PDA

View Full Version : True to scale maps ?

RS.Wedge
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I had some time on my hands and I thought it would be cool to see just how true to scale the maps are in IL2. I know this has probably been done before, but I wanted to see for myself.

On Map Quest I got driving directions from Caen, France to Falaise, France. According to Map Quest the distance is roughly 22 miles between the two cities. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you were flying at a speed of 200 mph this should take about 11 minutes of flight time to reach Falaise?

So I started up IL2 and went to the Normandy map. I took off from Caen in a P-51, anchored over Caen until my air speed was up to 190 mph or so. Then I headed south towards Falaise - keeping my speed right at 200 mph. I reached Falaise in 7 minutes. Not too bad - I guess?

RS.Wedge
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I had some time on my hands and I thought it would be cool to see just how true to scale the maps are in IL2. I know this has probably been done before, but I wanted to see for myself.

On Map Quest I got driving directions from Caen, France to Falaise, France. According to Map Quest the distance is roughly 22 miles between the two cities. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you were flying at a speed of 200 mph this should take about 11 minutes of flight time to reach Falaise?

So I started up IL2 and went to the Normandy map. I took off from Caen in a P-51, anchored over Caen until my air speed was up to 190 mph or so. Then I headed south towards Falaise - keeping my speed right at 200 mph. I reached Falaise in 7 minutes. Not too bad - I guess?

jurinko
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
You can easily check the real distances in GoogleEarth under the Tools/Measure and check the distances in IL-2 maps - the basic grid is 10x10km, with strong zoom 1x1km.

stathem
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
even better than that.

22 miles in 11 mins is 120mph.

200mph is a little over 3 miles per min, so 7 mins is pretty much spot on.

FritzGryphon
03-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just measure distances in the mission editor?

Or even easier still, take a screenshot of the map and overlay it with a real one.

Bearcat99
03-25-2007, 02:46 PM
The maps that are real maps are pretty spot on from what I remember... I recall someone posting an aerial pic from a place in The Crimea and showing us the same spot from the air in the sim.. and it was pretty amazing geographically anyway..

Skycat_2
03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
I've read before that some 'historic' maps take artistic liberties so to get various locations and topographic features onto a limited sized map. As I recall, the Ardennes maps are like that.

STENKA_69.GIAP
03-26-2007, 05:15 AM
I would not reccomend a holiday in Italy using that map...

luftluuver
03-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Soviet topo map of Stalingrad

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps/topograph/Stalingrad4.jpg