PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR track/replay bug

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:35 AM
I enjoy the patch a whole lot and think it has brought a whole lot more to the Il-2 FB table. However, it does have some glaring issues, as you will now see...

I was dogfighting a Bf-109E-4 in a Hurricane F.Mk IIb. After some difficulties in climbing up to his level and catching up with him, I managed to get real close and tear him apart with those 12 machine guns. I then saved it as a track so I could analyze the damage to the enemy close-up.

As soon as I played the track, I knew something was up. In the actual fight I managed to get his engine smoking with a head-on barrage, but in the track I hit him with only two or three glancing bullets. Things really started getting weird once I climbed to his level and started gaining on him. In the actual fight, I had doggedly stayed behind him. As I watched the playback, I was absolutely bewildered to see the enemy out-turn me and start tailing me, as the barrage I had destroyed him with in the actual fight flew through thin air.

Alternate universes, anyone?

"Oh no, the V-1 Doodlebug is heading for our bunghole!" ---David

"...I possess the wings of faith. Though heavy on my shoulder (no measurement can prove their weight), still a burden are they not to me. I am the challenger of gravity." ---Emperor

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:35 AM
I enjoy the patch a whole lot and think it has brought a whole lot more to the Il-2 FB table. However, it does have some glaring issues, as you will now see...

I was dogfighting a Bf-109E-4 in a Hurricane F.Mk IIb. After some difficulties in climbing up to his level and catching up with him, I managed to get real close and tear him apart with those 12 machine guns. I then saved it as a track so I could analyze the damage to the enemy close-up.

As soon as I played the track, I knew something was up. In the actual fight I managed to get his engine smoking with a head-on barrage, but in the track I hit him with only two or three glancing bullets. Things really started getting weird once I climbed to his level and started gaining on him. In the actual fight, I had doggedly stayed behind him. As I watched the playback, I was absolutely bewildered to see the enemy out-turn me and start tailing me, as the barrage I had destroyed him with in the actual fight flew through thin air.

Alternate universes, anyone?

"...I possess the wings of faith. Though heavy on my shoulder (no measurement can prove their weight), still a burden are they not to me. I am the challenger of gravity." ---Emperor

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:36 AM
im having same trouble with tracks

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 05:14 AM
The track reproduction errors are very difficult to get rid of because they are not errors in code, but are expected in any game.

They are caused due to minor processing errors caused by your own computer, which will cause certain things to go wrong. The problem is that the replay tracks are not videos, but are actually playing the mission in real time, trying its best to replicate how you flew and how the AI flew. To get bullett hits right, a timing error of a couple tens of milliseconds is completely unacceptable and will completely destroy it. Because the replay relies on causality, and I'm not talking about sequencing errors, you will see a completely unrecognizable and randomized AI vs. AI combat.

Small stutters in processing are unavoidable. The chance of replay error drastically increases with use of time acceleration and with the length of footage. Streamlining the code to even cause a noticeable improvement is impossible, youd have to write a new game engine from scratch and you'd probably reach results that are not any better.

To minimize errors, 1. cut as much footage before combat as possible. 2. dont use time acceleration at all. 3. minimize system load

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 05:36 AM
This was a relatively short track, with absolutely no time acceleration/deceleration of any sort used. With the original FB, I could record missions five times as long full of time accel and not see a single thing different from the actual mission.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Try the NTRK recorder. I havent had problems with it.

The old track util never did work well.

<div align=center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/fennec/plane.jpg </div><font size=-9>

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Well folks. I am not totally sure, but yesterday I saved a track about 10mins long and replayed it. Somehow, I thought I never was in that action ???? The planes did different things than I've done - somehow it seemde as everything was AI and acted on its own ??

I did not analyze it yesterday and I did not want to come forward with this before retrying - but it fits to this thread.

I never experienced any troubles with replaying before 1.1b, so I assume something has changed significantly !

HKLE

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 10:29 AM
One thing added: The saving time for the track was very short as compared to earlier versions ????

HKLE