PDA

View Full Version : A Real Headscratcher

Freelancer-1
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
I need a simple explaination of what and why these different settings do. I've seen plenty of bland "it's the sensitivity" stuff. Great but what does each slider represent?

What EXACTLY is the difference between the three screens here?

The reason I'm asking is that my X52 rotaries at this point are way too sensitve when set for trim and I need to tone them down. I have seen different settings in different posts in various forums all claiming to do the same thing. Does anyone have a diffinitive answer?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Freelancer1/Misc/Settings.gif

Thanks for any enlightenment

wayno7777
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I think Tully's the man with the answers....

Copperhead310th
11-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey wait what is that Progie?
IL-2 Sticks?
Where'd ya get it and is it worth downloading?

Udidtoo
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
IL-2 Sticks?

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm

polak5
11-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I also downloaded this, but it left me scratching my head http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BSS_CUDA
11-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
IL-2 Sticks?

Copper it was instrumental in helping solve my Wobbles, that and the missing CFG line

redfeathers1948
11-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi I use the Saitek Profile Editor for rotary trim adjustment by using bands and edit bands window that I get when I right click Rotary button on Editor. I use the other utillity that you depict for my yaw,pitch,and roll axis.

Freelancer-1
11-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by redfeathers1948:
Hi I use the Saitek Profile Editor for rotary trim adjustment by using bands and edit bands window that I get when I right click Rotary button on Editor. I use the other utillity that you depict for my yaw,pitch,and roll axis.

I would greatly appreciate if you could go into a little more detail on how you set it up, redfeathers.

For example what settings do you leave it at in Sticks and how many bands with what settings in the profiler?

Thanks,

Tully__
11-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
What EXACTLY is the difference between the three screens here?
Each slider corresponds to 10% of the deflection range of the corresponding control. For centered controls such as trim and pitch/roll/yay it's counted as deflection from center, in axes like flaps, brake and power it's counted as deflection from zero.

The first slider on the left controls sensitivity from 0-10% deflection. If the slider is set at 100%, the slider will give 0-10% response over that range. If the slider is set at 50%, you'll get zero response at zero deflection up to 5% response at 10% deflection.

The second slider controls deflection from 10% to 20% deflection. If the second slider is set at 100% you'll get 10-20% control response as you move from 10-20% control deflection. If the second slider is set at 50% you'll get 5-10% response as you move from 10-20% deflection.

And so on for the third, fourth, etc.. sliders.

There is also some smoothing built in so that if you have slider 1 set at 50% and slider 2 set at 100% you don't get a sudden jump from 5% to 10% response as you move through 10% deflection.

The end result response curve of the above three settings would look roughly like this:

http://jennirivers.actewagl.net.au/sliders.jpg

As you can see, with the second settings all at 10%, you'll never achieve more than 10% response even at full control deflection. If you're ever flying at very high or very low speeds, this will not allow you to trim enough to fly hands off at those extremes.

There are some obvious deficiencies with this graph resulting from how MSExcel handles charts but I didn't have time to manually create the chart in a paint program. I may update it if I get time.

dieg777
11-30-2005, 03:37 AM
All changes to your stick settings in game are saved to your config file. Il2sticks is a great program for tuning your joystick in an easy manner without going into the game or editing the config file manually.

Instead of editing your config file, each time you test new settings, you can run IL2sticks and keep a number of profiles that you save to small files. Then you can load any of these profiles and this will overwrite the config file automatically.

e.g you may fly fighters and bombers , so you could have a profile for each. Or another useful hint is to have profiles for seperate types of planes e.g "turners" and "BnZ" types.

or when a new flight model comes along you might want to experiment to find out how best to set up your stick so you can keep all test settings until you hone them down to find your optimum.

The only other thing I can add is that 100 % on each is direct input so that the stick responds exactly to any inputs.
Some people find this too sensitive and that is why they set up stepped values to "dampen" down the way the stick responds to your input.

AFAIK this translates to the following for your settings - but hopefully TULLY will confirm this as I am not an expert on this-

Example1 has a progressivly more sensitive response as you move the rotery ( or axis ) ending up will full response

example2 you have a linear respons but have damped down the output range of your stick to a max 10%

example3 you have a linear direct response to any movement of your stick

Freelancer-1
11-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks, folks.

Tully, as always, a clear and concise answer. Much appreciated.

FoolTrottel
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
One would think this info should be readily available in the tool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Hm... maybe next version ...

Have Fun!