.

Awwww sounds like someone needs their baby bottle. Maybe you can ask your mommy for a nice glass of milk to wash all that BS down with.

sfin1994
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

I was eluding to the fact if you can move the camera than the OP's point of meaning behind the symbols would be circumstantial. Its been almost a year since I played the game, hence the spotty knowledge.

Shut the hell up.... No body cares. If you want information, go play the game again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In times like this, I like to remember the uplifting words of my favourite song: (cough cough) Cry me a river...

LightRey
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm replaying ACB again. Minerva's vault has those symbols on the ceiling. I'll try to get some pics.

EDIT: I found something interesting. This might already have been discovered, but there are texts written in cuneiform on the walls of the vault.

zerocooll21
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm replaying ACB again. Minerva's vault has those symbols on the ceiling. I'll try to get some pics.

EDIT: I found something interesting. This might already have been discovered, but there are texts written in cuneiform on the walls of the vault.

Which walls did you see the cuneiform?

LightRey
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

Which walls did you see the cuneiform? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Almost all of the walls in the Vault under the Vatican. It's on the "shiny" parts of the walls. I expect to see some in the other vaults as well.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/17166/1121285-o17top.jpg

Mikatsuki95
08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't suppose we can get someone to translate that stuff found in the vault?

blazefp
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
It seems to be that old Egyptians texts

LightRey
08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/17166/1121285-o17top.jpg
Is this from the vault? because I don't remember seeing these particular texts.

Mikatsuki95
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I thought the symbols on the walls were Sumerian?

LightRey
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm quite sure they were. That's why the picture there is somewhat confusing.

Mikatsuki95
08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Those resemble egyptian hieroglyphics. I don't know how to read them but I definitely recognize three symbols in that picture as such.

Anyways like you I'm pretty sure those symbols on the walls were Sumerian. By the way in ACB in Juno's temple, before you claim the treasure or Romulus on the walls there's definitely Sumerian symbols there too. Its by the wall you have to press B to interact with. The 'shiny' one.

LightRey
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Those resemble egyptian hieroglyphics. I don't know how to read them but I definitely recognize three symbols in that picture as such.

Anyways like you I'm pretty sure those symbols on the walls were Sumerian. By the way in ACB in Juno's temple, before you claim the treasure or Romulus on the walls there's definitely Sumerian symbols there too. Its by the wall you have to press B to interact with. The 'shiny' one.
Cool, my suspicions were correct. I wonder if they actually bothered to put something sensible on the walls or if it's just some random symbols. It's quite hard to figure out because they can be interpreted in so many different ways and I don't know any of them.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:
I'm quite sure they were. That's why the picture there is somewhat confusing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's it say, does anyone know?

LightRey
08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:
I'm quite sure they were. That's why the picture there is somewhat confusing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's it say, does anyone know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There appears to be a reference to some Egyptian pharaoh (there's a cartouche written down twice).

Mikatsuki95
08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Egypt huh? wonder what else those symbols could tell us. Actually I remember one of those assassin statues were involved in Egypt. Possible connection

LightRey
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Egypt huh? wonder what else those symbols could tell us. Actually I remember one of those assassin statues were involved in Egypt. Possible connection
good point. *looks up Cleopatra's Cartouche*

EDIT: nope it's not hers. :/

EDIT2: I'm pretty sure it's from the Ptolemaic Era.

EDIT3: there are four Ptolemaic pharaoh's I can find wit a cartouche that is almost identical to the one in the picture.
I found them here:
http://gei.aerobaticsweb.org/e..._pharaohs_greek.html (http://gei.aerobaticsweb.org/egypt_pharaohs_greek.html)

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
You guys are so freakin out of your league... What do you even think this has to do with AC? Personally, I don't think any of you would even get close to guessing....

Mikatsuki95
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
@LightRey:good find though. There's gotta be another reference to Egypt in the game. I got it! In the AC2 the truth. Some guy from Egypt held the the Staff of Eden. There may be something more there.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Guys.... what do they heiroglyphs say?

LightRey
08-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Guys.... what do they heiroglyphs say?
I don't know. Of course I don't know. I can't read friggin Egyptian. I can find out how it's pronounced and I know what a cartouche is, but beyond that, I have no idea. Besides, the text is incomplete, it continues outside the frame.
But this appears to be some random thing you posted, so I'm not going to look at it any further.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-12-2011, 09:07 AM
You caught me... Seemed as if a few of you thought it was something from the game for a second...

LightRey
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
You caught me... Seemed as if a few of you thought it was something from the game for a second...
So basically you were trolling.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
No,... I was hiding under a bridge. That's the difference.

LightRey
08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
No,... I was hiding under a bridge. That's the difference.
-___-

I'm going to see if I can find some stuff that might help link the texts on the walls to existing texts or something.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey, I don't know if you know Chinese, or what ever it may have been on the walls in the first game, but either way, could you put some pics of those up to? Maybe someone could translate those for us too...

twenty_glyphs
08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey, I don't know if you know Chinese, or what ever it may have been on the walls in the first game, but either way, could you put some pics of those up to? Maybe someone could translate those for us too...

Despite some factual inaccuracies here and there, the wiki really is an incredible resource:

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Cryptic_Messages

?????? ?????? ?????? ??????
Chinese letters reading "Hearing is better than not hearing, observing is better than hearing, knowing is better than observing, and doing is better than knowing."

??????? ???????
Chinese letters reading "You reap what you sow."

????? ?????
Chinese letters reading "One who wants to read into his future simply needs to write his own past."

???? ????
Chinese letters reading "A man without far sight, must have near worries."

????? ????? ????? ?????
Chinese letters reading "As a human being, if you want to know the spiritual realm of Buddha, you have to observe, you have to know that everything you see in the world comes from your own mind."

????????
Chinese letters reading "One who does not forget what was before is the master of what comes after."

I believe the last one was a glyph in AC2.

Mikatsuki95
08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Interesting lessons on life but they don't reveal anything new in the AC universe. If 16 didn't know Chinese I can conclude he had an ancestor in China and thanks to the bleeding effect, gave him an understanding of the language, to the extent of writing those messages at least. But even that doesn't tell us much.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Interesting, thanks for the translation.

LightRey
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
????? ????? ????? ?????
Chinese letters reading "As a human being, if you want to know the spiritual realm of Buddha, you have to observe, you have to know that everything you see in the world comes from your own mind."

I especially like this one.